What's new

Alum & Art of Shaving

I got a gift certificate to the AOS and used it yesterday...:w00t: I wound up getting myself an Alum Bar and a Styptic Pencil, as well as a Dovo straight. I have seen most AOS products get fairly consistently poor reviews on here. Does anyone have any experience with the Alum block and/or Styptic Pencil they market under their brand name? am I better off returning them and getting another brand?
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place- skin care seemed about right...
Thanks for your feedback!

Alum is alum (potassium for shaving, not ammonium) and most styptic pencils are made with anhydrous aluminum sulfate. The only difference between the AOS products you mention and others is the cost, with AOS being outrageously overpriced.

Hope this helps.

Alum is alum, there's no chemical difference between the $26 AOS stuff and the $2 Indian Grocery stuff.
I'd take it back and spend my money on something else.

Where have you seen 'negative reviews' on AOS products? Everything they sell is top of the line - the only problems are that they mark up their hardware to a ridiculous amount, soaps and creams are expensive (but not completely out of line with the market) and their sales associates are usually very poorly trained.

I got a gift certificate to the AOS and used it yesterday...:w00t: I wound up getting myself an Alum Bar and a Styptic Pencil, as well as a Dovo straight. I have seen most AOS products get fairly consistently poor reviews on here. Does anyone have any experience with the Alum block and/or Styptic Pencil they market under their brand name? am I better off returning them and getting another brand?
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place- skin care seemed about right...
Thanks for your feedback!
i'm not sure i'd say most aos products are poorly received here at b&b. their soaps and creams generally get some positive PERFORMANCE reviews. of course, when price is factored in, some believe the products are grossly overpriced. i use the aos lavender shave soap and it's the best performer in my soap stable. i think the $26 price is well justified; many would disagree.
jr/john

I would return both and get some soap or cream. You can get both a styptic pencil and an alum bloc elsewhere for about $4 total.

Yes, I went to the Paramus store at Garden State Plaza. I got a 33% discount with this crazy coupon they gave my sister when she bought the gift card, so the price was actually not nearly as bad as their retail asking price. I was just concerned about the relative quality of the product. I had seen a thread on their Pre-shave oil that was pretty negative, so I just wanted to check on the Alum, but it sounds like they can't really mess that up. I just found another coupon with the samples they gave my sister for $25.00 off when you buy Pre-shave, Shave Cream, and ASB. I used the pre-shave oil today, but it's the first time I've used this type of product, so I have nothing to compare it to, unfortunately.

Basically what needs to be said has been said: alum is alum is alum, all day long. They can't screw it up, but they can certainly price it too high.

Their chave cream is quite good, and I've enjoyed their lavender pre-shave oil more for the scent than as a performance product, but your mileage may vary.

I had seen a thread on their Pre-shave oil that was pretty negative, so I just wanted to check on the Alum...

Their preshave oil get's nearly all negative reviews, but their other products are considered to be stellar. I love their Lavender Shaving Cream, easily some of the best cream on the market.

I'm with everyone else on this one, I don't know who said AoS products get poor reviews. Their stuff is all top shelf, especially the shaving soap. About the only thing that isn't uniformly respected is their pre-shave oil. Their stuff is definitely expensive though.

Yes, I went to the Paramus store at Garden State Plaza. I got a 33% discount with this crazy coupon they gave my sister when she bought the gift card, so the price was actually not nearly as bad as their retail asking price. I was just concerned about the relative quality of the product. I had seen a thread on their Pre-shave oil that was pretty negative, so I just wanted to check on the Alum, but it sounds like they can't really mess that up. I just found another coupon with the samples they gave my sister for $25.00 off when you buy Pre-shave, Shave Cream, and ASB. I used the pre-shave oil today, but it's the first time I've used this type of product, so I have nothing to compare it to, unfortunately.

I stop at that store all the time, one of the guys there is really cool and helpful. I think he is on this forum somewhere. I had their alum block and the Geo F Trumper brand block. They were both the same. I didn't care for their pre-shave oil but I agree with everyone else, their soaps and creams are great. I love the lavender aftershave balm and recently bought the aftershave gel.

Last edited:
Bloc Osma alum is more expensive than the regular cheap stuff around, but it's aesthetically nicer and (more important) has an excellent wax paper box that doesn't mind getting wet.

I now put the cheaper alums inside the Bloc Osma box.

Go with the cheapest one you can find. I got mine form best shave in turkey- works great. I have been using the same little bar for almost 6 months- gets alleast 6 uses a week, and its still 70% the size of the new one.

I noticed the most important part of your post, you got a Dovo straight! :001_smile

Now have in mind that it needs honing before use, do not attempt shaving with it before you get it honed.

Hi Blix!
It is actually the sort that takes a DE blade cut in half- a shavette. I haven't tried it out yet.
Any advice?

Hi Blix!
It is actually the sort that takes a DE blade cut in half- a shavette. I haven't tried it out yet.
Any advice?

Ah a Shavette. Just be careful, they can bite quickly, they're a bit more unforgiving than a normal straight. :001_smile

Top Bottom