What's new

Already have Asylum Rx. Do I "Need" ATT SE2? And if So, Why?

I have used the Asylum Rx once so far with a Feather Pro Guard. The shave wasn't the best, but I have absolutely no doubt that I will have to spend more time with this razor to dial it in. No cuts, irritation, weepers, or irritation. Just an odd sort of shave.

I think I'm just going to cut to the chase and load it with a Feather Professional. I remember getting one of the best shaves ever using the 2011 Mühle R41 for the first time.

I will be grateful for any and all advice/comments.

You might not need ATT SE2, you'll definitely need the aluminum SE1 :)
.... just 'cuz you don't have the alumGoose, even if you do you know you need the ATT

I have used the Asylum Rx once so far with a Feather Pro Guard. The shave wasn't the best, but I have absolutely no doubt that I will have to spend more time with this razor to dial it in. No cuts, irritation, weepers, or irritation. Just an odd sort of shave.

I think I'm just going to cut to the chase and load it with a Feather Professional. I remember getting one of the best shaves ever using the 2011 Mühle R41 for the first time.

I will be grateful for any and all advice/comments.
No one "needs" another razor after only one shave with the RX. The RX was not really designed for the Pro Guard blades. The head design is different and doesn't efficiently use the blade. Go with a Feather Pro or Kai Milds. That was what the RX was designed to use and most folks that used either blade got excellent shaves from it. I would also suggest getting to know the RX a little better because it shaves differently from the other razors. It may look like an injector razor because of the small head, but it is a completely different animal which does take some time to figure out. Once done, you would not "need" or even want another razor.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Stay with that razor for a while and get to know it before deciding on another.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Treat the RX like a a Straight that has a vertical handle. Long smooth strokes with no pressure. Never go over the same spot twice without applying lather. Practice skin stretching. You'll get excellent shaves.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Since it didn't rock your world on the first use, trash it and get a different razor; that will fix everything.
Of course, I'm being facetious, it's just in my nature.

Stick with the razor for a few dozen shaves at least. Nothing wrong with trying different blades. I'm using a Feather Pro Super in my ATT SE2 and like it very much. An occasional, very minor deeper at worst. Excellent, smooth as silk shave.

BUT, if you just have to have another razor, go for it. It won't kill you.

I am curious how the two compare. I only have the money to buy one!
Get to know the razor. As others have stated above, I recommend using either of the Kai blades, the Captain or Titan Mild Pink. Once you get comfortable, smooth shaves then try a Feather Pro. The Rx is like no other, but it will take a couple of shaves to dial it in. Once you do, there is nothing else quite like it. Sure, you can purchase any other razor, it's your choice. We also like to enable. But in all honesty, if you acquire another it's only because you wanted to have it. Not because you needed it. Trust me, once you get the Rx right, Game Over. Period.

My RX is one of my favorite razors. In my Quixotic world, however, I had to have an ATT SE2, which I acquired yesterday and will use for the first time tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes...

I have RX for quite a while ( got a second batch ) and it's indeed one of the best ( if not the best ) razor I have ( among mongoose, colonial general, hawk , El Jefe, and ATT SE open and closed combs ). I am wondering why do you claim 'it shaves differently' and why it's 'completely different animal' ? Sure, you need to play with the angle and apply little pressure , but it's correct for any other SE razor. On a different subject: Regarding the pressure and 'let razor weight to do a job', I think this mantra is plain wrong. If you use down-up and horizontal strokes, one must apply pressure, since for this strokes weight of razor can't do any job

Also, number of people claims they can use Pro Super with RX. May be they have later batches. I checked with magnifying glass, while it's "possible" to put Pro Super, It doesn't fully sit behind tabs due to slightly larger width and from the specs on the website RX hasn't been designed for Pro Super.

No one "needs" another razor after only one shave with the RX. The RX was not really designed for the Pro Guard blades. The head design is different and doesn't efficiently use the blade. Go with a Feather Pro or Kai Milds. That was what the RX was designed to use and most folks that used either blade got excellent shaves from it. I would also suggest getting to know the RX a little better because it shaves differently from the other razors. It may look like an injector razor because of the small head, but it is a completely different animal which does take some time to figure out. Once done, you would not "need" or even want another razor.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
@pbrmhl man am I glad to have you along for the ride!! You are my guinea pig.

Out of curiosity, how do you get these purchases approved by swmbo?

@pbrmhl man am I glad to have you along for the ride!! You are my guinea pig.

Out of curiosity, how do you get these purchases approved by swmbo?

It helps that I have my shaving gear delivered to my office, that the size of my gear is relatively small, and that I carry a nice Tom Bihn Pilot bag with plenty of room to store gear. And that I manage my credit card account. And that we've been married for 36 years, and that I don't buy the expensive stuff I used to...

By the way, I loved my shave this morning with the ATT SE2 v2. I transferred the Kai Titan Mild I used for nine shaves in my RX, and found it to provide a smoother, yet marginally shorter-lasting, shave in the SE2 than when in my RX. Of course, it's only been one shave, but I look forward to the journey of using more aggressive blades. I suspect I'll end up with the Feather Pro for my RX, and the Pro Super for my SE2, but who knows?

I used my SE2 again today. I actually got a small weeper with my Kai Titan Mild blade, which surprised me. The shave is so smooth, I likely got overconfident. So far, the SE2 doesn't feel much different from my RX. More work needs to be done...

...because... the wee voices inside your head at night as you try to fall asleep tell you to... (and you know you'll never have a good night's sleep until you do)

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I used my SE2 again today. I actually got a small weeper with my Kai Titan Mild blade, which surprised me. The shave is so smooth, I likely got overconfident. So far, the SE2 doesn't feel much different from my RX. More work needs to be done...

After a week or two I would love to hear a comparison. My impression, from never having used either, but rather scouring the internet for reviews, is that they are similarly efficient, with the Rx marginally closer and more aggressive.

Top Bottom