What's new

Alum and Aftershave

Can you use alum and alcohol base aftershave or is there no point using both. Is it one or the other.

Sorry for the stupid question, I'm new to DE shaving

Alum is an antibacterial and also helps close up little nicks. I lived most of my life never using alum until recently. I like it because where it stings, it shows where the skin was treated a little too harshly. I apply it, clean my gear, then rinse it off before applying a post shave balm. There is no harm in leaving it on too, probably. I try to avoid alcohol, and I am cheap, so I do not use alcohol based aftershave.

Why did I never use alum before? After entering DE shaving world recently, I learned that the crystal deodorant I have been using for years because of very sensitive skin is the exact same compound as alum. When sold as deodorant, it is also cheaper than when sold as a shaving product.

You can get the same benefits from alcohol free witch hazel. It is a skin toner and also has disinfectant properties. I switch between alum and witch hazel, depending on my mood.

I am not sure of the posting outside link rules here, so I will just suggest searching an article on mantic59's Sharpologist website "what is the best aftershave for your skin and your wallet." His info and videos provide a great introduction to de shaving.

I use both. The alum stops any slight irritation and seals any potential weepers. I let it dry and sometimes put on aftershave because I like the smell and the softness most impart on my face. Now, some soaps leave my face feeling so good that I skip the application of the aftershave.

Alum is an antibacterial and also helps close up little nicks. I lived most of my life never using alum until recently. I like it because where it stings, it shows where the skin was treated a little too harshly. I apply it, clean my gear, then rinse it off before applying a post shave balm. There is no harm in leaving it on too, probably. I try to avoid alcohol, and I am cheap, so I do not use alcohol based aftershave.

Why did I never use alum before? After entering DE shaving world recently, I learned that the crystal deodorant I have been using for years because of very sensitive skin is the exact same compound as alum. When sold as deodorant, it is also cheaper than when sold as a shaving product.

You can get the same benefits from alcohol free witch hazel. It is a skin toner and also has disinfectant properties. I switch between alum and witch hazel, depending on my mood.

I am not sure of the posting outside link rules here, so I will just suggest searching an article on mantic59's Sharpologist website "what is the best aftershave for your skin and your wallet." His info and videos provide a great introduction to de shaving.

Thank you for your help

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I shave before I shower so the Alum is washed off in the shower and then I apply a balm before I get dressed. Best of both worlds.

Always use both in addition to Thayer's Witch Hazel and Lucky Tiger. What can I say? I have a sensitive neck and all of those things together keep any irritation away.

I also use alum and then apply an aftershave splash. I've also been applying an aftershave balm after the splash. I really like this combination for me. However, I have not conducted any studies or reviews as to what the best post-shave regimen is, let alone whether it would be good for anyone else (as with most shaving related matters, I figured this was a YMMV matter). I just know I like this regimen.

Most shaves I’ll rinse after final pass, apply alum, let it sit, cold water rinse, dry, and apply AS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I use both.
For some reason my alum block has a secret eject button. Sometimes I unknowingly hit it and it flies out of my fingers. Sails in slow motion through the air and crash lands on the floor.

I use alum now and again then rinse after no more than 30 seconds then use aftershave. If I leave it longer it rashes my face up.

I use Alum and like the Omega stick because it’s easy to handle and store. Are deodorant products line Crystal the same as alum? They look the same, but come in larger - and like my omega stick, easy use - packaging.

Top Bottom