What's new

Aloe vera or glycerin

Which one is better to add to aftershaves? Does one have an advantage over the other?
I think aloe vera might bring other good skin food to the party where as glycerin is strictly a moisturizer. What does everyone say?

Which one is better to add to aftershaves? Does one have an advantage over the other?
I think aloe vera might bring other good skin food to the party where as glycerin is strictly a moisturizer. What does everyone say?
Add em both.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Thanks for replying. I still don’t really get it though. If aloe vera and glycerin both add moisturizers, why not just add aloe vera? I can understand manufacturer’s adding both because maybe aloe costs more so they can cut costs by adding glycerin. Basically, Im just not seeing the benefit of adding glycerin if I can just use aloe which also adds other goodies.

Glycerine is highly hygroscopic. That means that it readily absorbs moisture from the air, keeping your skin moist for a longer period of time. Aloe is also a very good skin conditioner. Thus, as some have said, there is no reason not to add a little of both.

Aloe is probably better for your skin and does more for actual healing. But, glycerine will make your skin feel better. Both have benefits.

Thanks everyone. So my takeaway is that both is best but if you only do 1, aloe vera is more beneficial.

Thanks for replying. I still don’t really get it though. If aloe vera and glycerin both add moisturizers, why not just add aloe vera? I can understand manufacturer’s adding both because maybe aloe costs more so they can cut costs by adding glycerin. Basically, Im just not seeing the benefit of adding glycerin if I can just use aloe which also adds other goodies.

Aloe vera is an astringent or toner. It doesn't merely add moisture. That's why when aloe is used internally as a medicine, it acts as a laxative, because it shrinks tissues somewhat. It's good for gastritis, ulcers, etc. After a sunburn it feels good because it reduces inflammation through the same mechanisms.

If you are adding aloe vera to an aftershave in significant amounts, you're going to have to learn a thing or two about preservatives, because it will spoil and the amount of preservatives in commercial aloe vera juice will not preserve the whole product when diluted, necessarily.

20-25 percent alcohol in a lotion is enough to generally make it bacteriostatic and prevent mold, it's a simple way to preserve a lotion and was often used in the past.

Last edited:
Top Bottom