What's new

Alternative to the Futur?

Evening gents,

I recently borrowed a Futur from a coworker and liked it more than I thought. I usually prefer milder razors like the GC .68 or the Fatboy on 4 to 6. However I really liked the ability to carefully take everything off in one pass. I have some reservations about some of the features on the Futur such as the blade retention and bulkiness of the head. I also prefer SS construction.

Do you all have any recommendations for an alternative?

Cheers

Well, Razorock is about the best, most economical choice, and the .84 Gamechanger is very, very good (my personal preference is for the OC/Jaws, but the SB is very efficient with less blade feel.)

Karve SS with a D plate will probably get you there.

IKon's B1 Standard or Tek are both highly efficient.

The Rex, as noted. I just hate to make a $200+ dollar selection the first recommendation.

The Pearl Flexi is brass, and delivers basically the same shave as the Rex, but the handling and feel are very different.

Then there's the herd in the $300+ range...

Well, Razorock is about the best, most economical choice, and the .84 Gamechanger is very, very good (my personal preference is for the OC/Jaws, but the SB is very efficient with less blade feel.)

Karve SS with a D plate will probably get you there.

IKon's B1 Standard or Tek are both highly efficient.

The Rex, as noted. I just hate to make a $200+ dollar selection the first recommendation.

The Pearl Flexi is brass, and delivers basically the same shave as the Rex, but the handling and feel are very different.

Then there's the herd in the $300+ range...

+1! Great list! It comes down to budget and how much small differences in craftsmanship matter to you.
:clap: :clap:

A nice Gillette slim or fatboy, for newer tools I can highly recommend the Rockwell 6S/6C or the karve christopher bradley

For a similar feel to the Futur my tip would be to go for a Merkur Progress. Although it's not SS it's solid as a brick.

If you want efficiency without adjustability then the new Muhle R41 GS (Grande Steel) is a winner.

The Blackland Dart is another option. Bags of blade feel, super efficient but it might take you a few shaves to dial in your technique.

There are a ton of more affordable Futur clones out there. I actually prefer the clones to the real deal, finding my Futur far too aggressive for regular shaving.

Welcome to B&B, Sir incensedShaver!

How about the Futur's sibling, Vision? It's also pretty aggressive.

merkur-vision-proraso-blue-dovo-skye-gif-september-12-2014.gif

Evening gents,

I recently borrowed a Futur from a coworker and liked it more than I thought. I usually prefer milder razors like the GC .68 or the Fatboy on 4 to 6. However I really liked the ability to carefully take everything off in one pass. I have some reservations about some of the features on the Futur such as the blade retention and bulkiness of the head. I also prefer SS construction.

Do you all have any recommendations for an alternative?

Cheers
First, there is no such thing as a "perfect" safety razor for everyone, so stop looking for something that doesn't exist. However, the Merkur Futur definitely is an "above average" razor for most shavers, all things considered. By background, I have 40 safety razors and I've shaved daily since my 15th birthday in 1951.

On the negative, loading and unloading a blade can be a little dicey. The handle might be judged slightly slippery, though I've never dropped mine. The calibration range is set too high. I have tough old whiskers, and a setting of only 1.5 (or 2 at most) is about right. I can't imagine shaving at one of the higher settings, unless one has a "macho" thing going, and one wants to prove his manhood to someone. Remember, the perfect setting on any adjustable razor focusses on closeness and on comfort, the two "C's."

On the positive, it feels solid and efficient during usage. It's well designed and is well built. It's a very efficient shaver. I have one in regular use, and I would never part with it. I've had no problem with shaving under the nose with it. It's not stainless steel, but it's heavy and and its weight feels like a stainless steel razor, so just pretend.

The Merkur Futur has been around since 1983.

Last edited:
Rex Ambassador. I got mine last year during one of Razor Emporium's periodic 20% off sales and I have never had a bad shave with it.

Top Bottom