What's new

Alternatives to GEM Micromatic Open Comb

Dear all,

I am a long time user of the MMOC with superb result and happiness.

I am kind of stubborn/interested on applying a treatment on them to refresh its looking. People out there like North Shore Razors and the missing Delta Echo can do it in any machine except MMOC due to the difficulty of disassembling/assembling procedure.

Given the fact that the aggressiveness and close shaves of the MMOC are not a trade term, which SE razor can equal those features?

Feather Artist club could replace the MMOC?

Cheers from Spain.

Brother 41,

Forgive me, but I don't quite understand your statement or your question.

With the Gem MMOC you have reached "the top of the mountain." And you wanna go higher?

There's a Blackland Sabre L2 that uses the GEM blade, some say it's just a step behind the MMOC.

My ATT SE1(AC) with a Schick Proline is a step behind the MMOC, I reach for it more than the MMOC. Takes a couple of extra strokes, but it will get just as close as the MMOC.

The MM Clog Pruf is just a step behind the MMOC.

Schick E2 injector is up there in efficiency

There's more out there that are up there, some with a learning curve and a higher efficiency.

The MMOC is hard to beat though.

If you like the shave of a MMOC then just keep an eye out for a NOS or really nice one. Money better invested than trying a few modern ones or going for a replate. Just post a WTB in the various forums, FB and reddits

Get a prettier MMOC. I have a SE1 and prefer my Clog-Pruf so that's another option. Waiting for my MMOC to arrive. I wouldn't put money into trying to improve on the MMOC with a modern model. If you want to be creative, get a 1912 which is a very close contender and match it up with a nice Titanium handle. Depending on the handle, the 1912 is a pretty awesome razor.

At $15 a pop without trying too hard you can explore the entire range of GEM-Ever Ready razors for the cost of one of those new fangled heavyweight for no good reason modern SEs. Personally I'd say try the early Ever Ready and pre-war Schicks before investing large in an expensive modern razor.

At $15 a pop without trying too hard you can explore the entire range of GEM-Ever Ready razors for the cost of one of those new fangled heavyweight for no good reason modern SEs. Personally I'd say try the early Ever Ready and pre-war Schicks before investing large in an expensive modern razor.

+1. The SE1 is a fine razor, no doubt about it, but I prefer the PTFE blade and I much prefer the acoustic feedback. I like my razors LOUD. So it's 1912 and Micromatics. Modern razors are too heavily damped - they don't sing.

I have found no equal to my MMOC from amongst the 100 odd vintage and modern DE razors. The combination of design, angle of shave, blade rigidity and the insanely sharp Gem PTFE blade beat the rest of the micromatic family by a step or two and DEs by miles !

I saved a lot of money by not buying more expensive and sought after vintage Gillettes and spent the money on NOS and mint condition Micromatic family members, Gem & Ever ready razors and blades and I still haven't broken my bank !

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

The MM Clog Pruf is just a step behind the MMOC.

I have been to the mountain top and think that the Clog-Pruf is sitting right next to the MMOC on the table. :) Now whether it is prettier or not is a matter of taste, personally I think the Clog-Pruf is stunning, but that is my opinion and I might be wrong.

I think the lather catcher is also on the table so maybe I am way off. :)

If you want prettier get a '24 or '12 and substitute the handle of your choosing.
proxy.php

I have been to the mountain top and think that the Clog-Pruf is sitting right next to the MMOC on the table.

Both will get me a long lasting BBS, the MMOC will get me there with a few less strokes. The MMCP is slightly smoother, for lack of a better word.

Both are great. As far as I can tell, the MMCP has the comb closed half way, kind of scalloped. Closing the comb that way, they created the big slots. Dimensions of the baseplate are probably the same.

I believe these are commonly referred to as GEM Shovel Heads. Someone with more knowledge could tell you exactly.

I don’t hear too much about these, and I’m curious as to how they compare to a GEM Jr, Clog Pruf, and MMOC?

Shovelheads are good, but not my favorite. Because of their large cavernous interior they I find them overly loud and metallic sounding. For some reason the Shovelheads that are heavily nickel plated (made in England) seem to shave better than the brass ones.

I believe these are commonly referred to as GEM Shovel Heads. Someone with more knowledge could tell you exactly.

I don’t hear too much about these, and I’m curious as to how they compare to a GEM Jr, Clog Pruf, and MMOC?
The gem shovelhead or 1924 model are very efficient and use a different angle than the rest of the ASR family. Good shavers that can be had for pennies on the dollar. They seem more efficient than the Jr and similar to the clog pruf, perhaps a tad less than the mmoc. The angle really provides a different feel though.

As noted above they are very loud.

Top Bottom