What's new

Alum Block at Whole Foods?

Iv'e read a few posts now about using Alum Blocks for their healing properties & would like to give it a shot. I could have sworn I read at least a few posts stating a few guys had picked one up at Whole Foods. Being an instant gratification type guy, I'd like to pick one up locally as opposed to order online. I spent 15 min in the shave aisle (Man, Kiss My Face Patchouli shave cream smells wonderful. Too bad they dont make a shave soap!!!) as well as the deoderant aisle this a.m. at Whole Foods but had no luck finding it. Can anyone help me narrow down where I might find it, what the packaging looks like maybe, or am I mistaken in thinking they carry it?

From what I understand, the Thai Crystal-type deodorant "sticks" are exactly the same as blocks of alum for after shaving. That's what I have been using. I think it makes a difference in the amount of irritation I get from shaving. Who knows, though. I use a lot of different things on my face before and after shaving.

At my local Whole Foods, they were on the bottom shelf in a fishbowl. There are two kinds. One was a cube of potassium alum and the other was a stick-like thing of aluminum alum.

Get the potassium alum as it burns less.

From what I understand, the Thai Crystal-type deodorant "sticks" are exactly the same as blocks of alum for after shaving. That's what I have been using. I think it makes a difference in the amount of irritation I get from shaving. Who knows, though. I use a lot of different things on my face before and after shaving.

If you go this route, make sure you get the one that doesn't say something like "Goes on wet, then dries"

That one does not work on the face and burns like a mother over a nick.:redface:

I use these now, get them at the local health food store.

Mine is something like "100% crystal nothing added" on the label.

I've noticed there are a number of 'roll on' crystal deodorants that I wasn't brave enough to try.

My stick cost about $6, but it is big and heavy. Should last a very long time.

Edit: I did use it on the kisser after last night's shave. Yeah, it stung, but I liked the tightness of my skin afterward. May go back to more regular face usage.

Im not sure where you are located, but in NYC where I am Whole Foods has a Body store where I found mine. But if not it should be with the deodorant.

I've noticed there are a number of 'roll on' crystal deodorants that I wasn't brave enough to try.

It's just the same stuff dissolved into water. I have found some where they have a whole crystal in the bottle and you just top up with water as you use it.

You could just smash up a crystal and put it into a clean empty deodorant bottle and fill it with water.

Top Bottom