What's new

Alum block

So could you recommend a decent block that I can try as a deodorant please?
You can use the same block you use for shaving. It is all the same mineral, just packaged differently.

From my experience, the Crystal deodorant stick works the same as my Maggard's block, but in a form easier to hold. The shaving blocks are slippery and will shatter when they hit the floor, and are priced higher per ounce than the blocks sold as deodorant.

You can use the same block you use for shaving. It is all the same mineral, just packaged differently.

From my experience, the Crystal deodorant stick works the same as my Maggard's block, but in a form easier to hold. The shaving blocks are slippery and will shatter when they hit the floor, and are priced higher per ounce than the blocks sold as deodorant.
Thanks, I've never used 1 on anything, but I definitely want 1 in a easy to hold container

Thanks, I've never used 1 on anything, but I definitely want 1 in a easy to hold container

Do the ones in containers come with liquid in the bottom please?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don't believe the ones in containers come with liquid in the bottom.

I don't know because I have never tried alum on my face. Lol, too cheap to buy it for shaving, but have thought about using it for underarms. I thought it was an antiperspirant, good to know that it's just a deodorant.

I have two, which is one too many. Used one for the first few months on a daily basis because that’s what I saw on YT. But nowadays very little usage. And it does occasionally help with weepers, but not always.

Guido

I use Alum after every shave, not necessarily as an irritation indicator, although it certainly will work for that, but because of the way my skin feels after using it. 🤗

I've got mixed feelings on a post shave alum treatment. I've applied it directly to a fresh nick and it didn't do much to stop bleeding. And I can tell when I've gotten too frisky when shaving without alum use, all it does is cause aggressive irritation. I can probably cut it out of my shaving routine and not miss it.

lasta

Blade Biter
Bought these 5 years ago, still on my first block!

I don't like alum, only reach for them when the handle gets slippery, or when I get a nick (which is rarely).
20221213_190538.jpg

When I first got into wetshaving, I used alum every shave since it came with my Maggard starter kit, and I didn't have any aftershaves. I've since used it occasionally (1x every 2-3 shaves), and it's satisfying to get less and less feedback as I hone my technique. I'm not at the point in my wetshaving journey where it's completely feedback-free every time, but I can only hope

I've heard lots of guys use alum for extra grip (especially with soapy hands), but I haven't found this to be an issue since I always rinse extra soap off my fingers, and my main razor has deep knurling

I have an alum block 'in waiting', for now, I use an OMEGA alum stick after each shave. Once this stick is used up, I will default back to the block.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I use the alum block to see how much my shave irritated my face after every shave. The alum block doesn’t seem to help with weepers which are far and few between. What are your thoughts on the alum block?

Nice to see you Mr. Obvious 😂

Yes of course, I use an alum block after every shave, I learned this idea from Youtube. Alum blocks are great, because they provide you feedback on how your shave went. If you got no stings, shave went great, a few stings, shave went OK, tons of stinging pain, shave went badly. They also tighten up the skin, seal off small nicks you may have. Sometimes alum blocks can stop a miner weeper as well. But I find that if the weeper is bad enough, only an styptic stick is going to stop that.

My alum block of choice, is Stirling's 125G alum block.

IMG_3315.JPG
IMG_3324.JPG

Top Bottom