What's new

Alum block blues

So I have been using an alum block since I started double edge and straight razor shaving, I've used up a Gentleman Jon block, and the problem I had with it is that it crumbled and broke apart on the side, well I managed and used it up. I did some research and it turns out that the Razo Rock alum was the one to go with, well I bought that one and have been using it for about 6 months, it's also starting to crumble and break apart on the one edge.

Am I missing something here, or should I just accept that Alum Blocks crumble and break apart?

Wow. I started with Gentleman Jon in 2012. I bought two. One is still in my travel kit and I just replaced my daily one.

I splash my face with cold water and with a very small amount of cold water on my fingers, I wet the face of the block. The block is for the most part, dry. I moisten it just enough so it glides.

Maybe you are getting the block to moist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Parker.Alum.Block.alum block.480.3-8-19.JPG

I've been using this one or one like it for many many months. It actually looks much better albeit smaller now than it did when the photo was taken.

The blocks aren't going to last forever but they last a lot longer when dried well after each use. I use mine mostly to make my finger tips better at holding the razor and stretching my skin.

I've tried a good many brands. I don't know if this one is the best but it's the best I've tried. It's large.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I got the cheapest no-name block I could find on eBay and six months on it's still in good shape.

From what I've read the two big things to avoid with alum blocks are (i) dropping them (ii) storing them in anything other than dry conditions. Even if you dry the block thoroughly after use, keeping it in a container that has drops of moisture in it or in a location where it gets exposed to condensation could be enough to start the rot.

I tend to drop mine before it gets used up. They do last a long time if you can avoid dropping it but at some point in a given year it's probably just going to slip out of my fingers at least once. My last couple "alum blocks" have been Crystal deodorant which you can probably find somewhere locally. I found one at Walgreens in the deodorant section a few weeks ago. It's a huge piece of alum in a container that makes it easier to hold onto and only cost about $6.

I'll start storing it in the open when I'm done with it to see if that handles the rot that I'm getting on it, that's the best description I have heard and what I'm actually experiencing.

It's just weird because the one of the block is mint, and both large surfaces are in great shape, it's just the one end that I have the rot with.

Spend the extra pennies and get a well polished pure block like Osma. Dry it with a towel after use and it will stay as smooth as glass until it’s too small to use or you shatter it by dropping it.

That smooth polished feel is worth it to me.

My Osma block is holding up after months of constant use. Dry the surface with a quick wipe. Also use a rubber band around it to prevent it from slipping. I think I got mine from a batch of asparagus. I had a couple of other blocks that crumbled and the Osma is better IMHO.

My favorite is the Proraso Alum Block, unlike many others it doesn't seem to be pressed together pieces but rather a solid hunk of alum. Of several I've tried that were cheap and seemed to be comprised of hundreds of pieces pressed together this one has outlasted ALL of them.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've found keeping it in the open air reduces the alum's peril to the one - dropping it. This one is a couple years old now ..

IMG_9541.JPG
IMG_9541.JPG

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Mine never last. I drench mine in cold water and rub it on my face for ages after I shave. They last a few months but not years like some members seem to get out of them. I think I use mine to vigorously.

I place mine in a small plastic box lined on the bottom with tissue paper. I make sure that I dry it first and the tissue paper absorbs any excess moisture. Seems to work fine.

My first alum block was also a Gentleman Jon. Bought it in 2014. It is now a very small piece that I am beginning to have trouble holding to rub on my face. Meaning it's time to open a new one. I bought an Osma to replace it. I never had issue with it crumbling. I always used the same side of the block on my face. Over time that side became nice and smooth. The rough side remained rough. I wonder if the crumbling happened because you put it away wet? The way I use the alum is when I do my final cold water rinse I leave the water on my face and immediately rub the alum on my wet face. It provides all the moisture necessary to apply a nice amount of alum to my face after the shave. I then take the alum block and dry it on a towel before putting it back in the plastic container. If you dry yours after each use then I can't offer any explanation for the crumbling.

I have a Gentleman Jon alum block. It also has crumbled on the ends. It began doing that after the first couple of uses, even though I allowed it to thoroughly air dry.

broken alum can still be used.

I have no special storage for alum. It's dirt cheap. I just store it next to my razor, nothing special. If it's wet... oh well.

My first alum block was also a Gentleman Jon. Bought it in 2014. It is now a very small piece that I am beginning to have trouble holding to rub on my face. Meaning it's time to open a new one. I bought an Osma to replace it. I never had issue with it crumbling. I always used the same side of the block on my face. Over time that side became nice and smooth. The rough side remained rough. I wonder if the crumbling happened because you put it away wet? The way I use the alum is when I do my final cold water rinse I leave the water on my face and immediately rub the alum on my wet face. It provides all the moisture necessary to apply a nice amount of alum to my face after the shave. I then take the alum block and dry it on a towel before putting it back in the plastic container. If you dry yours after each use then I can't offer any explanation for the crumbling.

I only use one side as well and I place it in its box, unused side down. It is never dried or sat on a wick of any kind with the lid closed. It was getting to the point I wanted something to happen to it.

Take the broken pieces and stick them in a spray bottle. Add rubbing alcohol. Shake & spray armpits. Congrats [emoji324][emoji323][emoji322][emoji898] you just made deodorant without the aluminum that causes Alzheimers! Oh, did I mention you just saved $$?

I have had great success with this
Tell Geo Fatboy I sent ya

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom