What's new

Alum Block(before shave)

I might try this on my final pass and see how it goes. If I get good results I may try using it on earlier passes. It definately helps with grip too; I use a little on my finger tips to help keep my slippery skin taut.

I carry a shaving soap made by Laboratoires OSMA in France that has alum in it. I am not trying to be a pushy marketer, I only mention it here since I don't think anyone else carries it in North America so there's probably not much awareness of it around B&B.

Tried shaving using an alum block tonight after seeing this thread. Here was my routine:

Taylor's Lemon Face Wash
Truffit and Hill West Indian Lime's Cream
Merkur HD/Sharp Blade
WTG
Rinse/Alum Block
Re-lather/ATG
Warm water rinse/Cold water rinse
Alum Block
Master Bay Rum After Shave Lotion
Nivea Balm

I had a three day beard going into tonight's shave and I must say I DID notice a slight difference (for the better) using the alum block in between passes as I always get BBS shaves, but tonights was even better. Whether this really makes a difference or not, I'll keep using this method. Try It!

I did find that re-lathering in a circular motion made the cream dissapear, but brushed on, cream stuck to face just fine.

wow interesting 9 years since the last post. I switched to wet shaving a few months back so I tried this since I am very sensitive on my neck and this was a huge game changer for me. I did not have any issues with Lathering at all as I just painted it on, but what difference this made around my neck area. Now I have BBS on my neck with no irritation or nicks thanks to this thread as I searched to see if anyone tried it and I am glad I did.

You'd probably benefit from cold water shaves. Tightens the pours and makes the hair stiff and straight so the blade has an easier time to slice.

I think he is on to something here, gents. I use Osma alum blocks and (being able to translate the directions with the little French that I can still remember) the directions state that if you are shaving with an electric razor to apply the alum beforehand. I've tried this the other day - on accident - and I thought that it might have helped, but couldn't be sure till I experimented more. As other posters have indicated it might help the hairs stand up straight; especially those difficult one that insist on lying flat.

Funny, I reached the same conclusion and wanted to start a thread, but used the search function. I tried alum before the shave and it works very well. I leave the alum on a while, then rinse with cold water, then lather and shave and after the shave alum again. I will also try it in between passe now.

In my mind it makes perfect sense and the results confirm it. Hot water and opening pores seems like an invitation to irritation to me. The skin is swollen and thus you will not cut as deep. The skin is also more vulnerable when it's hot and with the pores open. I fail to see the relevance of opening your pores for shaving I have to say, I wonder where it comes from. I would think you want the skin tight, and the hairs stiff and upright.

Alum before, and cold water: I never have any irritation and I do not at all have a rhino skin.

I find that alum will destroy my lather. I avoid it like the bubonic plague until my shave is complete.

I think most other experienced shavers would agree, but I am open to being wrong.

I have to admit that I don't really care about lather so I don't really take that factor into account. You see this effect even when you rinse the alum of? I guess I could try again without alum and see if the lather gets any better, but I am sure my latter is terrible anyway. at any rate I have now even stopped using aftershave and my skin has never been better, so I seem to respond well to excessive alum use.

Top Bottom