What's new

Alternative to Vtg Super Speed

I’ve been wet shaving for about 10 years. The only razor I’ve ever used is a 1954 Super Speed TTO. It still works fine but thinking of getting a new razor just for a change. Any suggestions that may be an upgrade but not radically different?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
US Gillette Aristocrat or a UK Rocket HD500, just off the top of my head. Similar but just a little more heft.

Red Tip as suggested above, too. Is your '54 a flare tip or the older style? They made both that year.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If you want a vintage TTO that is well made, especially in terms of the mechanism, then I suggest an English made example. I believe the English Red Tip may have a slightly larger blade gap than the US version. Whether that is an upgrade is a matter of opinion 👍

Great suggestions! Also consider one of the Aristocrats! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would agree with this 100%! The '46-'47 Gillette Aristocrat is the earlier generation of Super Speed head on a more substantial handle with a nice, smooth TTO action. They look and shave great while not breaking the bank and would be a nice addition to a Super Speed without deviating too far.

Unfortunately, my experience with the vintage adjustables has been hit and miss. Not only do they command a premium but more than half of mine arrived with some sort of issue - most notably uneven blade gap. Now for most this might not matter much as long as they shave well, but I want my razors to be in perfect functioning form and will check the blade gap with feeler gauges along each side. Two of my three Slims and nearly every Super Adjustable coming in have been off. I saved my adjustable RAD for the last stage and would recommend that others do the same as these are difficult razors to acquire in perfect functioning condition. I would speculate that most people who own a vintage Gillette Adjustable either shave on or are unaware that the razors are out of true.

Thank you all for your responses. I'll start poking around for one. Interesting all of the responses were to stick with vintage. I expected some of this, but I don't think there was even one suggestion of a modern razor. Are the new ones just not as good?

There are many excellent high quality modern 3 piece razor choices, but it might be hard to say what is most similar to to a Superspeed. Kind of a Pandora's Box question if you open it up to suggestions outside of TTO.

I have a 1947 Superspeed, and to me it has more blade feel than my 1968 Slim. If the extra blade feel is something you are looking for in a high quality modern razor that is different from the standard EJ/Muhle/Merkur/Gillette KCG 3 piece, you might consider a Rex Envoy or Rex Ambassador. I recently acquired a used Ambassador, and it is head and shoulders above everything else I have.

Top Bottom