What's new

Alpha/Executive Shaving Outlaw or Tatara Nodachi?

Hi Gents, I just got my Alpha Outlaw today and took it for a spin on a 24hr growth with a Permasharp. I also have the Nodachi, here's my take (both used 1st use Permasharp but different blades):
  1. For me the Outlaw is more comfortable and as, if not more, efficient. Perhaps the best way to describe it based on my 1st shave is it manages to be super efficient but gentle at the same time (light touch as it's heavy).
  2. Feedback on the Outlaw is more pronounced but by no means chattering. The clamping system is different. The AO relies on curvature and Nodachi on tight clamping near the edges. Yes, the latter is more rigid but at the same time very sensitive to blade choice (well, I haven't tried the AO with other blades). For me the Nodachi needs a med-high sharpness blade that is smooth (YMMV).
  3. Tolerance on the Nodachi is a league or two above the AO and I don't know if my mild OCD kicked in I needed to wiggle the top cap on the AO a bit to get (while squinting eyes and full of assumption) the blade aligned perfectly. 5 sec job, no biggie.
  4. Finish of course the Nodachi is better, but not apple to apple as one is polished.
  5. The AO is a thicc and heavy boy. Approx as much as a Rockwell 6S (which I also enjoy using R5-R6 but not as efficient). But the knurling digs into your fingers so no worries there.
  6. Both Steve(AO) and Joao (Tatara) are pleasure to deal with. Actually I bought my Nodachi from the Portuguese Factory. Carlos is a top notch guy and you can get a 5% discount on your 1st purchase. I got my Semogue brush from him too.
So in summary, get the Outlaw. It's much cheaper and a performer. Although with a sufficient dosage of RAD you'll get the Nodachi too :clap:.

Alpha_Nodachi.PNG

Top Bottom