What's new

Alternate to Merkur 34c

Hi,

I moved to DE razors a few years back and do really enjoy them a lot more. Lesser (to no) ingrown hairs and rashes than what I used to get with the cartridge razors I used previous to that. My first (and only) DE razor is the Merkur 34C. I use it with the Feather Blades and it gives me a fairly decent shave.

However, I am looking for a razor that can offer slightly closer shaves. I am someone who, at most, will shave twice a week. Normally it is once a week and sometimes I don't shave for 2 weeks or so. This is more to do with me not wanting to shave than the stubble itself. With the current shave I get from the Merkur 34c, I feel like my hair grows too quick and I probably need to shave every day.

Any suggestions on razors (and maybe even blades) that could be worth a try? I am hoping to spend under $100 but can do more if I need to. If any of you feel like SE razors maybe a better option, I would be ok going that route as well.

Thanks.

Try a Rockwell 6S or 6C. The 6 level system allows you to find the closeness you want. There are other razors out there that are "adjustable" that get you there too.

If you are going a week or more between shaves, stick with Merkur and get a slant.
I am right now and not sure if i will change or not either. Though honestly, if I am going to get a different razor I would like to try a different brand. Just to mix things up a little .. :)
Try a Rockwell 6S or 6C. The 6 level system allows you to find the closeness you want. There are other razors out there that are "adjustable" that get you there too.

Those look pretty sharp actually. If I go the Rockwell route may bite the bullet and go with the 6S in Matte Black.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Why not consider a vintage Gillette Slim Adjustable? You would get a nice example for your budget and the adjustment is done simply by rotating the dial rather than changing plates. A far superior razor to the Fatboy in my opinion. Plus, James Bond used one in Goldfinger - enough said. Good luck. 👍

Why not consider a vintage Gillette Slim Adjustable? You would get a nice example for your budget and the adjustment is done simply by rotating the dial rather than changing plates. A far superior razor to the Fatboy in my opinion. Plus, James Bond used one in Goldfinger - enough said. Good luck. 👍
Amazing how razors can be YMMV. I have a slim and a fatboy and i get much better shaves out of the fatboy. Go figure. :D

Either of these would work well for your situation. They resist clogging up. Each around $20.

German 37 with HD handle from Razorock (3-piece slant)
g37hd.jpg
Fatip Grande Mk2 (3-piece open comb). All brass.
f-grande.jpg

Last edited:
I don't usually shave my face but I do shave my neck and head - for me, if I go more than 3 days the hair can start to clog a razor up. The Rockwell 6c was the worst in this regard - it did not clear out very well and I didn't have it very long. I've recently discovered the greatness of the Techs and although its been a while since I've had a 34c but the Tech is very smooth and nice and probably compares favorably to the 34c.

Attachments

• 20200404_205258.jpg
    20200404_205258.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Also, the 34c is a great shaver as-is so maybe try a sample pack of blades to see if that makes a difference before buying a new razor.

Also, the 34c is a great shaver as-is so maybe try a sample pack of blades to see if that makes a difference before buying a new razor.

Heh. To be honest, I was looking to get a new razor mainly to reward myself for getting a new job. Just something I wanted to spend money on as well as get some utility out of at the same time .. :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
My first (and only) DE razor is the Merkur 34C. I use it with the Feather Blades and it gives me a fairly decent shave.

However, I am looking for a razor that can offer slightly closer shaves.

I've lately been playing with some razors that, for me, would be in the "every three days" category instead of "three times a week." I put the 34C/38C squarely in the "three times a week" camp.

I would also add, again for me, that with Feather blades and a 34 or 38 I'd be shaving every day. And still cursing the stubble. Or binning each blade after two shaves, I suppose...

I'd say it's cheaper to try different blades. I hit Astra SP, love them, and haven't looked at much else since.

But, because I'm doing a little tour through a series of slant razors (as written up on the Brotherhood of Slant Shavers thread in Clubs and Brotherhoods), most of my "every three days" razors are slants. I can understand that you'd want to try something other than a Merkur, but I can honestly say the Merkur 37 is a very smooth razor and shaves good and close. I'd encourage you to go read "The Tilted Picnic" series, which is still ongoing.

Aside from razors noted there, I've had good luck with the ATT Windsor SE1. I've also had some good luck with vintage razors -- my Merkur 37 is two razor-generations old, and I have an Ever-Ready 1914 Little Lather Catcher that I think gives me the best Gemish shaves of any of my new or old Gem-style razors.

O.H.

Heh. To be honest, I was looking to get a new razor mainly to reward myself for getting a new job. Just something I wanted to spend money on as well as get some utility out of at the same time .. :)
Congratulations. I was going to write some boring post about sticking with the 34C, you can get great shaves without switching, blah, blah. But so long as you realize this is something to have fun with, as you clearly do, go on and try something new (be extra careful not to shred your face when you change any part of your routine, of course). Vintage razors are a fascinating and fun part of history, and many aren't too expensive. There is a vintage model called the Gillette Tech which not only is very good, but inexpensive (except maybe for a few rare variants), and there are modern clones with nearly the same design, also good, and also in most cases inexpensive. If you are looking to spend real $$$, a new razor might be a better idea, as you have to be pretty savvy not to get overcharged with high end vintage razors, as with any antique collectible.

Given your shaving habbits, you probably want Open Comb.

You also want a closer shave than your Merkur.

If you have Coarse hair, consider an Open Comb or Jaws Game Changer .84 from Italian Barber. Maybe also a Fatip/Schone as noted above.

If you don't have coarse hair, look at an iKon Open Comb Deluxe.

Given your shaving habbits, you probably want Open Comb.

You also want a closer shave than your Merkur.

If you have Coarse hair, consider an Open Comb or Jaws Game Changer .84 from Italian Barber. Maybe also a Fatip/Schone as noted above.

If you don't have coarse hair, look at an iKon Open Comb Deluxe.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah, I most definitely have coarse hair. I will look at some of the razors mentioned.

I've lately been playing with some razors that, for me, would be in the "every three days" category instead of "three times a week." I put the 34C/38C squarely in the "three times a week" camp.

I would also add, again for me, that with Feather blades and a 34 or 38 I'd be shaving every day. And still cursing the stubble. Or binning each blade after two shaves, I suppose...

I'd say it's cheaper to try different blades. I hit Astra SP, love them, and haven't looked at much else since.

But, because I'm doing a little tour through a series of slant razors (as written up on the Brotherhood of Slant Shavers thread in Clubs and Brotherhoods), most of my "every three days" razors are slants. I can understand that you'd want to try something other than a Merkur, but I can honestly say the Merkur 37 is a very smooth razor and shaves good and close. I'd encourage you to go read "The Tilted Picnic" series, which is still ongoing.

Aside from razors noted there, I've had good luck with the ATT Windsor SE1. I've also had some good luck with vintage razors -- my Merkur 37 is two razor-generations old, and I have an Ever-Ready 1914 Little Lather Catcher that I think gives me the best Gemish shaves of any of my new or old Gem-style razors.

O.H.

Thanks for all the input. I was reading other posts on the board and am actually starting to open my mind towards going the SE route as well. Seems like a combination of coarse hair and my shaving habits could make SE razors a good fit. Infact I was looking at the ATT SE1 a little while back and I understand that combined with the Schick Proline AC it is a great combo.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
In fact I was looking at the ATT SE1 a little while back and I understand that combined with the Schick Proline AC it is a great combo.

I had an SE1 for a while, and still have an SE2. I found that the SE2 in particular, but also the SE1, was too much razor for me with the Proline. So I traded off the SE1 for an S2, which turned out to be one of the best things I ever did.

I revisited the AC format a few times, but aside from steep-angle shaving I couldn't get comfortable with it. Too much edge, too many cuts. Steep-angle with the SE2 is amazing because it works, but I found the angle also dulled the edge a lot faster. I typically get five to six shaves out of either an Astra SP or a Gem Personna PTFE blade. I typically get ten or more shaves out of an AC -- but I was getting four good shaves going steep angle. Considering that AC blades are the most expensive blades I buy, it wasn't looking economical. I was ready to PIF the SE2. Then two things happened.

First, I did some reading and started thinking about guarded blades. Then I hit a good deal on a Windsor SE1 from a member here, and picked that up to try. The difference between the SE1 and the Windsor SE1 is that the top cap is 1mm wider, I'm told. (One of these days I'll think of that at the same moment I have time to dig out the SE2 and the Windsor and measure their top caps...)

The upshot is that the wider top cap clamps the blade just a bit better. I was having troubles ATG with the blade chattering. With guarded blade, I'm liking the Windsor SE1 a LOT. Still early days, though. I got that setup just as I was starting the Tilted Picnic series. Still two razors to go on that one: the RazoRock Wunderbar and the ATT S2.

I have to say the S2 is probably my favourite DE ever, though I'm willing to be surprised by the Wunderbar. I'll be starting that one on Monday morning, for a two-week run.

O.H.

Hi,

I moved to DE razors a few years back and do really enjoy them a lot more. Lesser (to no) ingrown hairs and rashes than what I used to get with the cartridge razors I used previous to that. My first (and only) DE razor is the Merkur 34C. I use it with the Feather Blades and it gives me a fairly decent shave.

However, I am looking for a razor that can offer slightly closer shaves. I am someone who, at most, will shave twice a week. Normally it is once a week and sometimes I don't shave for 2 weeks or so. This is more to do with me not wanting to shave than the stubble itself. With the current shave I get from the Merkur 34c, I feel like my hair grows too quick and I probably need to shave every day.

Any suggestions on razors (and maybe even blades) that could be worth a try? I am hoping to spend under $100 but can do more if I need to. If any of you feel like SE razors maybe a better option, I would be ok going that route as well.

Thanks.
I recently purchased GC.68OC, Fatip Gold Grande, and Yaqi Chrome Mellon. I’m not going to say I should have tried open combs sooner. I’ve enjoyed the razors I’ve tried. I will say that these three open comb razors are going to be my rotation for the foreseeable future. I’ve reviewed first shaves on the GC.068 & Gold Grande. Game Changer 068 Open Comb - Http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/reviews/game-changer-068-open-comb.211716/

Attachments

• 45CCEB6C-8615-4B36-90CD-EFD315750170.jpeg
    45CCEB6C-8615-4B36-90CD-EFD315750170.jpeg
    926.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 68A1E685-86B5-4A89-8F37-CC361376DFB7.jpeg
    68A1E685-86B5-4A89-8F37-CC361376DFB7.jpeg
    819.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 5459204C-11B5-4135-9BBE-D84CE61F2AE1.jpeg
    5459204C-11B5-4135-9BBE-D84CE61F2AE1.jpeg
    730.3 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom