What's new

alum block pricing

Hey guys

I have never used a/s astringents moisturizers (or even lather) before I started wetshaving. Since then I have tried witch hazel and am loving the effects and plan on adding a alum block and a/s to the mix.

My question is this, I have seen alum blocks priced anywhere from $4 to $24. Is there any difference in them or am I just paying for the brand? Are there any brands to avoid or certain ingredients (besides alum-har har) to look for?

thanks guys!

Also anyone know where I can get some osage rub in southern california?

I bought an alum bar at a local Indian grocery store for $1.49. It's fairly large and not as clear as many of the more expensive bars, but I've been using it for almost a year (on and off) and have had good results. You might want to check around before springing for more.

i bought an alum bar at a local indian grocery store for $1.49. It's fairly large and not as clear as many of the more expensive bars, but i've been using it for almost a year (on and off) and have had good results. You might want to check around before springing for more.

+1

Oh, and my Indian Store keeps them behind the counter, I have to ask for it. Just incase you don't see it on a shelf... FWIW

Chrystal Deoderant stick is the same thing (some contain added aloe which is nice) and comes in its own container. They are readily available at (most) local drugstores and cost less than many of the blocks that you'll get from some of the big names.

Yeah +1 on the Crystal deodorant.. Got mine at Rite Aid.. Make sure you get the liquid roll on and not the Solid... That is what I use for my alum... works great just roll out some on your hands rub them together and apply to your face...

Yeah +1 on the Crystal deodorant.. Got mine at Rite Aid.. Make sure you get the liquid roll on and not the Solid... That is what I use for my alum... works great just roll out some on your hands rub them together and apply to your face...

The solid works best for me, but they're inexpensive, so try both.

thanks for the posts guys! :biggrin:

I figured it was just a brand name thing but wanted to be sure I wasn't gonna get all rashy or something going w/ something cheaper.

thoughts on the osage rub anyone?

thanks for the posts guys! :biggrin:

I figured it was just a brand name thing but wanted to be sure I wasn't gonna get all rashy or something going w/ something cheaper.

thoughts on the osage rub anyone?

Try contacting the company. Osage rub is made by Clubman, which is owned by American International Industries. I contacted them to find out where to buy it near me. When they couldn't locate a brick an mortar store, they sent me a free bottle of Osage rub. Now THAT'S customer service!!

I came across one of these things (the “bloc osma” brand) in a department store in Paris when I was there on holiday recently. €9. I've been wanting to try one, I had no idea what the things usually cost, and €9 is kind of survivable for a somewhat odd souvenir, so I bought it. Later the same day, I spotted the same brand at a chemist's for €4.50... Feels good to know that I sponsored french business with at least €4.50. :)

This is an interesting subject. I have two blocks: one cheap Indian one that I got for free and a TOBS one that cost about $14. They perform the same but one difference I noticed is that the TOBS one seems somehow more dense and more transparent. The surface has also remained smooth while the cheap one has started to sort of crystalize in a strange way, leaving the surface very rough (and even sharp) in some places. One end of it has even sort of 'caved in' and is really quite sharp and unusable. It kind of looks like one of those crystal 'geodes' that they slice in half and sell at rock/gem shops. Anyway, the cheap Indian one still works fine provided I use one of the few remaining smooth sides but it does seem to be a rougher 'cut' of alum if that makes sense. Either way, a block of alum will last for years.

Try contacting the company. Osage rub is made by Clubman, which is owned by American International Industries. I contacted them to find out where to buy it near me. When they couldn't locate a brick an mortar store, they sent me a free bottle of Osage rub. Now THAT'S customer service!!

Thanks DSB!

contacted AII and they got back to me, no free bottle sadly but I found a place that stocks it about six minutes away:biggrin:

Gonna get it when I go grocery shopping Tuesday.

Hey guys

I have never used a/s astringents moisturizers (or even lather) before I started wetshaving. Since then I have tried witch hazel and am loving the effects and plan on adding a alum block and a/s to the mix.

My question is this, I have seen alum blocks priced anywhere from $4 to $24. Is there any difference in them or am I just paying for the brand? Are there any brands to avoid or certain ingredients (besides alum-har har) to look for?

thanks guys!

Also anyone know where I can get some osage rub in southern california?

yep!

I bought an alum bar at a local Indian grocery store for $1.49. It's fairly large and not as clear as many of the more expensive bars, but I've been using it for almost a year (on and off) and have had good results. You might want to check around before springing for more.

www.tulumba.com will make it worthyour while if there is no brick and mortar near you.

marty

Top Bottom