What's new

Alternate to Merkur 34c

Great suggestions in this thread! :clap: :clap:

I suggest you decide on vintage or modern, then go from there! So many options, so little time!

If you don't shave often, there sure is a lot of beard to shave when you do.

Then I recommend the merkur 15c OC.

It's an OC that will shave you much closer than the 34c but less aggressive than a Muhle r41.

If you want to try other brands, you can see the Blackbird closed comb.

Or the Muhle r89 a level over 34c, until you reach the summit:
Muhle R41 oc.

This machine with the Feather blade, perhaps one pass will suffice.

Cheers

Hi,

I moved to DE razors a few years back and do really enjoy them a lot more. Lesser (to no) ingrown hairs and rashes than what I used to get with the cartridge razors I used previous to that. My first (and only) DE razor is the Merkur 34C. I use it with the Feather Blades and it gives me a fairly decent shave.

However, I am looking for a razor that can offer slightly closer shaves. I am someone who, at most, will shave twice a week. Normally it is once a week and sometimes I don't shave for 2 weeks or so. This is more to do with me not wanting to shave than the stubble itself. With the current shave I get from the Merkur 34c, I feel like my hair grows too quick and I probably need to shave every day.

Any suggestions on razors (and maybe even blades) that could be worth a try? I am hoping to spend under $100 but can do more if I need to. If any of you feel like SE razors maybe a better option, I would be ok going that route as well.

Thanks.

It's an OC that will shave you much closer than the 34c but less aggressive than a Muhle r41.

If you want to try other brands, you can see the Blackbird comb closed.

Muhle R41 oc.

Cheers

If you want to try other brands, you can see the Blackbird comb closed.

Muhle R41 oc.

Cheers
Thanks.

The Blackbird did catch my eyes a few days back. Is closed comb the same as safety bar? I only see an open comb and safety bar option on their site.

I went the SE route and bought the ATT SE1 last week and it has been amazing in terms of a good shave. Enough so that I ordered the SE2 plate already to see how much more aggressive that is.

At the same time though I wanted to add to my Merkur 34C DE so just ordered the Rockwell 6S today. I don’t shave daily but the next 3-4 weeks are going to be interesting. Will try to shave evey 2nd day or so to get a better feel of the razors.

Top Bottom