What's new

Already hatch season

a customer of mine makes hot sauce as a hobby business. He grows all his chili’s except the hatch green. He went to Hatch this past weekend to plan a pick up with the farmer he buys from. He wasn’t prepared to bring any back but chili season is early this year and will, apparently, be over by the time he can get back. He was only able to bring back one sack. Anyone in New Mexico see this early chili season?

The farmer said when this happens it is going to be a rough winter. Wonder how true that is?

Mmmmm hatch green :thumbup1:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I noticed that the local store's Hatch Chile Festival started last week, and I wondered what was going on.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Around here it's always in August when we see them. Bought some over the last two weeks. I made a hatch salsa and a hatch chili omelette.

Got my first lb of hatch this past weekend. Do I roast and freeze or freeze then roast as needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Roast and then vacseal and freeze. I've frozen them with and without peeling them and it doesn't seem to matter.

Got my first lb of hatch this past weekend. Do I roast and freeze or freeze then roast as needed?

Roast while liberally inhaling the ambrosia as it wafts skyward to nourish the gods, knowing that all will be well for another year. Then freeze.

Thanks guys, I’m super excited as this is my first go round with hatch! Any recipes anyone loves that they would be willing to share? I would love a good relleno recipe!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I usually peel and seed them after roasting and before freezing, but that's purely for convenience later on. Some of that also gets minced up before freezing for the same reason.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Just picked up a bag of Hatch Chilies today. They will go on the smoker this weekend.
20180830_161503.jpg

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I saw fresh bulk hatch chili's in the market this afternoon. Thought it was a bit early too. Never to soon for hatch chilis though!

Will be picking some up tomorrow if they have not been totally picked through like they were today. Darn those people who get to the store before I go to work.

Just picked up a bag of Hatch Chilies today. They will go on the smoker this weekend.View attachment 908721
I’ve never seen chile packaged in such tiny bags! Everyone here in Albuquerque buys it by the box (I think 25 lbs. each). My wife made me buy a dedicated freezer years ago for chile storage so our ice cream and other frozen foods don’t end up tasting like my green chile. I usually get two or three boxes each fall, usually in September. I love the annual ritual of standing in line watching the roasters go round and round, and taking in the scent of roasting chile in the air. I saw some boxes at Walmart a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to loading up that freezer again in a few weeks!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am interested in fly fishing not hot peppers so I really misunderstood this thread title ...

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I just picked up a few pounds yesterday. Any insight on smoking them? I have never done it before.
Just put them on the pit but not under direct heat initially. Then let them wilt down and turn them occasionally. Let them char somewhat by moving them back and forth between direct heat and offset heat. After they are cooked and soft you could pick/pelled the skin...but not necessary.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just put them on the pit but not under direct heat initially. Then let them wilt down and turn them occasionally. Let them char somewhat by moving them back and forth between direct heat and offset heat. After they are cooked and soft you could pick/pelled the skin...but not necessary.
Thanks. I can’t get to them until Sunday- will they be okay, or should I freeze them?

Top Bottom