What's new

Alternatives to the fat Wallets

Update: the concept of that Pad & Quill wallet/phone case is starting to win me over. Yes, it has some impracticalities -- but one case for wallet and phone sounds VERY practical and I'd keep it front pocket so I don't have to deal with sitting on a fat wallet any more. I'm going to think about it for a few days, but I may very well be ordering one soon.

True, it is possible to take the wallet out of your back pocket before you sit, but then what do you do with it? Sit there holding your wallet?

it has some impracticalities . . .

Honestly, I think I've gotten so used to popping the phone out of the case when I use it for nav in the car, that I don't even notice it anymore. It takes maybe 2 seconds to take the phone in and out, and it could just be me, but I don't ever find that I'm in such a hurry that the 2 seconds makes much difference. Everyone's tastes are different, but I love not having a wallet anymore.

For the past few months, I have used a LV pocket organizer. It has a very slim profile and fits neatly into my front pockets. I usually don't carry a lot of cash and when I do it is a minimal amount of bills. I really like the how the cards sit vertically rather than horizontally like most billfolds. I also use the exterior pocket to store any receipts, etc that i acquire throughout the night. Not sure if I'll end up going back to a billfold after using this configuration.

Attachments

• $photo 1-1.jpg
    $photo 1-1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 244
  • $photo 2-1.jpg
    $photo 2-1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 244
True, it is possible to take the wallet out of your back pocket before you sit, but then what do you do with it? Sit there holding your wallet?

good grief, that is not at all what I was referring to!

Stick your hand (or even just a finger) in your pocket and just swing the whole thing to the side as you sit. Abra-cadabra~ you are sitting down with your wallet in your back pocket and it's not underneath you. Well, unless you're wearing jeans I guess.

When SWMBO started to complain about me putting my stuff in her handbag I started to use a "murse", I can keep my wallet, phone, keys and still have a little room for stuff. There are quite a few masculine looking crossbody bags available you look very European and no unsightly bulges!!!

I've always been puzzled by the belief that back-pocket wallets and sitting on them are synonymous.

Stick your hand (or even just a finger) in your pocket and just swing the whole thing to the side as you sit. Abra-cadabra~ you are sitting down with your wallet in your back pocket and it's not underneath you. Well, unless you're wearing jeans I guess.

Glad you explained a little more, as I expected you to simply say that you put your designed-for-back-pocket wallet into your front pocket instead of using a designed-for-front-pocket wallet which had been contoured to fit that shape. I have discovered that carrying my designed-for-back-pocket bi-fold wallet upside down in my front pocket works pretty well, avoiding the tendency for the wallet to act as a pair of pinchers and pull out any coins that happen to find their way into the bottom of my pocket.

This has been a rub of mine for years. In the car I always take the wallet out of my pants as I hate to sit on it. I'm liking the thin wallet idea.

The Tuf-luv looks like pretty much the same thing I'm using, except it looks more like a file-o-fax (remember those?) than a Moleskin. It looks like the same pocket/slot configuration, which so far has worked really well for me.

I have it down to 4 cards and I'm thinking of ditching one of them. I'm lucky when there is any cash. $WP_20130717_001.jpg$WP_20130717_003.jpg $WP_20130717_002.jpgI've had this Makr Carry Goods flap wallet for a couple of years now and I love it.

Last edited:
I bought a kevlar sail cloth wallet from a seller on Etsy, and it's the slimmest, most durable, sweat-proof wallet I've ever used. I hope I can always get one, but it'll be a long time before I need to buy another one. I've had mine for about a year and it looks brand new.

It's sort of a clear plastic material with a kevlar mesh inside the plastic. One of the best things about it is that the card slots face toward the spine of the wallet, so they can't fall out, even if you're only carrying a couple cards. Also, cards don't stick to the material. They slide in and out very easily.

The seller is called swartbacksliders, and searching kevlar sail cloth wallet on Etsy.com will bring up these wallets. Almost every time I use it, someone asks about it, which may or may not be a good thing.

-Andy

@boro62

I used to use a Saddleback Leather ID wallet and liked it but it is too small to accomadate what I carry (TX License, TX CHL, Dues card and insurance card) and a Credit Card, and Sam's Card in the back. Instead I found this wallet:

http://www.perryellis.com/wallets/elastic-front-pocket-portfolio-wallet/892137RT.html

I bought mine in brown at Stein Mart. I can post the SKU # and information if you like it. I like it because it holds my cash and easy to use with one hand. If you can't find one through Stein Mart I can have them either send one to a store close to you or send you one.

I picked up a skinny wallet at Nordstrom Rack with the intention of carrying it while wearing a suit or blazer to minimize pocket bulge, and ended up making it my daily wallet. It's by Lodis, which is a company that seems mainly to make women's products. Has a money clip attached and was $20. Impossible to find online, but NR had a multitude of them a few months ago. I am also interested in the Architect's Wallet by form.function.form (who make terrific watch bands), though the idea of carrying around a tiny Moleskine and pen with my wallet might seem more attractive than actually doing so:

http://formfunctionform.com/product/architects-wallet/

Last edited:
Just a wallet. I rarely carry cash, only have three bank cards, and the rest of the cards I carry are things like driver's license, insurance cards, and "in case of emergency call..." I carry things like shopping rewards cards as little as possible; I prefer to just have them look up the account by phone number, or I might have the little thingy on my keychain. (and, I tend to carry gift cards when I have them... otherwise I forget to grab them when going where I need to use them).

When going to a pub or something when I really don't want to walk around with a lump in my back pocket/am not wearing cargo pants, usually ID and one or two bank cards go in my pocket, car key gets removed from rest of keychain and goes in my pocket as well. I don't need the rest. Same goes for running: ID and insurance card, phone, apartment key, nothing else. I hate purses and only carry one if I really, really have to, and even then it will be small enough that only the bare essentials (wallet, phone, keys) fit.

Or if you don't have huge pockets. My wallet juuuuuust slides into most of my pants pockets; I even have pants with pockets too small and/or shallow for a wallet (ah, yes, women's clothing: good for nothing, but I know, I'm supposed to be carrying some huge tote bag of a purse, right?). Forget front pockets-- I'd never fit much substantial in there, and certainly not without a creepy-looking lump on my hip.

A couple of years ago, I went the "minimalist" route and got a slim card wallet (from Chester Mox) and a money clip. The wallet held probably about six or seven cards. I got tired of having to "plan" out my potential needs (i.e. having to figure out if I "needed" my FSA credit card vs. Costco, or my AAA card vs. my subway card on the weekends). And it got a little (just a little) frustrating having more items to juggle in my pockets. So I tried out the All-Ett wallet and, like a previous poster wrote, once you get the sail cloth broken in, it's great. And I can carry every card I have and it's about the same dept as my slim wallet. It's tall (basically the height of two card stacked landscape-wise) but slim. And I don't have to "plan" out my card needs.

Its not exciting but it's pretty convenient and only about $20.

Top Bottom