What's new

Already an obsession 😆

Hey y'all! Just getting started with shaving with a straight and it's already turned into an obsession 😆 Anyway, I figured I'd give a rundown of what I've got going on so far and then I've got some questions. Any advice, critiques, corrections, or smart-a** comments are all very welcome. Thanks in advance. So...
First off, the present rundown of what I've got going on: Currently using a Cattaraugus Cutlery Co. straight that I picked up from Larry at WhippedDog.com, THANKS LARRY! I love it! Been using the travel strop that comes with the kit from Razor Emporium so far. No complaints or problems with it so far, but I do want to get a full size strop that has a leather strop and canvas/linen/something for use with compound strop. For now the travel strop is serving well though. I've been using Proraso preshave for sensitive skin, and Cella soap/cream/whatever it is along with the Cella aftershave balm. Whip it up and apply with a Vie Long horsehair brush. Sometimes I use a hot towel, sometimes not. Can't tell a difference with either, aside from it just feeling great having a hot towel on my face. So far I have absolutely ZERO complaints about any part of the experience with what I've got going on currently. I tried a couple of shavettes previously just to see if I was going to actually like the method/process of shaving like this, but that is the extent of my experience with all this. Seems strange to me that I'd get it "right" so early on, but I don't have anything to compare it to. So maybe it's just that I've fallen in love with a Ford because I never had the experience of driving a Ferrari, that sort of thing, you know. Anyway, any feedback on any of that is welcome.
Now for the questions that I mentioned: I picked up a Frederick Reynolds at a local antique store that seems to me to be in pretty good shape. It was marked as "Civil War Era". I have no idea how to date this thing. Was hoping someone might have some info or could point me in the right direction on determining a manufacture time frame on this thing. Remember, questionS, I said I have questionS... So, restoration of this thing... Point me in a direction please. I'm not going to be anymore specific than that because that would be like 25 posts all in one and would be too much to cover, but a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. If I have specific questions along the way, I'll make separate posts for each.
Again, thanks in advance, and I really am appreciative that I have a community of folks with similar interests to lean on and talk about this rabbit hole that I've decided to wander down. Preciate y'all!

Attachments

• IMG_20201213_133445644.jpg
    IMG_20201213_133445644.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Papasauls welcome to B&B and the gentlemanly art of SR shaving.

Sorry that I can't help with your restoration project. Try posting in the Straight Razor→Restoration section.

It may not be long before you start lusting after a matching seven-day set (M7DS) of straight razors. Many lust but few achieve.

So, restoration of this thing... Point me in a direction please. I'm not going to be anymore specific than that because that would be like 25 posts all in one and would be too much to cover, but a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

welcome. Go the straights subforum.

That style of straight is called a “rattler”. A bit of light cleaning (like mothers) should do the trick at first. See where that takes you. And keep the flow of that edge if you can!

welcome. Go the straights subforum.

That style of straight is called a “rattler”. A bit of light cleaning (like mothers) should do the trick at first. See where that takes you. And keep the flow of that edge if you can!
Thanks for the info. A "rattler", hmmm, interesting. Mothers, like the car polish? And the "flow" of the edge... do you mean the slight curve that it has? Thanks again global_dev !

@Papasauls welcome to B&B and the gentlemanly art of SR shaving.

Sorry that I can't help with your restoration project. Try posting in the Straight Razor→Restoration section.

It may not be long before you start lusting after a matching seven-day set (M7DS) of straight razors. Many lust but few achieve.
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion to post in the restoration section.
I don't know about a MATCHING seven-day set, but an unmatching seven-day set sounds like my cup of tea, and I'm pretty sure I'll end up with AT LEAST seven different razors considering I've already acquired two, have another on the way, and can't stop looking for more and I'm just getting started 😆. Like I said, it's already become an obsession 😄 Thanks again rbscebu !

Thanks for the info. A "rattler", hmmm, interesting. Mothers, like the car polish? And the "flow" of the edge... do you mean the slight curve that it has? Thanks again global_dev !

yup, the fine auto polishs like, mothers, flitz, white lightning, etc are good to see where you are at and knock off any easy corrosion. be careful of any gold appliques or light etches on razors, some of them are really fine and can easily be polished off accidentally. if you want to get it back to shinty and clean, that takes a bunch more time, and elbow grease depending on how bad the state of the surface is..

and yes again, the slight curve, many people will flatten out the edge and thats ok, but you see thats more or less an oem shape edge. it looks like it was never honed from the pic, but definitely some corrosion on the spine contact area. i would kill any active rust, clean it up slightly, and get it working! nice grab!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and don’t forget to check out the Straight Razor Forum. The members there would love to hear from you.

yup, the fine auto polishs like, mothers, flitz, white lightning, etc are good to see where you are at and knock off any easy corrosion. be careful of any gold appliques or light etches on razors, some of them are really fine and can easily be polished off accidentally. if you want to get it back to shinty and clean, that takes a bunch more time, and elbow grease depending on how bad the state of the surface is..

and yes again, the slight curve, many people will flatten out the edge and thats ok, but you see thats more or less an oem shape edge. it looks like it was never honed from the pic, but definitely some corrosion on the spine contact area. i would kill any active rust, clean it up slightly, and get it working! nice grab!
Thanks again! Yeah, there's some pretty good pitting on the spine in a couple of small spots, but that's it really. Everything else is just darkened, like water stains, or maybe just age, but no actual rust. I think you're right that it was never honed. There is basically zero bevel on the edge and the spine doesn't seem to have any wear at all, aside from the pitting. Haven't decided if I want to really shine it up or not. With its age, that dark "patina" is kind of fitting. Then again, that big chopper would look pretty sexy all polished up. Thanks again global_dev

I used to think i was a fan of shiny restorations, but over the years have fone away from that, but some pieces look phenomenal when done well.

Get that thing sanitized and honed!! Its a beauty!

Top Bottom