What's new

Alohawyatt's Entry to the Hall of Fame

Hello to all in B&B

I'm new to B&B and kind of new to wet shaving. A few years back, I picked up a Pawn Stars Micro Touch TTO. Wallyworld had them for 20 bucks. At the time, it seemed like a good deal. Now looking back, I have mixed thoughts about it. First, $20 was not even close to what I was paying for a razor with 12 cartridges. So that was good. But there was a learning curve involved. Yea, I made lots of mistakes. Got some cuts, bad lathers, and didn't even have a brush. Let's not talk about the soap. But I was so into the nostalgia of the whole thing that I kept ongoing. That is until my TTO came apart one morning. I don't know If it was me or the razor that caused it. So into the trash, it went. But I did keep the unused blades.

The blades stayed in my drawer for a long time. Until one day, I picked up a Van Der Hagen TTO at the drug store. I think it could be the same razor as the Micro Touch, but I don't know. With a little research, I learned to lather Williams with a cheap badger brush and bowl. With my newfound lather and a light touch, I was in a different world. Wow, I am so glad that I came back to it. So I do owe some thanks to Micro Touch. Now I find myself looking for new ways to learn about wet shaving. I have been looking threw B&B with big eyes. But my wallet is small. I'm trying not to turn my new found cheep shave into my new found expensive hobby. That's starting to look like a big challenge. :)

It looks like most of the cheap stuff comes from China. (No surprise there) I'm not too thrilled about sending my money over there right now. But if it was already in the US and used or new old stock, well, that's a little different. So with that in mind, I'm looking for advice. Is it posable to find some low-cost stuff here on B&B?
Things that I have been looking at are listed below. It is in no way a complete list. If you have some suggestions, please let me know.
  1. Something with adjustable heads. For me, the top-end is a brass, Karve.
  2. Futur or its clone. For me, a top-end would be a vintage Gillette adjustable.
  3. Sample artisan soaps. That's a whole new thing for me.
  4. The rest of no longer needed stuff like Arko, Cella, Tabac, or similar. All I have is Williams.
  5. Blades, the only ones I have are Dorco and Van Der Hagen. I still have four new ones.
  6. Brushes. I have a small badger. I think it a pour knot with wood handle. I want to try other types.
  7. Bowls. I am into bowl lathering, but the kitchen bowl is working great.
  8. Aftershave.
  9. Cologne.
    Thank you for reading, and I hope you and yours are doing well.
    Wyatt

Welcome aboard!

Check out the BST forum where there is of great kit at very fair prices!!

In addition, there are forums for each of the items that you are interested in: TONS of great information!!

welcome aboard! I got my first Karve a few days ago and it's a fine razor. B&B is the place that taught me to shave well and have a great time doing it.

Thank you for the welcomes
It looks like B&B is full of good people and info.

I will check out BST on a regular bases.

Happy to hear that you got a Karve. Which plate did you get?

Top Bottom