What's new

Alum block

I forgot to mention another use for the alum. If your fingers are slippery during a shave, give them a quick rub on the alum block - instant grip! Handy to have around if you need to change settings in the middle of a shave.
It makes me wonder then, why people complain about dropping the blocks.

I am 2/3 of the way through my first block of alum (Shavex) and have never dropped it.
I pick up the dry block with dry fingers and dip one end in water.
When I rub it on my face I keep the wet end tilted down so that the end I am holding stays dry.
Always holding it by the same end also makes a little concavity on both sides so it's even easier to grip.

I don't know for other guys, but for me the alum feedback is just about zero sometimes and I see that as a very good sign.
I"m not sure if it's normal or not but it seemed like mine had a white gritty texture on the surface. I tried to rub some of it off with my finger then I thought maybe this is supposed to be here so half of it got rubbed into my skin LOL I'm learning still so I have no idea but after my face and my fingers rinsing it off it's smooth now so I'm assuming that grit shoudln't have been there in the first place.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I used to be prone to dropping the alum block.

This larger size helps some.

Parker.Alum.Block.alum block.480.3-8-19.JPG

A rubber band helps even more.

View attachment 959622
...I use it with every shave as I like the feedback and the conditioning elements. My face doesn't feel quite as good afterward without it. BTW I use the Omega knobby alum that has a base and cap. Works great.

I've been a wet shaver for 5+ years and always have a styptic stick ready in case of nicks. It was only when experimenting with a straight a few months back did I enter the world of alum, in this case also the Omega stick. I got it mainly to improve grip when tautening the skin. I ditched the straight experiment since it gave a less close shave than my R41, but I certainly didn't ditch the alum. I find it to be an excellent astringent balm after a shave with a new sharp blade - especially in the undulations of the neck. For this purpose I had tried witch hazel in the past, but found it to have no effect.
So for me it's styptic for those few times I need to seal cuts, and the regular use of alum to soothe the skin and take care of minor grazes. Alum also serves as an excellent underarm antiperspirant in a pinch.

It makes me wonder then, why people complain about dropping the blocks.

I am 2/3 of the way through my first block of alum (Shavex) and have never dropped it.
I pick up the dry block with dry fingers and dip one end in water.
When I rub it on my face I keep the wet end tilted down so that the end I am holding stays dry.
Always holding it by the same end also makes a little concavity on both sides so it's even easier to grip.

I go a step further and never bother with directly wetting the block, wet skin is enough to allow it the slide easily over wherever you might be applying it. Wet armpits after a shower, i completely dry off except for armpits, dry hands with a dry block works fine on the wet skin, after shaving rinse face with water, dry my hands and use the dry block on my still wet face, applies great and the blocks not going to slip out of my hand.
dave

I have one out & use it thrice every shave - first on the fingertips for grip, second post shave on the beard as Steve reports, third (post shower) as an underarm deodorant. Triple threat, just wish I could once not drop one before it was used up ..

Revisited this thread and was reminded where I got the tip on using alum to enhance my grip during a shave. Now that I am using a straight razor sometimes, I touch my alum block every time I pick up a straight. Thanks!! :thumbup:

Top Bottom