What's new

Altering the Fatboy during a shave anyone?

Does anyone change their settings, ie alter the number setting, on the Fatboy or do you continue shaving with the setting you started with on each pass?

I had a bit experiment, as you do, and found that starting on a high setting (a 7 for me) and slowly reducing the number down on each pass (7,6,5,4) gave cracking results. I do 4 passes and starting at a 7, I slowly "wheel-down" to a 4 for the final. It's worth a go! It seems to make sense to me that you don't need to be finishing off on a 7 when there is little to take off!!:rolleyes: - It just brings on a burn!

7 may sound a little high but it works for me, and I appreciate everyones beard is different! Who knows, I may go crazy and try an 8 or 9!!:biggrin1:

Anyone?

I'm still experimenting with the Fatboy and so far I'm finding that I get good results using various settings. My beard is not heavy nor is it extremely coarse so a setting of 3 or 4 seems to do a good job on the first WTG pass. I can leave it alone on the second pass XTG or I may dial it down to 2. If I am doing any touch up I dial all the way down to 1.

I dial up with my slim. If the hair is getting shorter then I need more exposure to get to it. At 1 the blade just passes right over the stubble and doesn't cut anything. When you start at a low number and work up you hear the cutting noise through all numbers. When you go from higher to lower you don't hear the cutting noise because the higher number already cut below what the lower can reach.

I dial up with my slim. If the hair is getting shorter then I need more exposure to get to it. At 1 the blade just passes right over the stubble and doesn't cut anything. When you start at a low number and work up you hear the cutting noise through all numbers. When you go from higher to lower you don't hear the cutting noise because the higher number already cut below what the lower can reach.

+1 on the above. I dial up all my adjustables for the final pass and buffing.

jim

Wow! There seems to be 3 ways to use the Fatboy, and each method works for different people!

Dial it up?
Dial it down?
or Set it and forget it?

I think I'll get the Fatboy out and experiment! This is fun! :w00t:

Norm :boat:

I also start at a low setting and finish at a higher setting. Its works well for me delivering a very nice shave. My hat's off to the folks at Gillette for providing such a wonderful devise...

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
When I used a Fat Boy I always dialed it UP toward the end of the shave for touch up. Now sadly I no longer own one...( but almost did a Buy It Now on the Bay last night for one until I changed my mind).

I used to climb all over my fatboy during the shave. Different setting for each pass (I usually climbed up), and different settings for each day on the blade. Typical settings over life of blade were (2,3,4) (3,4,4) (3,4,4) (4,5,5) then toss blade and start over. If I pushed for a 5th day that day's settings were usually something like (5,7,9). I've since switched to a straight so I don't use the fatboy anymore except occasionally touching up a patch I missed.

I used to climb all over my fatboy during the shave. Different setting for each pass (I usually climbed up), and different settings for each day on the blade. Typical settings over life of blade were (2,3,4) (3,4,4) (3,4,4) (4,5,5) then toss blade and start over. If I pushed for a 5th day that day's settings were usually something like (5,7,9). I've since switched to a straight so I don't use the fatboy anymore except occasionally touching up a patch I missed.
For me, I do both...up then down:
WTG..4
XTG...5
ATG...3
Seems to work.

I would have to say that I'm a 'downer' when it comes to the Fatboy:

9-7-5 regardless of blade-but I only use Derbys or IPs in my Gillettes.

Marty

With my adjustables I just set them and leave them through all passes. My gillette slim stays on a 3 and my Mer-gress stays at about 2.

I do 3/5/7. Except, on the final pass, when I want a super close shave around the corners of my mouth, I dial it up to 2 because I am prone to razor burn around there if I'm not careful. But usually just the three settings do it for me, especially with a sharper blade.

Guys, this is indeed interesting..

It seems that quite a few of you dial UP during each pass which I at first found odd, but what do I know? So I tried it. WOW!! What a difference - I stand corrected!:blush: This is good, really good!

I tried both a 3-5-6-7, and a 3-4-5-6 combo and it was great - today I went for a 5-6-7-8 and it was the smoothest I've ever had, even the touch up at 8 was easy.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, I've learned a heck of a lot in the last week! You know something, it's great to experiment!!:biggrin1:

Top Bottom