What's new

Alton Brown's Revised Fondue

Santa came early and brought me an Oster electric fondue pot today. My first attempt was Brown's revised fondue recipe, from Good Eats Reloaded.

In the Reloaded episode, Brown admitted that his original fondue recipe from Good Eats was pretty bad, but he says the revised recipe "nails it." I never tried the original recipe, but the revised recipe is darn good.

1 cup Sauvignon Blanc
2 tablespoons fruit brandy
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic
7 ounces emmenthaler
6 ounces gruyere
3 ounces gouda
11 grams corn starch
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Shred cheeses. Add corn starch and white pepper; shake together to coat cheeses with corn starch and pepper.

Rub inside of fondue pot with the garlic clove, discard. Add wine, brandy, and lemon juice to fondue pot. Heat pot to about 135 F (the warm setting on the Oster electric is close enough).

When liquid inside the pot is heated, add cheese a handful at a time, stirring well. Add additional handfuls slowly, allowing the handfuls to melt before each addition.

When all cheese is added, whisk in the horseradish. Whisk a minute longer; mixture should be creamy, bubbly, and coat a spoon.

This fondue is delicious with bread, meats, and veggies. My favorite may have been broccoli florets. I think Brown can legitimately claim to have nailed it with this one.

Top Bottom