What's new

Alum Block

It seems to have the same function as Thayer's whuch I like--anyone use both?

Frankly, from the descriptions here--the block sounds unappealing to me.

MJB

Leisureguy said:
Interesting. It almost sounds as though it would be good to use the alum block as a pre-shave. Has anyone tried that?

This was the correct quote sorry!
Jim

Jim Thompson said:
Do you use the alum block in place of a toner or can you use them together?

I use everything.

Alum block, whitch hazel, and I a few squirts of toner on my ASB while it's in my palm.

I use the Alum Block after the cold water splash and before the ASB. I spray my face with witch hazel whenever I feel the need.

MJB said:
It seems to have the same function as Thayer's whuch I like--anyone use both?

Frankly, from the descriptions here--the block sounds unappealing to me.

MJB

I often use both (but if I were going to skip one it would be the alum block rather than the WH - unless I am using an AS splash, then I skip the WH but use the alum before the splash). I apply the alum after a cold water rinse while my face is still wet (and the alum block is also wet with cold water). After my face dries I apply my WH then after the WH dries I apply a balm (if I am using an AS splash I will often apply a balm or moisturizer after the splash has dried).

Just got a comment on the blog that pointed me to Shavex, another source of alum blocks. What's interesting is this note on their site:

• To lift the hair, rub moistened Antiseptic Alum Block against the skin in an upward motion. This prepares the skin for a close irritation-free shave.

• Moisten your face with warm water. This softens the facial hair allowing the blade to cut them comfortably.

• Use an Aloe Vera and glycerin based shaving cream. It will provide a soothing shave and protect against razor rashes. Workout a rich lather. This allows the razor to glide freely.​

This suggests alum blocks can indeed be used as a pre-shave. I guess I'll have to experiment.

kasabian said:
After reading this thread today, I ordered some Trumper's alum block :lol: :blushing:

I think it is one of the more useful, although overlooked, products that you can have in your kit.

I got my alum block from Classic Shaving (their own brand) a couple of days ago, so I've used it twice. Man, it's nice. Really does top off the shave, finishing it up and getting it ready for the aftershave. What I do is give the face a cold-water rinse, then wet the alum block in cold water and rub it over the freshly-shaved portion. Sooooo nice. Then I let it sit a about half a minute, rinse again, dry, and put on the aftershave.

I just got my grandson a toy shaving set, and I'm disappointed they don't have a little toy alum block in there... :001_smile

Leisureguy said:
I got my alum block from Classic Shaving (their own brand) a couple of days ago, so I've used it twice. Man, it's nice. Really does top off the shave, finishing it up and getting it ready for the aftershave. What I do is give the face a cold-water rinse, then wet the alum block in cold water and rub it over the freshly-shaved portion. Sooooo nice. Then I let it sit a about half a minute, rinse again, dry, and put on the aftershave. :001_smile

How do you dry the Alum block afterward, I understand that you can't just leave it wet or it will soon dissolve.

I just place it back in the case and let it air dry. I've been using mine for about 3 weeks now and I can't tell any change in size from it dissolving.

Yep- it will dissolve if left in a puddle or in a very damp environment -I use a wooden soap dish that allows the water to drain away.

do different manufacturers add different ingredients to the alum block? if so which manufacturer do you recommend buying from?

After rubbing my face with the wet alum block, do you let it dry before applying after shave balm? Do you rinse off the alum before applying after shave balm?

dglsmason said:
After rubbing my face with the wet alum block, do you let it dry before applying after shave balm? Do you rinse off the alum before applying after shave balm?

I apply witch hazel after the alum. Then I let it sit for a bit and dab it off with a towel since sometime WH intereferes with ASB. Usually I'll squirt a bit of hydrosol on my face prior to ASB application just to help spread it out evenly.

Top Bottom