What's new

Already an obsession 😆

Hey y'all! Just getting started with shaving with a straight and it's already turned into an obsession 😆 Anyway, I figured I'd give a rundown of what I've got going on so far and then I've got some questions. Any advice, critiques, corrections, or smart-a** comments are all very welcome. Thanks in advance. So...
First off, the present rundown of what I've got going on: Currently using a Cattaraugus Cutlery Co. straight that I picked up from Larry at WhippedDog.com, THANKS LARRY! I love it! Been using the travel strop that comes with the kit from Razor Emporium so far. No complaints or problems with it so far, but I do want to get a full size strop that has a leather strop and canvas/linen/something for use with compound strop. For now the travel strop is serving well though. I've been using Proraso preshave for sensitive skin, and Cella soap/cream/whatever it is along with the Cella aftershave balm. Whip it up and apply with a Vie Long horsehair brush. Sometimes I use a hot towel, sometimes not. Can't tell a difference with either, aside from it just feeling great having a hot towel on my face. So far I have absolutely ZERO complaints about any part of the experience with what I've got going on currently. I tried a couple of shavettes previously just to see if I was going to actually like the method/process of shaving like this, but that is the extent of my experience with all this. Seems strange to me that I'd get it "right" so early on, but I don't have anything to compare it to. So maybe it's just that I've fallen in love with a Ford because I never had the experience of driving a Ferrari, that sort of thing, you know. Anyway, any feedback on any of that is welcome.
Now for the questions that I mentioned: I picked up a Frederick Reynolds at a local antique store that seems to me to be in pretty good shape. It was marked as "Civil War Era". I have no idea how to date this thing. Was hoping someone might have some info or could point me in the right direction on determining a manufacture time frame on this thing. Remember, questionS, I said I have questionS... So, restoration of this thing... Point me in a direction please. I'm not going to be anymore specific than that because that would be like 25 posts all in one and would be too much to cover, but a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. If I have specific questions along the way, I'll make separate posts for each.
Again, thanks in advance, and I really am appreciative that I have a community of folks with similar interests to lean on and talk about this rabbit hole that I've decided to wander down. Preciate y'all!
By the way, I posted this under the newbie checkin subforum, so if you've already seen this, sorry but I was told that it would be a good idea to post this here. I'll get better at this forum thing soon enough. Until then, please excuse my lack of proper forum etiquette. I also posted the applicable part of this in the restoration subforum, again please excuse the redundancy. Thanks again y'all!

IMG_20201213_133433465.jpg

Papasauls if you want restoration tips look here. There are extensive guides on B&B, once you are done with them and can't find an answer start posting questions.

As far as dating, I'm unable to help you other than to say that it is an old razor and look very nice.

Papasauls if you want restoration tips look here. There are extensive guides on B&B, once you are done with them and can't find an answer start posting questions.

As far as dating, I'm unable to help you other than to say that it is an old razor and look very nice.
Right on! Thanks for the help Straight up, I'll definitely check that out.

Good luck with your restoration! I am also pretty new to straights. Can’t offer much advice other than that I have learned a lot by digging through the various threads on B&B! Similar entry-way, I bought an Ontario Cutlery straight from Razor Emporium, since then have been buying less presentable vintage straights off of e-bay. Been thinking about a Cattaraugus, but just splurged on a few other American brands in the past few days.

Top Bottom