What's new

Alternative to Trumpers Skinfood?

This may have been asked before.....though im not asking what aftershave balm is best.

Basically, i use proraso, however i have some sample of skinfood and have been using this on top as a sealant. I really like it, but it is pricey.

Now, im happy with pricey if it works, but just wanted to check if there was anything out there that did the same for less.

Proraso is great and will never be replaced, but can be drying due to the witch hazel if used everyday, so i like having an extra or an alternative for inbetween days, so failing an alternative to skinfood, what other balm without witch hazel and excluding nivea would be good?

Skinfood is good stuff, but there is a lot of good stuff out there. For the best reasonably priced alternative, I suggest you go to Shavingessentials.com and get some Wesley and Scott aftershave balm. I love the lime scent, but there are a couple to choose from.

Mama Bear and Sue at Saint Charles Shave also sell wonderful aftershaves.

PS - I see you are in the UK. I have to say this then - Castle Forbes balm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIME!!!!! Ohhhhhhhhh MAN!

Castle Forbes stuff looks good....but......

I started out with synthetic brush, store brand personnas, a merkur 23c and nivea balm.

While good, every time i tried a slightly more upmarket product, i couldnt go backwards. Derby blades were next, then after using gillettes couldnt use them as it felt like shaving with a beer can.

Vintage gillettes, silvertips, proraso, taylors and salter creams later, it worries me that if i make this purchase...i will be trapped! :w00t:

I only like skinfood from the samples that were meant to quench my curiosity and i wouldnt then need to buy it!

I seem to recall a thread on B&B many moons ago about making your own skin food. There's not much to it, IIRC. That may be an option.

That said, on a per-use basis, given the tiny amount you use, it's really rather affordable. (Just in case you needed some justification. :wink:)

That said, on a per-use basis, given the tiny amount you use, it's really rather affordable. (Just in case you needed some justification. :wink:)

+1

Trumper's skin food lasts forever. In the end, it really is affordable. My small samples have each lasted over two months and still have a lot in them. If they last that long, I'm sure the retail bottles last well over a year.

+1

Trumper's skin food lasts forever. In the end, it really is affordable. My small samples have each lasted over two months and still have a lot in them. If they last that long, I'm sure the retail bottles last well over a year.
I've seen 200 ml bottles in the U.S. for $25. Perhaps you can get it even cheaper from it's native land. That would last a good while.

a 100ml bottle is £13, a 200ml bottle is £20 and a 500ml bottle is £33!!!!!

What size would you opt for? Dont want it to go bad, maybe the 200ml?

EDIT - What other place can you seek help in finding an alternative only to get gently swayed to buying the thing. Justified the purchase!

a 100ml bottle is £13, a 200ml bottle is £20 and a 500ml bottle is £33!!!!!

What size would you opt for? Dont want it to go bad, maybe the 200ml?

EDIT - What other place can you seek help in finding an alternative only to get gently swayed to buying the thing. Justified the purchase!

I'd get the 500 mL bottle. It's the cheapest per mL and it should last you for a long time.

Which scent do you prefer?

The lime one, sandalwood smells more like ginger beer, though it is quite nice. Coral is ok.

Thing is, i have TOBS Rose, Cyril Salter citrus, TOBS Almond, Proraso and Musgo chave creams.

What would go best? Guess there is a case for all 3! (I wont be buying all three though!)

I find I don't use much Skinfood at all after I shave. A little does go a long way. Sorry another reply that pushes you towards getting the product! :thumbup1: I like Coral though it is the only one I have tried.

- Aaron

I've only got the sampler from GFT, 8mL. Going to get the 100mL size once it is done. I think after a 100mL I'll be ready to get something new. Another benefit of Skinfood is that you can use it as a preshave prep, I dont but if you were going to do this then maybe the 200mL size would be good. This small 8mL size will last me a while though, I find two little dabs has me covered, it's very slick thats probably why. Another option could be to get another sampler from GFT to double check if you really rate the product. :lol:

Btw. Saw the Chelsea game and heard about the Arsenal one, that Liverpool defence is leaking goals atm. Not a Liverpool man myself so was hoping the Gunners took those points from you. :devil: (That smiley has a double meaning :001_smile)

- Aaron

Try Nivea extrem comfort balm, Iv never used skinfood but the review here said it was 'poor mans skinfood' check the reviews.

I seem to recall a thread on B&B many moons ago about making your own skin food. There's not much to it, IIRC. That may be an option.

+1

Try SCS Nutriments. It's very similar to skin food.

+1. You cannot go wrong with products from Saint Sue.

marty

Top Bottom