What's new

Aloe "after sun" gel as aftershave/balm?

For many years I've used Aloe After-Sun gels (green goop) on my skin. I remember that some of the companies that sell it even recommend it as an aftershave balm.

So, anyone? I just rubbed some on my razor-burned chin and it feels much better.

(I keep a bottle of the green goop in the fridge)

Banana Boat is a common brand as is it's clone, Top Care (generic). I like the fragrance. Some use a coconut scent which I dislike.

I can bet it would work very well as an aftershave. The problem is that I could see it being a little sticky. If it was all I had in the cabinet I would absolutely use it.

I have found that my skin loves aloe vera. Shaving products that contain it seem to perform the best for me. I distinctly notice less irritation to the point of zero. In addition to help soothe and decrease inflammation it is said to promote healing as well. I have read that it has distinct effects on certain physiologic mediators in the skin.

I have used Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera 100% Gel as an aftershave in a pinch. It works OK but it stings slightly upon contact but fades quickly. In my opinion, Trumper Skin Food is a better product by far.

One thing to keep in mind with the "green after sun" products is that they usually contain some amount of lidocaine as the active ingredient.

Thanks,
Mike

Agree with Mikey on this one, I tried some from Holland & Barrett which is 99.9% pure Aloe.

Stings a little when you first put it on and didn't seem to be as soothing, or have as long lasting effect as I was expecting.

I have used Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera 100% Gel as an aftershave in a pinch. It works OK but it stings slightly upon contact but fades quickly. In my opinion, Trumper Skin Food is a better product by far.

I have a bottle of this. I use it on the rare occasion when I've given myself some persistent facial irritation (usually rushing with a well-used blade). If I still have sore spots after getting home from work, I'll slather on the FotE 100% Aloe Gel after the post-workout shower & face wash, and let it dry. It has always sorted me out by bedtime, and I follow with my routine coating of CeraVe cream before hitting the sack. The next morning I'm right as the mail.

Top Bottom