What's new

Alum block

I am going to start trying the grip enhancement feature of my alum. Can I hear more about “post shave on the beard”?
As far I can tell beard wise I see no effect face wise well helps tighten and of course help treat nicks and irritation.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Post-shave / Beard-wise:
  1. Antiseptic for nicks/cuts/irritation
  2. Astringent to tighten skin and close opened capillaries
  3. "Sting" provides "feedback". More "sting" on areas with more skin damage from incorrect shaving angle, insufficient lather, "over-buffing", etc.

My alum stash
proxy.php

I am going to start trying the grip enhancement feature of my alum. Can I hear more about “post shave on the beard”?

Alum provides good feedback, is an astringent, but leaves a pretty dry "post shave".

That's why I prefer a witch hazel aftershave. I mix a few drops of tea tree oil, peppermint oil and lavender.

Alum provides good feedback, is an astringent, but leaves a pretty dry "post shave".

That's why I prefer a witch hazel aftershave. I mix a few drops of tea tree oil, peppermint oil and lavender.
I rinse it off after it settles in then apply aftershave balm and then aftershave leaves my skin tight moisturized and ubber soft

I tried an alum block and hated it. I put half of mine into a baggie and smashed it into a powder with a hammer for cuts or weepers. The other half I use as deodorant. In the 1960's they sold tins of "powdered" shaving alum to stop bleeding. If you don't have a block to smash, pick up some McCormick Alum or store-brand powdered alum from a grocery. Dunk a wet finger in, apply to a cut or weeper and brush off when dry. Best stuff ever for cuts or weepers.

I used Alum blocks when I first started shaving but stopped after a few years and switched over to using WH only. About five years ago I went to a dermatologist for my yearly skin cancer check. We got into a discussion about my traditional shaving - which she was 100% for. She also recommended the use of alum blocks after I shave. She said it helped "older skin" look better. She showed me a number of anti-wrinkle products that all contained a form of alum. I then started using it after I shave.

Knowing what I know now, even if I stopped using alum as an aftershave, I would continue to use it as a deodorant.

Such a simple thing, this block of rock, sitting on the shelf just under my mirror. So simple, and yet so versatile. Quite the opposite of so many modern super specialized tools, gadgets, and gizmos that are often (though not always) needlessly complicated, and while very effective at their job, can really only do one thing.

My alum block closes weepers and minor nicks. It conditions my skin, helping fend off, or at least lessen razor burn. My alum block helps disinfect my post shave skin, putting in its part to stave off infection. This wonderful little rock tells me how well or poorly I shaved, showing me right where I needed better technique. My alum block gives me traction on the razor I am holding with one hand, helping me comfortably have a no slip grip. It even helps give me traction on the other hand, so I can stretch my skin with confidence, knowing it isn't about to slip into the blade of a razor.

I absolutely couldn't tell you the last time I spent $5 on one little thing that could do so much so simply for so long? I love my alum block. I am almost 40 years old, and have never heard of alum until I came to this forum. I am a machinist's son, I've been a knifemaker, a renn-faire attendee, a hunter, a competitive archer, a martial artist, and have otherwise tried to connect across history and manual craft in many walks of life - why is it this wonderous little rock isn't so widely known and respected? Why only now do I hear tell of this magic little stone?

Such a simple thing, this block of rock, sitting on the shelf just under my mirror. So simple, and yet so versatile. Quite the opposite of so many modern super specialized tools, gadgets, and gizmos that are often (though not always) needlessly complicated, and while very effective at their job, can really only do one thing.

My alum block closes weepers and minor nicks. It conditions my skin, helping fend off, or at least lessen razor burn. My alum block helps disinfect my post shave skin, putting in its part to stave off infection. This wonderful little rock tells me how well or poorly I shaved, showing me right where I needed better technique. My alum block gives me traction on the razor I am holding with one hand, helping me comfortably have a no slip grip. It even helps give me traction on the other hand, so I can stretch my skin with confidence, knowing it isn't about to slip into the blade of a razor.

I absolutely couldn't tell you the last time I spent $5 on one little thing that could do so much so simply for so long? I love my alum block. I am almost 40 years old, and have never heard of alum until I came to this forum. I am a machinist's son, I've been a knifemaker, a renn-faire attendee, a hunter, a competitive archer, a martial artist, and have otherwise tried to connect across history and manual craft in many walks of life - why is it this wonderous little rock isn't so widely known and respected? Why only now do I hear tell of this magic little stone?

And it's a deodorant.

I have been using natural alum deodorant products for years now. After my girlfriend got cancer, we eliminated as many chemicals as possible. I even make my own tooth powder now.

Natural is better!

Yep, I'm a fan! I prefer it to AS splash (I still always use a balm). I also use it as a deodorant. You can buy alum powder in the canning section of your grocery store and use it for canker sores. Just throwing that out there.

Potassium Alum is the only deodorant I have been using for many years and cannot say enough about it. I use one block after shaving quite often, although not regularly anymore, and I rinse it before applying aftershave balm.
Alum has amazing properties, when properly used. It brings comfort to those that have realistic expectations from it.
Little gem indeed.

Is there any real difference between brands of alum blocks?

I have found that the difference is not in the alum per say but in the construction of the block. I have tried several and have settled on Shave Nations brand. In my opinion, it is the smoothest and most rounded. I did try his "stick" (looks like a deodorant stick) and did not like it, even as an antiperspirant. His large block is the best in my opinion.

Don’t drop it, put a rubber band on it. That why they give you a couple every time you buy asparagus.

View attachment 959625

Is there any real difference between brands of alum blocks?

In the photo in my post quoted above, the top alum block is RazoRock, the bottom Shavex. I’m not saying they perform differently, but I try to be more careful handling the Shavex which appears much rougher and perhaps fragile.

Top Bottom