What's new

Alum Block

The instructions that came with my alum block say to splash cold water on your face, run cold water over the block, rub it on you face, pat your face dry with a towel, wait a few minutes before applying aftershave

The instructions that came with my alum block say to splash cold water on your face, run cold water over the block, rub it on you face, pat your face dry with a towel, wait a few minutes before applying aftershave

Sounds about right - keep it out of your eyes and mouth tho.:biggrin:

NMMB said:
Isn't it great to have SWMBO just stop in her tracks and give you a ***-look, but not actually say anything because she doesn't care about the answer, and she knows that the answer will be too long and confusing? :smile:
You get that too, huh?

Being a newbie and all I haven't heard of this alum block until now. After reading a thread I think I will order myself one.

Goosemeplease said:
Sounds about right - keep it out of your eyes and mouth tho.:biggrin:

I notice all of the instructions are to rub the block on one's face. Is there a reason why one cannot rub the block on his hands then apply to face? That seems to me to be a better way to apply to our faces since they are not composed of 90 degree angles. Just curious.

Jim, thanks for asking that question. I've been wondering what the big deal was with an alum block, too. Now I know that I don't want to use one. Thanks again!

thestubblefactory said:
I notice all of the instructions are to rub the block on one's face. Is there a reason why one cannot rub the block on his hands then apply to face? That seems to me to be a better way to apply to our faces since they are not composed of 90 degree angles. Just curious.
I'm not sure whether rubbing the alum block first in your hands and then on your face will have the same effect as rubbing it directly on your face.

Also, I think one needs to rub the block very gently over your the shaved area and from the moment it touches your skin, you will feel the nice cold nature of the product. Rubbing it in your hands and then on your face will - I think - lessen the effect of the alum because the alum will get into your hands skin as well while rubbing it on.

Also, I try not to go over my face too much with my hands (only when I apply the moisturizing balm after the alum block) because the added hand touch may work a little "irritating" on the shaved skin. Of course if you shaved properly, you won't have this irritation but I find my skin to be a little more sensitive within the first couple of hours after the shave. In order to apply the alum via the hands better you'll have to rub more firmly with your hands, which would strengthen this "irritating" effect. It's also easier to rub over the face with the alum block than with alum wet hands.

It is a nice feeling to hold your cold wet alum block against a cold rinsed face and let your face airdry. I used to let it sit for a minute and then wipe it off gently with a towel, however my granddad told me to let the alum just airdry. It's completely dry within 2 to 3 minutes and this way you're not wiping alum of your face, it's getting in your skin completely.

Anyway, while rereading my post I'm probably not really making much sense here and a huge YMMV should be in place, but I really prefer to rub the alum block gently to my face instead of doing it with my hands.

I won't shave without it...

I've been using an Alum block for two weeks now, and it has really made a difference.

After my morning shower I wet my face, rub in some Proraso pre/post shave, lather up and shave with the grain.

I then rinse my face with warm water, wet the Alum bar with warm water and rub it on my face against the grain (after this step you can not use the Proraso as it just dries up on your face). I lather my face up (the alum block kills the lather, so it doesn't look too pretty), then I begin shaving against the grain. The razor just seems to glide easily against my face and lets me work the razor in ways that were impossible for me before.

I then rinse again with warm, then cold, and lastly the Alum block (cold).

I like to put the alum block in the freezer before i shower and shave, take it out after shaving, use it post shave. Very cool and soothing. I suppose it shouldn't stay in the freezer too long, might crack.

(after this step you can not use the Proraso as it just dries up on your face).

Boy I am glad I saw this. I have been trying to apply proraso on my face after the alum block and it just dries up. I am trying to figure out how I can work in my proraso post shave in if I use an alum block. No matter how much I rince hot or cold it still just flakes up as soon as I try to apply it. Anyone use proraso pre/post and alum block. Tell me how you work it in sucessfully.

Just took out the ol' alum block. I think the source of my irritation was that maybe the block became slightly rough after using it for a month or 2. I tried "pressing" it into my skin instead of gliding it and BAM, no irritation. I'm not convinced yet, but I'm going to use it daily again and see what happens.

Deodorent stones probably the same. From the Guide:
One good-sized alum block should last for a year or two (unless you drop it on a hard floor). According to Shavex, the company that makes the alum blocks sold by Mama Bear: “The Alum Block (for shaving and deodorant purposes) is usually Potash Alum. Potash Alum doesn’t sting so much as Ammonium Alum, but some companies do use Ammonium Alum as a shaving block.”

One inexpensive form of Potassium Alum (which is another name for Potash Alum) is deodorant crystal sticks—for some reason these are often priced much less than the alum block sold to shavers. The Wikipedia article on Alum provides more information.

Deodorent stones probably the same. From the Guide:

Hmmm, yes, I checked online and the Thai Crystal Deodorant Stone I bought a while back is indeed 100% potassium alum. I'm glad I didn't throw it out (it absolutely didn't work as a deordorant on me :mad: ), and will try it as an A/S as I'm always looking for something that doesn't stink.

I've been told that it's a good idea after gliding the alum block over your wet face where you shaved, to leave it a bit, then rinse it off and dry your face before applying aftershave. I had been doing that anyway: if I don't rinse off the alum, aftershave balms in particular get gummed up.

So I apply and let my wet and alumed face drip while I police up the area---rinse out and put away the brush, rinse and put away the razor, etc.---and then rinse off the alum, dry, and put on the aftershave.

Top Bottom