What's new

Alum Blocks? Are Some Better Than Others?

I see alum blocks at far ranging differences in pricing. Are some blocks better than others. Can they do a better job. Are they more natural. Some leave white residue on your face. Others claim not to leave any residue.
Whats the full story in the world of alum blocks?

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
If they’re natural blocks (most are), I don’t think there’s much difference. I‘ve heard of white residue with styptic pencils, but as the general instructions for using an alum block include rinsing the applied area, I’ve never had any residue after applying alum.

I’ve only used one

Barbero. Had good reviews and I’m a sucker for cool labeling.

Never had any residue issues with it.
07CCEFB9-1CDD-42BA-A420-43772C02E2FE.png

Yes, come to think of it’s styptic pencils do leave a noticeable residue and seem to be an entirely different texture than alum blocks. I’ve seen pure crystal blocks for sale. I don’t really know if they’re natural chunks and if normal blocks have been refined and reconstituted.

YMMV, but in IMHO, comparison shop and buy something inexpensive at a reputable shave supplier (avoid Chinese knock-offs that aren't pure alum- possibly the ones leaving a residue on the face? Never heard of that problem, though). Be sure to dry it thoroughly after using.

I bought a small, inexpensive one with a case that's great for travel, and for controlling the application area. Works great.

I had bought one from Maggard that included a case, but now I just refill the case with Osma alum blocks. I've heard some blocks aren't naturally a solid piece, and I've experienced some blocks that seem to shatter into smaller pieces if you drop it. The Osma seems like a good quality alum block. I have dropped the Osma before as well, but it seems to break into larger pieces.

I have only used an Osma block and an Omega alum stick. Same performance as they are the same formula (natural potassium alum) but the alum stick is much easier to hold/use, more portable, and wears down more evenly (the block can develop weird and sharp edges).

Last edited:
So far, I've used an Osma block which was quite nice and very smooth and pick not seem to have any air voids or dimpling in the surface. It was great until I dropped it and it shattered. There were usable pieces left but I didn't want to go through the hassle of trying deal with those small chunks so I tossed them.

I am now using a Razorock alum block I bought that comes in a little plastic case which is a nice touch, and you get a much larger block for the same price or less than the Osma. However, to me the Osma felt a bit smoother cut and a little bit more comfortable on the face. I'd buy either one again though, no real complaints from either product.

Osma or Zaza is all I use (same product). Osma has higher water content than cheap alums and therefore is more gentle on the skin

One interesting thing about alums: I finally was able to finish an Osma block without breaking it. It lasted nearly two years!

Osma or Zaza is all I use (same product). Osma has higher water content than cheap alums and therefore is more gentle on the skin

One interesting thing about alums: I finally was able to finish an Osma block without breaking it. It lasted nearly two years!

I'm only on my second osma block in several years of shaving, though for a while now I don't use alum every shave. They last forever as long as you don't break them. More of a challenge for some of us hah.

1589402524280.png

I always recommend this one- $4.99 and will last 3 years or more if you don't drop it. Yes it says deodorant but it is an alum block. I normally pick up 3 or 4 because I want to have it on hand when I need it and not wait. Currently have 3 stashed away.

marty

i only got one alum block from osma in my shave career, and its still not done. i use to use it every shave, now i only use it when i get a cut that bleeds, or sometimes i use it to see how much it burns so i can gauge the cleanness of the shave. 99% of the time, i take a shower a minute or two after i apply it. and i use soap or bodywash to risne it off before i apply aftershave. i noticed some (most of the ones i have) aftershaves works best when used alone and not combined with alum or anything else.

only been using an alum block for a year, Osma, and it looks like it will last at least another year , so I have no comparison. I I ever get to try a different one I will report my findings.

Top Bottom