What's new

Alum Block or Pietra Allume

I'm curious whether anyone uses an alum block and whether it has replaced your use of witch hazel or toner? Curious whether it works since reading a story about an Italian barber that moved to Canada and was unable to find them there. Story of "Pietra Allume".

The description of a Bloc Osma alum block says that it, "will quickly sooth any irritation and razor burn, as well as close any small nick or weeper. It will also balance the PH of your skin leave your face beautifully toned; you will avoid those dreaded blood spots on the collar of your dress shirts."

i use alum from time to time ... i find though it sometimes dries my face out too much (YMMV i guess)

i usually only use alum when i don't use a witchazel based aftershave

I use an alum block most of the time, and I use witch hazel. I like to gauge the amount of irritation I'm getting with each shave. The alum block reveals that. Sometimes I think I am getting a close, irritation-free when I'm not. I almost always use Thayer's after rinsing off the alum.

i use an alum block most of the time, and i use witch hazel. I like to gauge the amount of irritation i'm getting with each shave. The alum block reveals that. Sometimes i think i am getting a close, irritation-free when i'm not. I almost always use thayer's after rinsing off the alum.

+1

I use an alum block most of the time, and I use witch hazel. I like to gauge the amount of irritation I'm getting with each shave. The alum block reveals that. Sometimes I think I am getting a close, irritation-free when I'm not. I almost always use Thayer's after rinsing off the alum.

excellent stuff ... i don't know what it is but if i use both alum & witch hazel during the same shave, my skin dries out ... YMMV i guess

Unless you're pinching pennies or trying to be some kind of minimalist there's no reason to choose between one or the other at all. I use alum immediately after the shave and leave it on for a minute or so while I clean up, then rinse thoroughly with warm water and follow up with an aftershave balm, toner or witch hazel, and a moisturizer. Once that's done I apply a roll-on styptic if necessary. The alum and witch hazel aren't moisturizing at all so that's where the aftershave balm and moisturizer come in. This combination works very well for me and has been extremely kind to my skin for many years. :001_smile

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'm curious whether anyone uses an alum block and whether it has replaced your use of witch hazel or toner? Curious whether it works since reading a story about an Italian barber that moved to Canada and was unable to find them there. Story of "Pietra Allume".

The description of a Bloc Osma alum block says that it, "will quickly sooth any irritation and razor burn, as well as close any small nick or weeper. It will also balance the PH of your skin leave your face beautifully toned; you will avoid those dreaded blood spots on the collar of your dress shirts."

Mike, I ALWAYS use the Alum Block. And I also posted a thread on the subject time ago. It is here: How to use the Alum Block.

Top Bottom