What's new

Alum Block - Anyone else have this happen?

I recently purchased an Alum Block on eBay and upon getting it in yesterday something concerned me about it. One of the ends was already dusty and crumbling to the touch out of the package and before I used it. I don't want to mention a seller name but did try contact them roughly 24 hours ago and still no response yet. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, is this normal and since I am fairly new to DE shaving will this effect the life of the alum block?

Here are a few pics:

$20161202_141642.jpg$20161202_141659.jpg$20161202_141816.jpg

It is hard to see but there is literally an air pocket in the first picture. The second picture you can see what I would consider a week spot going through the block and you might be able to see it clearly in the last picture. Based on your advice should I just buy another and if so who sells the best?

Thanks for your help

I always get air pockets in the cheaper alum blocks they are still good to use. I just bought 2 osma blocks and they look to be very good quality.

The seller of your alum block will make good on it. Since you notified them of the issue within three days you should be OK.

As for brands of alum blocks, I have had good luck with

proxy.php

and

proxy.php

Gotcha man, just wanted to make sure this was normal. I had seen a few post where it looked as those the block literally disintegrated on people (almost looking like an ice sickle that was melting) and was worried this would end up being on of those bars. Thanks for the feedback bro.

I had seen the Razo Rock listed also but chose this particular seller based on the fact they promised shipping the next business day (even though that didn't happen. I gave them the benefit of the doubt thinking family may have been in town which caused shipping delays beyond there control. The Osma rock I had noticed also looked like it was at a great price, just really wanted the nifty travel case. Great suggestions though, will make note of them and probably buy both this weekend.

Seller did reach out today and fixed the problem without hesitation. Looks like I just fell through the cracks on this one but all and all was taken care of pretty quickly. Looking forward to the new block coming, seems like all the "old school" DE shavers can't say enough good stuff about these blocks so they must have merit. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Going forward get Osma, I got those first and then tried other brands purely for the case and they all crumbled on the sides, even Razorock. Ordered Osma again, still perfect and fits all the cases!

My 1st alum block was from India - perfect for the job, but when it slipped out of my hand it didn't bounce
I tried a cheap one from Turkey, but didn't like the face feel, and it was even more brittle than the Indian one when I dropped it (I didn't think I was destined to keep an alum block in one piece)
I rubbed the rough edges of the biggest piece of Indian alum against the bits of Turkish alum to smooth it out a bit and used the big bit of Indian alum until it disintegrated one morning
I now use an Osma alum block (very carefully) and so far so good, it's perfect

I gave up buying the blocks years ago in favour of natural crystals: they're cheaper; easier to handle; and I haven't had one crumble on me yet.

One suggestion I have seen for the slippage problem is to put a rubber band or a rubber washer around the perimeter of the block to give a non-slip grip. I haven't done that to my own block yet but it sounds like a cheap, sensible fix to me.

IMO, Osma block is the way to go if the '"crumbling" is a factor for you. The ones I've had maintained their "integrity." That said, I've been using a RazoRock block for months that started it's life crumbled on one side. It's ugly, but it works just fine.

IMO, Osma block is the way to go if the '"crumbling" is a factor for you. The ones I've had maintained their "integrity." That said, I've been using a RazoRock block for months that started it's life crumbled on one side. It's ugly, but it works just fine.
+1 with Osma

Mine slipped out of my hand the other day and landed on the edge of the sink in front of the mirror, bounced and stayed intact apart from a tiny chip in one of the corners !!
Indian and Turkish alum block have ended up in pieces for less !!

I've used both natural crystal and the blocks. My current block came in the same package yours did (the picture kind of gave away the brand), but a year later it's still holding up just fine, and I'm guessing I'll get another full year from it. I found the block stings less than natural crystal, but not much--I figure whatever is cheapest works just fine.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
When I returned to wet shaving, and joined B&B, lo those many grisly eons ago, I found out I needed an Alum Block. So I bought one at the cigar store nearby that sold Art of Shaving. Don't recall exactly, but might have been a $15 alum block. Ok, when dropped on tile it was sad. And the shards are sharp underfoot.

I still use alum, every shave, both on my hands for grip and after for astringency. But after dropping several, buy the cheapest you can. I did work the last one down to a nub that one day I was admiring, and dropped it almost at the thought.

Last edited:
I bought a cheapo block once and never again.

Osma or if youre doing Ebay, Gentleman Jon are just as good and packed tight.

I had the same prob with my Maggard Block. One whole side is crumbling and I haven't even had it a year. Got a IB one to replace once it finally goes.

Never a problem with this one. Perhaps a little bit more expensive than the "bargain brands," but definitely worth it.
After all, I only have one face and I want to treat it right !

$s-l500.jpg

I think the real problem will be when you finally drop the block and it shatters. And, if you use it you will eventually drop it. I used the same block from a foreign supplier on the bay and only just dropped the block after 2 years. I am still using the larges piece and I pulverized the remaining pieces using a mortar and pestle to a very fine powder. Which works well on nicks or cuts applied with a wet finger dipped into the pulverized dust. The 3 blocks I got originally had air inclusions and I didn't worry about them. But, the price was very cheap for the 3 blocks at the time.

I have similar situation with my maggards alum block but I only use it once or twice a month so my block looks the same as the day I got it a year and a half ago

Top Bottom