What's new

Altering Blade Gap

I have a couple of double edged razors that, while great-looking products, are so "mild-shaving" they are dangerous for me -- e.g. I find myself applying more pressure in order to get a closer shave, and that has it's usual effects and limitations. The problem, of course, is insufficient blade gap. I have taken the expedient of modifying used blades by cutting off the sharp edges -- approximately 1/8" on each edge of the blade. This results in a "spacer" a little over a half inch wide that can be placed under the blade to raise it up further from the platen of the razor head. These spacers, being approximately 0.004" thick, give me a fairly fine incremental adjustability. I have been and am still collecting and cutting blades (a sharp-edged scissors does the job nicely, with no apparent damage to the scissors) as I consume them in order to have enough to make a significant change in gap. I have 5 now and will report on how this alters the aggressiveness of my extremely non-aggressive Merkur 41C open-combed "1904 Classic". I love the way this razor, and some other low-aggression razors I have, look, but if this tactic does not do the job, I'll have to give up on these razors. Have any of you out there tried this? Thanks in advance for any results you can share.

Cheers!
Tony

I have a couple of double edged razors that, while great-looking products, are so "mild-shaving" they are dangerous for me -- e.g. I find myself applying more pressure in order to get a closer shave, and that has it's usual effects and limitations. The problem, of course, is insufficient blade gap. I have taken the expedient of modifying used blades by cutting off the sharp edges -- approximately 1/8" on each edge of the blade. This results in a "spacer" a little over a half inch wide that can be placed under the blade to raise it up further from the platen of the razor head. These spacers, being approximately 0.004" thick, give me a fairly fine incremental adjustability. I have been and am still collecting and cutting blades (a sharp-edged scissors does the job nicely, with no apparent damage to the scissors) as I consume them in order to have enough to make a significant change in gap. I have 5 now and will report on how this alters the aggressiveness of my extremely non-aggressive Merkur 41C open-combed "1904 Classic". I love the way this razor, and some other low-aggression razors I have, look, but if this tactic does not do the job, I'll have to give up on these razors. Have any of you out there tried this? Thanks in advance for any results you can share.

Cheers!
Tony
Hello Tony, yes these sound like shims, that seems to be the most used name.

I made one only, quite early on. I think I put it in a Tech. It seemed to have an effect, although now I tend to try to maximise the gap that any razor offers, through angle, blade choice.

You describe exactly how I made mine. BTW they can also be used to lessen a blade gap, by placing the shim on TOP of the blade. This just works in reverse.

I have 5 now and will report on how this alters the aggressiveness of my extremely non-aggressive Merkur 41C open-combed "1904 Classic". I love the way this razor, and some other low-aggression razors I have, look, but if this tactic does not do the job, I'll have to give up on these razors.
Five shims will make a very significant difference to how a razor shaves.

5 shims! Wow. I made a plastic shim from a piece of sheet acetate and it tuned up my Yuma. But 5 seems like a lot.

Shims go back quite far in history, to the early 1900s, at least. They were made is a range of different thicknesses.

Although you are increasing gap, you are changing the razor's geometry in other ways, too. You will have more blade exposure. This will usually make the effective shaving angle wider, also.

Yes indeed, 5 "trimmed razor blade" shims did in fact make quite a difference -- just about right for me -- aggressive but not overly so, and very manageable. We're talking about the very non-aggressive Merkur 41C "Classic 1904", a razor which, in standard form, is almost as useless as it is good looking. It was transformed by those 5 shims (about .020", or .5mm total shim stack height), and I got a close shave -- with no cuts and scapes, either. It is still less aggressive for me than the Fatip Grande. I might back it down one shim and see if it still works OK -- 5 does seem like a lot, but what works, well . . . works. I wouldn't want more aggressiveness than it has with 5 shims, which feels like all I can handle comfortably. That being said, however, I have experienced many, many shaves with my Fatip Grande and fared well . . . with much care exercised, of course.

Now to try those same shims on the Fatip Gentile, another razor of disappointing non-aggressiveness. I had purchased the Gentile hoping it would be something just a bit less aggressive than the Fatip Grande. Instead, in standard config, it is almost as uselessly non-aggressive as the Merkur 41C. My Merkur 38C is also quite far over on the non-aggressive side, but I don't think it will require more than a couple of these trimmed razor blade type shims to tune it up to my preferences.

Cheers!
Tony

I've used shims as well in my more mild razors, but keep in mind that I have coarse hair.
Gillette Tech and SuperSpeed, Merkur HD-34C, Mühle R89, etc. all get one or two shims between the blade and base plate. The number of shims depends on what blade I'm using.

I make my own shims. When I have a few used blades (or just didn't like the new blades I tried because they're Van der Hagen) I trim the edges off with a pair of EMT shears. Then I use red fingernail polish to paint both sides of the shim. This lets me identify it as NOT a blade with just a glance.

I agree; the R41 is very aggressive, and might be what you're after. Have you thought about trying an adjustable razor, like the Merkur Progress or a Fatboy?

I'm fairly new at using DE razors (only about a year), but I have come to the conclusion (so far) that the term "aggressive" means something like "gives the shaver a lot of access to the blade" and that razors in this category exhibit a property usually called "blade feel." I lean towards razors in this category because I can feel exactly what they're doing. "Aggressive" razors also tend to be more efficient for me because I can get more done with less effort, which (paradoxically to some) means less likelihood of irritation. I was intimidated to try the R41 because of its "aggressive" reputation, but I am very glad I did. I like it so much I eventually got the stainless steel version. Now it is one of my favorites.

Tell you what . . . My Fatip Gentile needs a lot of 0.004" (edge-trimmed razor blade) shims, more even than the Merkur 41C! 4 shims (total .016") just hasn't done the job like that amount has on the Merkur 41C. That surprised me. I'm not going overboard with aggressiveness here, either; I'm simply trying to match that of the Indian/Pakistani heads of my Pearl/Cadet closed comb razors.

Monsieur Blaireau -- Yes, I have tried the adjustables out there, and do have a Gilette Slim adjustable. I find they are a head-heavy joke. And I'm a big fan of old Gillette razors! I marvel at the precision with which they are made -- no kidding, they generally have better blade location than any of the new stuff. And think -- they basically gave away the Tech and the New just to sell razor blades -- one of the first uses of that very intelligent marketing ploy. And as cheap and stamped out as they were (Tech), they are still as precise as any safety razor out there. Though time and much usage has worn it in most cases, the nickel plating on old Gillettes was also quite well done -- find an oldie that has been lightly used and see. However, the Gillette adjustables are quite non-aggressive, even in their most aggressive settings, and the adjustment mechanism renders them head heavy. That, in combination with the relatively short handle produces an assembly of poor balance. So . . . poor balance, clumsy, thick head and short on aggressiveness equals no fun and a poor shave -- for me; YMMV of course. The design of that big fat Merkur adjustable has gone down the same path and achieved the same result.

Top Bottom