What's new

Alum block

I'm fairly new to wet shaving and I have to admit that I'm really loving it. One of the best training tools that I have is my alum block. I find that when I use it, i get instant feedback on where I need to concentrate more on technique. It has really helped in my biggest problem area (under the chin) where it seems I have to really concentrate on how I attack the area. Anyone else use the block for a training/feedback tool?

I'm fairly new to wet shaving and I have to admit that I'm really loving it. One of the best training tools that I have is my alum block. I find that when I use it, i get instant feedback on where I need to concentrate more on technique. It has really helped in my biggest problem area (under the chin) where it seems I have to really concentrate on how I attack the area. Anyone else use the block for a training/feedback tool?
I only use it if I had a particularly rough shave. I mostly use it for deodorant now.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I have one out & use it thrice every shave - first on the fingertips for grip, second post shave on the beard as Steve reports, third (post shower) as an underarm deodorant. Triple threat, just wish I could once not drop one before it was used up ..

I used to use my alum block after every shave. Now I only use it when I've had a rough shave, but I still like it. I've only ever owned two--they last forever as long as you don't drop them.

76702C70-2D81-478D-801E-D03F246A7B5A.jpeg
When I first started I used it a couple times and found that it hurt so bad I had to grab the door jamb to keep from passing out. Also got a ton of redness as a result and assumed I had an allergy..... nope, just ****-poor technique.

Fast forward a couple years and I use it with every shave as I like the feedback and the conditioning elements. My face doesn't feel quite as good afterward without it.

Btw I use the Omega knobby alum that has a base and cap. Works great.

Don’t drop it, put a rubber band on it. That why they give you a couple every time you buy asparagus.

906EA762-A6AC-4207-A85C-092FAAEDA74F.jpeg

I always use alum block not only as a tool but also to judge how good a blade is vs stinging also it helps dry up acne and makes my face feel good especially after applying aftershave balm and then an after shave.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I like to use my alum block after every shave. Like most I used it after a particularly bad shave now I use it all the time.

Depite / Ignoring the aluminium salt hysteria in Germany, I like to use it instead of a toner. SInce a few weeks I used up my Osma Block from France (which now is around 6 EUR / 75g). At the moment I use a huge potassium alum block from India. But I have to say that I don't like this one. There's a big difference to the Osma. Maybe I will try the Proraso Alum next time.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Don’t drop it, put a rubber band on it. That why they give you a couple every time you buy asparagus.

View attachment 959625

I think this may be the single best idea I've ever heard of except it makes me feel like a total idiot because I never thought of it myself but at least I'm smart enough to recognize it for being exactly the ticket.

MightyMidget.0-Rings.640.6-18.JPG

I didn't think up putting #13 O-rings on my Mighty Midget either. Maybe they help with the grip, but mostly, for me, they just look way cool and improve my view of the brush and make it look better than the brushes other guys wish like mine.

Actually I could care less about whether other guys think my MM looks better than theirs. I only care if I like how it looks, and I do like it.

upload_2019-3-6_11-55-4.png

I had to buy a whole kit of O-rings to find the right size, but #13 is the right size. I might have an O-ring that would be the right size for my alum block but I have asparagus in the fridge (however, it came in a sealed bag and lacks the requisite rubber band). Don't worry. I have a bag of rubber bands, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have an alum block and my use waxes and wanes. I use it for a better grip with my Merkur Progress, as that handle is really slippery for me.

I have used it regularly in the past, but of late have used a witch hazel aftershave exclusively.

I have one out & use it thrice every shave - first on the fingertips for grip, second post shave on the beard as Steve reports, third (post shower) as an underarm deodorant. Triple threat, just wish I could once not drop one before it was used up ..

I have an alum block and my use waxes and wanes. I use it for a better grip with my Merkur Progress, as that handle is really slippery for me.

I have used it regularly in the past, but of late have used a witch hazel aftershave exclusively.

I am going to start trying the grip enhancement feature of my alum. Can I hear more about “post shave on the beard”?

Top Bottom