What's new

Alliance of Merkur

20211122_094154.jpg

Sometimes I wonder if in 60 years time people will look at the Merkur 34c with the same nostalgia that the classic Gillettes are today. In any case, in my opinion, the 34c is not only a modern classic but one that won this mornings "what to shave with" dilemma. It paired nicely with Tailor of old Bond St Sandalwood (in an ex-Tobs Platinum Collection bowl), and my tryed and tested Wilkinson sword classic brush & blade.

View attachment 1366535

Sometimes I wonder if in 60 years time people will look at the Merkur 34c with the same nostalgia that the classic Gillettes are today. In any case, in my opinion, the 34c is not only a modern classic but one that won this mornings "what to shave with" dilemma. It paired nicely with Tailor of old Bond St Sandalwood (in an ex-Tobs Platinum Collection bowl), and my tryed and tested Wilkinson sword classic brush & blade.
I hope they do considering the humble 34C has been around since the 1930's and is essentially THE standard by which all other razors are measured :)

I hope they do considering the humble 34C has been around since the 1930's and is essentially THE standard by which all other razors are measured :)
I tend to forget that the 34c is a 1930s design, perhaps this is because its still in production. The 34c is such a timeless classic that I would imagine that in 60 years people would still think of it as a modern classic as Merkur would probably still be selling them 😅

Pre-Shave: GFT Ecuris Skinfood
Lather: Superlather! Tailors of Old Bond St Sandalwood & Proraso Green
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T1
Razor: Merkur 34c hd
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (3)
Post-shave: Cold water, Alum block and Fuar Ach Snog

A close Comfortable shave with a 34c is a great way to start the week :shaving:

Razor: Merkur Progress 500
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (German)
Brush: Simpson Captain 2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Shannon's 25th Street Lime splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Rose Petal
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20210803_080729.jpg

My first PROGRESS was acquired in 2012, three years after I started using DE razors.

It blew me away on the first use and was my only razor until 2016, when I got the Rockwell 6S, as the head design is similar to the Progress.

I then went down the rabbit hole with more premium razors and whilst I absolutely love many of them, nothing beats the PROGRESS for the closest, longest lasting and most comfortable shaves!

I have 2.
One at home, one for travel.
the second one has a slight misalignment and only one side is usable so I use it like an SE razor. If it's lost on travels, I wouldn't be too bothered about it.

But the shaves are sublime!
Especially with a BIC chrome platinum blade (polsilver and nacet are awesome too!).

Razor: Merkur Progress 500
Blade: Lion Super Stainless
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Hunting Lodge
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
20220815_083540.jpg

I dig Merkurs, I’m Joining.

Have 34C, Progress and Futur.

The Merkur Progress was first manufactured in 1955 so I’d guess that counts as vintage. The plastic adjustment button at the bottom was introduced in 1958 (original was Bakelite) so I guess that still counts as vintage. I like the balance and feel of the long handled version.

Used the Progress today…

The beauty of the Merkur Progress is how intuitively easy it is to find the correct angle for the blade during the shave. It seems to find itself by magic and I can sit back and watch it happen. In my mind, I get this picture of the razor laughing and dancing away as it effortlessly glides through my beard. It almost comes alive in my hand. Great audible feedback too which probably brought this picture to my mind. There’s a very satisfying feel to the way the razor and blade chop and slice my hairs away. I’ve had this razor over 20 years. Need to check the blade alignment just to be sure as it sometimes need twiddling. Other than that it still looks like new. A great razor.

76D50760-EBA2-4166-9EB1-50377B894713.jpeg

Pre Shave: Truefitt and Hill Authentic No 10 Sensitive shave gel.
Shave cream: Simpson Bay Rum
Brush: Phoenix StarCraft
Razor: Merkur Futur Satin Chrome finish
Blade: Perma Sharp 3rd use (Istanbul plant Manufacture)
Aftershave: Nivea Active Energy

I often use the Authentic No 10 sensitive shave gel as a pre shave. It’s cheaper as a tiny amount goes a long way when applied by the fingers all over the face and neck. Wet your face first. It has a transparent, smooth and slick formulation which suits me perfectly to put the creamy lather on top of. Works great for me. Used as a shaving gel on its own it’s very good but the disadvantage for me is it’s transparent so not as easy to know where you’ve shaved.

No bowl lathering today. The StarCraft brush, loaded with cream and straight onto face for lathering, is getting better and better since buying it a week or so ago. It’s becoming my favourite brush.
A bargain and a joy to use.

Now. Down to business. The Merkur Futur in satin chrome is one of those razors with mystical qualities. It knows how to shave all by itself. With the grain it instantly finds the right angle and against the grain is shows you how to ride the cap effortlessly. I trust this razor implicitly. It’s never cut me or given me a bad shave regardless of blade or creams. I use it around 2-3 with the grain and 1 to 1.5 against the grain. Or usually, I just leave it around 1.5. I’m not the guy that needs it setting at 5 or 6 to shave with. I’m manly enough use the lower settings without guilt or shame. Size doesn’t matter. Technique and what suits you and your beard is what matters. An amazing razor, a joy to use, beautiful to look at and as dependable as a buddy in the Marines. Get the picture? 👌😊

A fantastic shave today, smooth, comfortable, exhilarating, fresh, clean: BBS nice and easy: 2 passes and with no irritation.

90D1779C-2888-4C14-B552-5F1F613B04F0.jpeg

Razor: Merkur Progress, gold, Hoffritz model
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L in Manchurian badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Lather: Long Rifle Hunting Lodge
Aftershave: LBCC Historical Bay Rum Aftershave
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
20221226_093049.jpg

Wow, which blade is this? How many shaves did you get from it?

Didn't know this thread exists, but should expect it as I often see Merkur pictures here.

Here is my shave with the Progress and Dorco ST300 today. This small magician deserves more appreciation.
My diary record is here

View attachment 1607427
I'm taking part in the "One Blade in February" challenge FOURTEENTH ANNUAL One Blade in February Challenge 2023 Edition - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/fourteenth-annual-one-blade-in-february-challenge-2023-edition.634692/post-12132835

So far I've put 17 shaves on a single Gillette Perma-Sharp blade.

Great looking Progress btw :)

I'm taking part in the "One Blade in February" challenge FOURTEENTH ANNUAL One Blade in February Challenge 2023 Edition - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/fourteenth-annual-one-blade-in-february-challenge-2023-edition.634692/post-12132835

So far I've put 17 shaves on a single Gillette Perma-Sharp blade.

:em19: 17 - very impressive. Will follow the thread. Thanks :a14:

Thanks 🍻
The Progress is almost brand new. 8 shaves on it, so far. Love it and it became my daily driver. Still testing which blades work in it best. The previous was a Tiger Platinum - total disappointment. Now Dorco looks promising after the first shave.

Cheers,
Stoyan

Top Bottom