What's new

Alum Block

I'll definitely let y'all know how it goes. If the Alum irritates my eczema then I'll just give it to my brother. My eczema is caused by stress and allergens so that is why I wanted to try an alum block, but I'll definitely post back with how it goes. I also ordered some of Sterlings aftershave balm to help with moisturizing.

The last time I needed alum I picked up a container of Crystal deodorant at Walgreens. I think you can find it at most drugstores and some grocery/box stores in the deodorant section. It's a huge piece of alum in a plastic container. Should last me years and the container is easier to hold onto than a bare alum block. I always seem to drop those things before they're half gone. They shatter pretty easily and I'm left with a bunch of tiny chunks.

How long does an alum block last for you guys? Reason I ask is I continue to see posts abouty getting something as cheap as possible, which, fine. Saving is always a virtue. But dang...I have the same Osma block for the past 12 months, and by all appearances, it'll last me another 12 months. I think I got two of these for like $11 at the time. As long as you don't drop it, keep it submerged in water, etc., it'll last a long time. Saving a few pennies over the expected life of a block likely isn't making or breaking anyone.

How long does an alum block last for you guys? Reason I ask is I continue to see posts abouty getting something as cheap as possible, which, fine. Saving is always a virtue. But dang...I have the same Osma block for the past 12 months, and by all appearances, it'll last me another 12 months. I think I got two of these for like $11 at the time. As long as you don't drop it, keep it submerged in water, etc., it'll last a long time. Saving a few pennies over the expected life of a block likely isn't making or breaking anyone.

I got my first GentleJons in May 2016 for under $4.00 and just replaced it in September for under $4.00. That’s 3 years 4 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They last a long time. My first alum was an Osma and I used it frequently, after almost every shave, every other day. It lasted one year and at the end it was too small to hold securely in my hand. It was then crushed into powder and dissolved in 8oz of distilled water for a perfect deodorant.
The second alum block was a 6oz Lafes that lasted too long to remember, but used infrequently. Currently, I am half way through a 3oz Lafes that I also use infrequently for the past two years or so.
I use alum with cold water only, after rinsing lather and before final cold rinse and aftershave application.

It is hard to find 6oz Lafes blocks at the present time. At least not for a reasonable price. Osmas come on sale once in a while.

Hey guys I am thinking of buying an Alum Block to help with skin irritation. So far my post shave ritual works great, but because I have eczema I am prone to a little irritation. I am wondering if the brand of the block matters? If it does matter, then what would you recommend?
There's not any difference between alum block brands. I have used different kinds depending on what's on sale. You shouldn't pay more than $4 or $5 and if you keep your eyes open you can get for less.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

In my opinion there is a big difference between different brands and between potassium alum (occurs in nature) and ammonium alum (man-made from aluminium hydroxide, sulfuric acid and ammonium sulfate).
In the picture below, the top block is Ammonium Alum that has many impurities, to say the least. As the color indicates.
The bottom block is a Lafes, nearly transparent, naturally extracted from a mine and cut into shape. An Osma looks the same.

IMG_7191.JPG

Here is a better picture of the natural stone:

IMG_7195.JPG

When wet it looks like glass.

I am very wary of what I put on my skin. I may be wrong, as I have been wrong before, so please, use at your own risk.

Just stay away from alum from China. Regs are nonexistent there and you never know what's in there. You really want to know what you are rubbing on your face especially after scraping the outer layer off with an extremely sharp razor blade. I use Osma as well. It comes from France.

So I just used the alum block I ordered. I used the Stirling barbershop soap for my shave. Afterwards I used the alum block and I used the Stirling tea tree, witch hazel, and aloe splash and then followed with the Stirling barbershop balm. I do not recall my face feeling this refreshed since I started shaving. The alum block tightened my skin and it definitely dried my skin out, but Stirling's products helped moisturize my skin. I had a little irritation before I shaved today and that irritation is already starting to disappear. I don't know if it is the alum block since all variables in my shave today were different, but I am definitely going to keep up this routine.

Is omega a good brand? I've been the same brand (went through quite a few sticks) since I started wet shaving in 2017. It doesn't last long at all. After a few months the thing will just disintegrate.

So I just used the alum block I ordered. I used the Stirling barbershop soap for my shave. Afterwards I used the alum block and I used the Stirling tea tree, witch hazel, and aloe splash and then followed with the Stirling barbershop balm. I do not recall my face feeling this refreshed since I started shaving. The alum block tightened my skin and it definitely dried my skin out, but Stirling's products helped moisturize my skin. I had a little irritation before I shaved today and that irritation is already starting to disappear. I don't know if it is the alum block since all variables in my shave today were different, but I am definitely going to keep up this routine.

Did you rinse the Alum?
After applying it can/will (for me) dry on the skin. But once rinsed leaves my skin feeling great. I use cold water, not sure if it matters.

The one I use. Readily available on Amazon and I use it every shave. One should last you about 2 years. Goes on post shave and then rinsed off before the AS.
5FB5E154-C552-491C-A100-11CC459EFBB0.jpeg

In my opinion there is a big difference between different brands and between potassium alum (occurs in nature) and ammonium alum (man-made from aluminium hydroxide, sulfuric acid and ammonium sulfate).
In the picture below, the top block is Ammonium Alum that has many impurities, to say the least. As the color indicates.
The bottom block is a Lafes, nearly transparent, naturally extracted from a mine and cut into shape. An Osma looks the same.

View attachment 1048158

Here is a better picture of the natural stone:

View attachment 1048159

When wet it looks like glass.

I am very wary of what I put on my skin. I may be wrong, as I have been wrong before, so please, use at your own risk.

The top one looks like it’s mixed with dirt.

Top Bottom