What's new

Alternative to Yaqi Rainbow

I am totally pleased with my Yaqi Rainbow . I could use it daily and I have kept it always in my rotation. I like the backbone and how it splays. I got used to the handle also.

I am looking for another synthetic brush that could be a bit better. I want to try a Muhle knot but the price goes around 100 usd and I don't want to spend that much.

What other brush would you recommend friends?
00000IMG_00000_BURST20181125175838927_COVER-picsay.jpg

The 25mm Mühle STF has a MSRP of 69.00 Euros/74 USD and is an excellent brush. Not sure what it retails in the US and they do have a 23mm that is significantly cheaper.

How about the 24mm Green Ray from PAA to compliment your Rainbow Pony?

4E5E61A8-C9F4-4622-B082-C19D0052FB3B.jpeg

PAA Starcraft (24mm) or PAA Phantom Aerolite (26mm) if you want something larger. Both have the Roswell Grey (or similar) knot, my favorite synth knot of those I've tried. Cool handles on these, also.

The 24mm seems bigger than it appears in pictures. Even that is on the large side for me, but nice.

Less than $20, I think my Starcraft was $16 on sale.

1650631624725.png

Last edited:
How about the 24mm Green Ray from PAA to compliment your Rainbow Pony?
Hi. I just dropped in to check out what was already out there in brush threads that might apply to me. I want to order from Top of the Chain, as I have an order coming in. This is one of the brushes that is on my list. However...

I'm just starting a search through the threads to understand the pros/cons of synthetics and hybrids. I've used horsehair in the past (not interested), badger (have a silver tip, I like, but its getting a bit worn, boar (I've used in the past, I thought I might go with one before I saw how many synthetics are about), and synthetics and hybrids I know nothing about.

Have you yourself used the Green Ray? (I literally thought 'hybrid' meant a mix of synth and badger/boar, but when I went to double check the Green Ray, that it is the brush shape...learn a new things every day).

My silver tip is a LiJun and is bulb shaped. I'm not great at lathering technique, so I want a brush that is an easy one for lathering, not finicky/particular at all.

So, if you have an personal opinion on the Green Ray, or hybrids in general that would be really helpful. Thanks.

When they use the term hybrid in relation to PAA brushes they are referring to the shape of the knot fan/bulb.

I have a Green Ray brush it has little to no backbone (kinda floppy) so it is perfect for soft croaps or creams.

Hi. I just dropped in to check out what was already out there in brush threads that might apply to me. I want to order from Top of the Chain, as I have an order coming in. This is one of the brushes that is on my list. However...

I'm just starting a search through the threads to understand the pros/cons of synthetics and hybrids. I've used horsehair in the past (not interested), badger (have a silver tip, I like, but its getting a bit worn, boar (I've used in the past, I thought I might go with one before I saw how many synthetics are about), and synthetics and hybrids I know nothing about.

Have you yourself used the Green Ray? (I literally thought 'hybrid' meant a mix of synth and badger/boar, but when I went to double check the Green Ray, that it is the brush shape...learn a new things every day).

My silver tip is a LiJun and is bulb shaped. I'm not great at lathering technique, so I want a brush that is an easy one for lathering, not finicky/particular at all.

So, if you have an personal opinion on the Green Ray, or hybrids in general that would be really helpful. Thanks.
I do have a 26mm Phantom Aerolite that is actually a bit too big for my face so I currently use it to shave my head. Synthetics are pretty easy to use. Dunk into water (no need to keep them in there for more than a couple of seconds), light squeeze to get rid of excess water and then you are ready to go. 24mm is for me a happy medium that works for face or bowl lathering.

C797FF5A-7427-4F59-9109-939351DDC738.jpeg

The Starcraft brush has the same type of knot in 24mm size. The appearance is slightly different, but otherwise the knots use the same type of fiber.

The 24mm is a generous size.
Synth wise I have limited myself currently to a 25mm STF by Rudy and a 24mm Yaqi Bali Beehive. An Omega S-Brush and a 19mm STF standby for traveling. PAA brushes here are not as readily available and affordable as in the US.

EBBC577F-338B-48D6-BF5B-38599BBE1FA2.jpeg

683E0555-EE67-437E-A6FD-34421C49FE22.jpeg

Synth wise I have limited myself currently to a 25mm STF by Rudy and a 24mm Yaqi Bali Beehive. An Omega S-Brush and a 19mm STF standby for traveling. PAA brushes here are not as readily available and affordable as in the US.
I noticed from your pictures you have the Pereira shaving bowl and the Captain's Choice copper shaving bowl. I have the same ones! I will interpret that as a sign that I should get a Micromatic bullet tip razor next. I was wondering which GEM would be the best choice. Thanks.

:laugh:

I noticed from your pictures you have the Pereira shaving bowl and the Captain's Choice copper shaving bowl. I have the same ones! I will interpret that as a sign that I should get a Micromatic bullet tip razor next. I was wondering which GEM would be the best choice. Thanks.

:laugh:
I’m not very experienced with Gems but the Bullet Tip is a nice medium one. The Feather Weight would be a touch milder.

I’m not very experienced with Gems but the Bullet Tip is a nice medium one. The Feather Weight would be a touch milder.
I've been looking at the GEMs and the bullet tip seemed like a good choice. Either that or the Clog-Pruf. I don't think I want to go too aggressive to start with. I also like the design and looks of the bullet tip the most.

Top Bottom