What's new

Alum Block How to use it & how to care for it

Hi Guys,
I don't know why but I bought an alum block the other day. I have heard they were good for you after you shave. I have never used one. It came wrapped in celophane and in a plastic "storage box". What does alum do, how do you use it and should I keep it in the box? Help me out here guys.

Superspot

It's an astringent and stops minor bleeding. After the shave do a cool rinse, wet the block and rub it all over your shaved area. Rinse the block and pat dry, return to case. You should like it.

Alum in a block is probably naturally occurring potassium aluminum sulfate. It's an astringent (tightens pores), styptic (stops minor bleeding) and antiseptic (stops bacteria). It's also an irritant. Finally, it's acidic when wet. The acid might help to bring the skin's pH closer to its natural acid nature after the harsh alkaline from shaving soaps and creams. All of these things can make it hurt your face, the same or worse than alcohol. It's pretty much a weaker version of an alum styptic pencil, although pencils can also be made from other things.

Leche outlined how to use it.

As for storing it... Although perfectly safe when dry, when wet, it forms small amounts of sulfuric acid on the surface. The acid is highly corrosive, and fumes easily, so it should be stored completely dry. It might be smart to also keep it away from any metal whatsoever. Even the small amount of sulfuric acid fumes from a wet alum block or styptic pencil can easily corrode (i.e. rust) nearby metal, including grooming tools and mounting screws. Since a bathroom is somewhat humid, some reasonable precautions might be in order for a dry block or stick, if only in case condensation forms. To be safe, I keep it in a hard plastic case, but not an air tight one, and don't place it on or directly next to anything metal. Most important, and worth repeating, is to always keep it dry when stored.

If you search the forum you'll find a lot more.

I love mine, use it every day.

After the shave, do a hot water rinse, then a cold water rinse. Pick up the whole alum block, wet one end of it, and move it around all over your face. Leave it out on the counter to dry, and wait a minute or so before rinsing your face again. Then apply your favorite aftershave or balm and you're done! (Put the alum block back into the plastic case once it's all dry)

After using the alum block, I let my face dry and then I rinse my face again. If I don't rinse after using the alum block, it leaves a residue on my face. I don't know if this happens to others, but it's necessary for me to rinse well afterwards.

After using the alum block, I let my face dry and then I rinse my face again. If I don't rinse after using the alum block, it leaves a residue on my face. I don't know if this happens to others, but it's necessary for me to rinse well afterwards.

I do this sometimes too. :thumbup1:

after using the alum block, i let my face dry and then i rinse my face again. If i don't rinse after using the alum block, it leaves a residue on my face. I don't know if this happens to others, but it's necessary for me to rinse well afterwards.

+1

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Hi Guys,
I don't know why but I bought an alum block the other day. I have heard they were good for you after you shave. I have never used one. It came wrapped in celophane and in a plastic "storage box". What does alum do, how do you use it and should I keep it in the box? Help me out here guys.

Superspot

I wrote a thread on the subject.
Give it a look!:001_smile

I love mine, use it every day.

After the shave, do a hot water rinse, then a cold water rinse. Pick up the whole alum block, wet one end of it, and move it around all over your face. Leave it out on the counter to dry, and wait a minute or so before rinsing your face again. Then apply your favorite aftershave or balm and you're done! (Put the alum block back into the plastic case once it's all dry)

+1 :thumbup1:

I do this with a slight variation, I run the entire block under cold running water, that I just rinse my face with, and then rub it all over where I cold water rinsed. Sometimes I rinse after, but not if I used it to deal with weepers. I let my block air dry on a wooden dowel soap tray and keep it there next to my drying brush.

Well, don't drop it. They shatter. :mad3:

Gravity is not your friend.

-- John Gehman

I bought a brand new alum block last week. The next day I put it on a hand towel to dry it off after use and then did something else like rinse my bowl. Grabbed for the towel to dry my bowl and there went the alum crashing to the floor. I remembered the second I yanked the towel that the alum was there. The drop to the floor was in slow motion and then it shattered. I managed to save one of the larger fragments to use in the mean time.

Love the stuff though. It's part of every shave.

I use my alum block with cold water and rinse again after a minute or so. I don't store it in a box, but in a small plastic tray to air dry. That way it doesn't crystalize and is smooth and ready to go for the next time.

I bought a brand new alum block last week. The next day I put it on a hand towel to dry it off after use and then did something else like rinse my bowl. Grabbed for the towel to dry my bowl and there went the alum crashing to the floor. I remembered the second I yanked the towel that the alum was there. The drop to the floor was in slow motion and then it shattered. I managed to save one of the larger fragments to use in the mean time.

Love the stuff though. It's part of every shave.

This is one of the big reasons we came out with the Alum Stick. You are not the only one that has done this, I've shattered a few of them myself:angry:

I always rinse the residue off too. I didn't use to, but noticed a white powdery film forming if I didn't.

My theory being that anything Alum is used for will be done after a minute or two (closing pores, disinfecting skin etc.)

Either way is fine though and it's another one of those things down to personal choice.

Alum in a block is probably naturally occurring potassium aluminum sulfate. It's an astringent (tightens pores), styptic (stops minor bleeding) and antiseptic (stops bacteria). It's also an irritant. Finally, it's acidic when wet. The acid might help to bring the skin's pH closer to its natural acid nature after the harsh alkaline from shaving soaps and creams. All of these things can make it hurt your face, the same or worse than alcohol. It's pretty much a weaker version of an alum styptic pencil, although pencils can also be made from other things.

Leche outlined how to use it.

As for storing it... Although perfectly safe when dry, when wet, it forms small amounts of sulfuric acid on the surface. The acid is highly corrosive, and fumes easily, so it should be stored completely dry. It might be smart to also keep it away from any metal whatsoever. Even the small amount of sulfuric acid fumes from a wet alum block or styptic pencil can easily corrode (i.e. rust) nearby metal, including grooming tools and mounting screws. Since a bathroom is somewhat humid, some reasonable precautions might be in order for a dry block or stick, if only in case condensation forms. To be safe, I keep it in a hard plastic case, but not an air tight one, and don't place it on or directly next to anything metal. Most important, and worth repeating, is to always keep it dry when stored.

If you search the forum you'll find a lot more.

Great post...I didn't know that Alum produced small amounts of sulfuric acid.

That's why I love this site. No matter how much you may think you know about a particular topic, somebody is always there to trump it.

Cheers SiB:thumbup1:

Thanks Everyone, I used it the last couple of days per advice and instructions on here and the old mug felt pretty good. I have always used a stypic pencil but the alum block was a new experience

Used an alum block for the first time this morning -- thanks for all the input, especially on drying it and storing it properly!

Top Bottom