What's new

Alum Block

I notice all of the instructions are to rub the block on one's face. Is there a reason why one cannot rub the block on his hands then apply to face?

The Thai Crystal brand of deodorant stones, which are made of 100% Potash Alum according to one forum member's research as posted in this very thread, is also available in a liquid spray deodorant. It's perfectly clear and a good deodorant. I pay $6.95 for several ounces at the local natural foods store. It lasts a long while.

(I've only used it as a deodorant, but I imagine it would work as a post-shave splash too.)

Christopher

I just tried this idea for my face as suggested and I am sorry to say I cannot recommend it, I am not sure of why but it caused the razor to drag -perhaps it acts lock a flocculat (sp) and kills the lubrication of the lather. The things I do for science:w00t:

Jim

I noticed this drag on my fingertips while using the alum block, so now I use the alum block to give better hold to my razors that have poor grips like the Futur and British Rocket. This helps keep the razor from getting slippery when using very slippery soaps and creams. I keep it on the soap rack and run my wetted fingers across it once the razor grip is too slippery.

Brad

Brad....you beat me to it.:biggrin:

Actually using alum to get a better hold of your razors is an old barber trick. My grandfather, who was a barber in Virginia, used the alum block for this purpose. He would prep the beard of the guy he was shaving, do the hot towels, then lather the guy up with the mug and brush, and then he would drag his slightly wet fingers across the alum block to give a better hold on the str8t razor.

I have his old boar hair brush...it is very, very soft, and stained kind of orange, dark yellow. My dad explains that the alum stained the hair through all those years of use. My dad still has his str8t razors, and they have a nice patina on them, kind of a dull grey, which might also be attributed to the alum, but I'm not quite sure.

So, alum will work to make the razors much less slippery. SO if you have one you don't like to use....you might at least find a purpose for it.

news from spain, i tried to buy an alum block the other day, and apparently, its banned due to hygiene issues, apparently, they dont want something that is used of open wounds sold in multiuse quantities, but they found a good work around, they sold me a pack of matches, i open it, and see that the heads are white, he tells me "wet the tip a little and apply to the wound",

apparently, this is a legal work around becuase its in "individual servings", you take a match out, wet a bit the alum tip, apply, and then put it away for further use, when you notice it dosnt cut the bleed anymore, toss away the match,

anyways, if i find it problematic to use, i´ll just order a block with my next order of blades or soap from another country,

apparently, this is a legal work around becuase its in "individual servings", you take a match out, wet a bit the alum tip, apply, and then put it away for further use, when you notice it dosnt cut the bleed anymore, toss away the match

Styptic and alum are differents things! Don't go rubbing stypic matches all over your face, you will regret it! Styptics usually contain harsh chemicals, while alum is usually just either potassium or ammonium alum. I have nothing against styptics for sealing up a cut, but you don't want to use it as an all-over-the-face aftershave treatment. If you do want to use alum, find crystal deodorant that contains potassium alum, or order one from the internet. The price isn't bad considering you'll probably lose the thing or break it before you actually use it all up.

When my face is feeling a bit raw, usually Thursdays or Fridays (I don't shave Saturdays) I often give my face a good blocking. Its not exactly soothing, but does tighten the pores and helps recover the face a bit. I usually apply it while the Skin Food is still moist.

-Scott

Umm... Whatever works... but don't most use the alum before AS?

Hi All - long time reader, first time poster.

I started shaving with a DE in January and was having a lot of irritation problems with it - I ordered an alum stone from Muehle and I can confidently say its saved my face. It was one of those night-and-day experiences for me.

I wet the stone and apply to my wet face right after rinsing off with cold water. I rinse the stone again and put it back on the counter to air-dry. I let my face air dry for a few minutes then apply aftershave. Though, I'm unsure how effective the AS is after the alum has closed up the pores.

Either way - its a face-saver!

Just tried the Thai Crystal deodorant stone. I was worried because it didn't say potash, alum or anything for that matter. But it works great.

Just tried the Thai Crystal deodorant stone. I was worried because it didn't say potash, alum or anything for that matter. But it works great.

This information came from the Thai Crystal manufacturer's website (http://www.deodorantstones.com/aluminumquestions.ivnu)

Our deodorant stones are made of potassium alum. It is a pure product made without the addition of chemicals, fragrances, oils or alcohol. The chemical formula for potassium alum is K2SO4Al2(SO4)324H20. Potassium alum is a colorless substance that forms octahedral or cubic crystals.

Isn't it great to have SWMBO just stop in her tracks and give you a ***-look, but not actually say anything because she doesn't care about the answer, and she knows that the answer will be too long and confusing? :smile:

ROFL. My wife exactly :)

It will have to be ordered. It closes the pores and stops bleeding and is a general aftershave antiseptic. All you do is get it wet with cold water and then rub it on a wet face all over. Hold it on nicks to seal them. It will burn like hell but works.

Google guys! There are other websites besides B&B! Shocking I know!

Alum & Styptic are both double sulfates but use a different base ion (potassium vs. aluminum) & WH is a mixture of plant extracts and not even a mineral salt at all! They have very different chemistry even though their intended effects overlap.

Alum block = Potassium alum or potash alum is the potassium double sulfate of aluminium. Its chemical formula is KAl(SO4)2 and it is commonly found in its dodecahydrate form as KAl(SO4)2·12(H2O). It is commonly used in water purification, leather tanning, fireproof textiles, and baking powder. It also has cosmetic uses as a deodorant and as an aftershave treatment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum

Styptic = usually containing aluminum sulfate and more rarely potassium aluminum sulfate are used as astringents to prevent bleeding from small shaving cuts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styptic_pencils

Witch Hazel = Witch hazel is mainly used externally on sores, bruises, and swelling. The main constituents of the extract include tannin, gallic acid, catechins, proanthocyanins, flavonoids (kaempferol, quercetin), essential oil (carvacrol, eugenol, hexenol), choline, saponins, and bitters. Distilled witch hazel sold in drug stores and pharmacies typically contains no tannin.

Witch hazel hydrosol is used in skin care. It is a strong anti-oxidant and astringent, which makes it very useful in fighting acne.[1] It is often used as a natural remedy for psoriasis, eczema, aftershave applications, ingrown nails, cracked or blistered skin, for treating insect bites, poison ivy, and as a treatment for varicose veins and hemorrhoids.[citation needed] (It is found in numerous over-the-counter hemorrhoid preparations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_hazel_(astringent)

So I finally picked an alum block up after DE shaving without one since February... WOAH, what a difference. Haven't been using anything with antiseptic properties, only a cold water rinse and AS balm so I occasionally get some irritated hair follicles/ingrown or light acne. Only tried it twice so far shaving every other day but I think my skin is cleaner (no acne, ingrowns etc...). It feels nice having a little tingling also. Will continue to use it.

When my face is feeling a bit raw, usually Thursdays or Fridays (I don't shave Saturdays) I often give my face a good blocking. Its not exactly soothing, but does tighten the pores and helps recover the face a bit. I usually apply it while the Skin Food is still moist.

-Scott

Wouldn't you rub the block on your face first, then apply the skinfood?

Any Of you gents know about shaping Bulk Alum crystals. I bought some bulk alum(big Crystals) and would like to shape it or at least smooth all the rough edges.
Any ideas???

My aim is not to argue, so pardon me if this post seems terse. The sentence in the article that uses the term "isn't clear" is the following:

"But it isn’t clear that much aluminum is absorbed through the skin. One study that looked at the absorption of aluminum from antiperspirants containing aluminum chlorohydrate applied to the underarms found that only a tiny fraction (0.012%) was absorbed."

Further clarifying the overwhelming point of the article which is:

"There are no strong epidemiologic studies in the medical literature that link breast cancer risk and antiperspirant use, and very little scientific evidence to support this claim."

and:

"At this point, no clear link has been made between antiperspirants containing aluminum and breast cancer."

To each their own, but this is enough for me to have peace of mind while using an alum block.

No harm, no foul. however, if one googles a topic he/she can find just as many articles for and against it. I like to refer to MSDS pubs which chem manufacturers must produce listing all hazards of the chemical. This is what it shows

Skin Contact:
In case of contact, immediately flush skin with plenty of water. Cover the irritated skin with an emollient. Remove contaminated
clothing and shoes. Cold water may be used.Wash clothing before reuse. Thoroughly clean shoes before reuse. Get medical
attention"

If you take any prescription drug and read the potential side affects listing that comes with it you might well stop taking it. I have yet to read one that isn't a horror story of terrible and scary things that might happen to you. And yes, MSDS listings of even the most common of elements are further horror stories. You can read more scary stories about flourine in drinking water, or dangerous substances in bottled water. You think aluminum is dangerous? Read up some on the copper that is almost every water pipe in America. Red meat is a killer; so is processed meat. Then there's contaminated chicken and seafood and toxin laden fruits and vegetables. Even the air in most cities is dangerous, and frankly the air is some agricultural areas is even worse.If you read up some on the "lye" that is in most shaving soaps it seems like an incredibly dangerous substance. And on and on it goes. Of course it makes sense to take reasonable precautions in this modern world of ours. But if I took seriously every awful thing I read about every product I come across in my day to day life I'd probably go lock myself up in one of those "clean rooms" you sometimes hear about. I'd drink distilled water, breath filtered air ... but I'm not sure what I could safely eat

Last edited:
Top Bottom