What's new

Alum Blocks - are they worth it?

Does anyone have experience of using an Alum block? Are they worth the money? Are they any good if you have sensitive skin? I read that they can help keep bumps at bay as well as put out any irritation but they are a bit on the expensive side.

Your advice is appreciated.

I particurly took a liking to them when i started shaving with a straight.

get a cheep one from em's place, and give her a whirl; they'll last forever :smile:

I use one daily and it seems to really help with any small weepers and any burn. I've had it about 3 months now and it looks like it will last for many many more months. So cost per use is pretty good.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I still have mine. I cut myself on rare occasions but it happens. I usually don't get a lot of razor burn. I was using it a lot when I started and now I do not feel the need. As mentionned, get a cheap block and see how you go!

You can definitely get a cheap one for a few dollars and will never need to buy another. They're great for sealing up small weepers when you're going through a learning curve...

I have a styptic and from what I read that's what most people are using them for, so I may just stick to that. I don't generally suffer from burn only on very rare occasions when I get carried away and haven't had any nicks for ages (fully expect to get a face full of 'em tomorrow now!). I was more interested inthe claims for reducing bumps but I think that's more a side effect of the antiseptic properties.

Thanks for the advice.

I use one every time I shave. Got mine from an Indian grocery shop in the middle of Kuala Lumpur. While it does the job of stopping cuts and weepers, it helps with burn and irritation. If you have an Indian grocer in your vicinity, ask for alum, or phatkari (in the northern dialect) or padikara kal (in the southern dialect)

I use one every time I shave. Got mine from an Indian grocery shop in the middle of Kuala Lumpur. While it does the job of stopping cuts and weepers, it helps with burn and irritation. If you have an Indian grocer in your vicinity, ask for alum, or phatkari (in the northern dialect) or padikara kal (in the southern dialect)

Yes no need for the deluxe stuff, go to your'e local asian/ethinic store should be able to get one cheap. Mine cost about £0.50 GBP.

Normally I use a splash to close the pores and as a antiseptic, but when I use a balm during winter, then I use my alum block first.
But they aren't expensive. You can find blocks for about €1 for 75-100 grams.

please do try an ALUM block.
I use one after each shave.
I find the ALUM block to be quite soothing..I have it as part of my ritual :)
Tom

I bought one for a dollar at an Indian grocery store. I hadn't really put it into my routine until this morning. I had an unexpected surge of weepers on my neck and I thought that it was a good opportunity to use the Alum. It worked great and when I applied some Aqua Velva Musk, I didn't get any sting. Not bad for a dollar--I'm going to use it more.

cut or no cut, i use mine every day that i shave. alum block + witch hazel does an amazing job on my face.

Top Bottom