What's new

Alternative to the R41

Fellow gentleman,

I'm in search of my next blade (ain't we all? :D)... With that said, althought I love my R41, I would like to have something that has the same efficiency but does not require such attention and is a bit easier to drive.

Any suggestions? I was looking for something below $100, but open for suggestions that are more expensive if they are worth the price

Thanks a lot!

Fellow gentleman,

I'm in search of my next blade (ain't we all? :D)... With that said, althought I love my R41, I would like to have something that has the same efficiency but does not require such attention and is a bit easier to drive.

Any suggestions? I was looking for something below $100, but open for suggestions that are more expensive if they are worth the price

Thanks a lot!

Karve Plate G
ATT H1
Blackland Blackbird
Alpha Shaving Outlaw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find the Parker model 97R to be very efficient and yet smooth. It does not cost a lot, only $28.80 on Amazon.com. Also with the same head but different handle is the Parker 94R. Great razors, aggressive but smooth. Here is a picture of the 97R.

Parker_Cella.JPG

First question I have is, if you like the R41, what about using a smoother blade? In the R41 Clone, a Pol-Silver is quite a bit smoother than many other blades on my face. That puppy needs smooth, yet sharp blade, with it's aggressiveness. Using a different blade, might smooth it out a bit, although they're still aggressive.

On the lower end of the price scale, there's Global Shave club's R41+ Tribute razor. From reviews I've seen, it's easier on the face, not as edgy, and believe it or not more efficient. Almost too good to be true, although Ken Surfs used one, and did feel it was smoother and possible a hair closer shaving than the R41. (Pretty sure Paul H also did a video on the R41+ Tribute as well, but it's been a while).

The Fatip & Pearl OC razors are darn close in efficiency, but a lot easier to wield on a daily basis, especially the Fatip (or Schone version of the Fatip). My only gripe with both are the blade alignment can sometimes be a pain in the butt, requiring some nudging to get even exposure. - Some blades seem to fit better/tighter than others. The Fatip/Schone are plated brass as well, and not zinc alloy, yet fairly inexpensive.

Timeless has a few that would give the R41 a run for the money, although couple notches up in the pricing.

I only have the R41 clone to compare, but my Rex Ambassador set on around 4 clears off the whiskers, even after multiple days, nearly as well as the R41 clone, and does so with less blade feel, and more comfort. Again fairly pricy, but yield a great shave. - If I hadn't won the Rex, I'd probably not own one, but man great shaver, and can open up way beyond where I use it on a daily basis. (For comparison, I use a Gillette Adjustable on 8/9, and the Rex still shaves closer on around a 2-2.5).

If you're willing to venture into the SE territory, you can't beat the shave from a Schick Adjustable, especially with a Schick Twin loaded, or a GEM Micromatic. The latter can be had on most days for under $10, and blades are dirt cheap.

Lupo .95 is similar in efficiency but MUCH smoother. If you do not mind lighter weight razors, I have been having great experience with two aluminum razors, Above The Tie SB90 and the Timeless aluminum. Super smooth and high efficiency.

A very inexpensive way to go is to get the Pearl OC baseplate and use it with your R41 cap and handle. The baseplate is available from a friendly Ebay shave vendor for about $8 including shipping. You will experience something very close to a Fatip OC at very low cost and reuse your existing razor components.

Speaking of Fatip, I'd suggest either the Schone open comb razor, the Fatip Originale (OC) or the Fatip OC Slant as a smooth alternative to the R41.

Maybe a Gamechanger 84 Jaws. It's very direct too.

I tried the r41 china clone and you cannot compare. The r41 ids far better to handle.

But to be honest the Pearl Shaving Flexi gives me basically ths same closeness as the 41 and is much smoother

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

The Karve G plate will probably suit you nicely and it is in your price range, depending on which material you choose. I prefer razors with a lot of blade feel and efficiency. I shave with R41s often, especially the 2011 version. If I decide I am in the mood for something a little milder, the brass Karve CB G plate is one I reach for.

Top Bottom