What's new

Alum Block confusion

I just received an alum block I ordered from eShave. As I look at it, I can't help but wonder if this is the same as my deodorant crystal. They look pretty similar other than one is rectangular and the other is bullet shaped. The block is $16.00; the deodorant crystal $3.99. :confused1

Yep, I'd bet good money that your deodorant crystal was made from bauxite which was refined down to pure (or pretty close) alum salts.

That is exactly the same thing that they do to make alum blocks for shaving, as far as I know. :eek:

BTW, do those deodorant crystals work well? I know that they work by altering the pH of the skin surface to kill the bacteria that make you smell funky, but how long does it remain effective?

LtBrugman70 said:
BTW, do those deodorant crystals work well? I know that they work by altering the pH of the skin surface to kill the bacteria that make you smell funky, but how long does it remain effective?

I have one that I've been using for a year and a half- normally, anywhere from 16- 24 hours of protection( activity level is importante!), but YMMV. :wink:

Marty

jduffy said:
Can you actually buy alum bars at brick and mortar stores or do you have to do it online?

I got mine from classic shaving... I've NEVER seen one locally anywhere... But then, that doesn't surprise me considering the ONLY place I can even buy a shaving brush locally is the boar bristle one from Target...

jduffy said:
Can you actually buy alum bars at brick and mortar stores or do you have to do it online?
I purchased mine from Nordstroms...they carry the AOS line...although for $15you could get one shipped for less.

Does anyone use the deodorant crystal in place of an alum block? I'd probably buy a new one just for that purpose, rather than using my existing one... :biggrin:

J

Ok this is quite strange. Never would have imagined any relationship between alum blocks and deoderant crystals!!

I have a deoderant crystal that I received from a friend, have no idea of it's origins or specs...but now I am thinking of taking it to the bathroom!!

As for it's effectiveness...I stopped using it...never seemed to do much for me. Maybe I'll give it another shot. It certainly lasts a very long time.

I have used deodorant crystals for under arm use for years now. It works for me. It allows you to sweat normally (as they say is healthier) but does not allow the bacterial production that produces unpleasant odor. Unless you are a profuse underarm sweater where there would be noticeable wet spots on a shirt, I would recommend using one.

boboakalfb said:
I purchased mine from Nordstroms...they carry the AOS line...although for $15you could get one shipped for less.

Thanks for the tip Bob O. as I keep forgetting that Nordstrom does carry a lot shaving supplies, particularly if you find the right one. Not all Nordstroms for example carry Truefitt and Hill.

Looks like I'll be stopping by Nordstrom as well as Crabtree and Evelyn one of these nights.

Top Bottom