What's new

All-time Favorite Aftershave Balm or Aftershave Splash and Why?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Currently, my favorites list would look like this:

PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Fine Aquamarine
Bootlegger's Bay Rum
Lustray Spice
WSP Bay Rum
Stirling Bay Rum
Ogallala Bay Rum Double Strength
Murray and Lanman Florida Water
Seaforth...Spiced!
Seaforth...Sea Spice Lime!
Barberry Coast Bay Rum
Barrister and Mann Seville
Barrister and Mann Bay Rum

My wife's favorite...Captain's Choice Venture.

How's that for being decisive?!

If I had to pick one, it would probably be Epsilon Mediterranean Blue.

This would be based on scent, performance and price.

But I sure would miss the scent of Trumpers and Proraso sandalwood, Stirling's deep blue sea with menthol, Vitos tobacco, La Toja.

I also like Nivea Sensitive for a balm. Like to apply it after my aftershave dries down a bit. Leaves a great post shave feel for sure.

Edit: I knew I should have looked into the Den before I posted this.

These 2 cost a little bit more per OZ. But, it was money well spent.

How could I forget about LNHC post shave elixir. Great performance and while the Barbershop scent isn't what I think of as a classic barbershop scent like Clubman. I've been told it's closer to CF GTB, it's one of my favorites for sure.

CBL aftershave tonic is also a high quality product really impressed me too.

Last edited:
Shulton’s Old Spice will always be my favorite. As others have said, it’s use in my family go back generations. For many years, it was all that I used.
My modern go to is Chiseled Face, generally Ghost Town Barber, Sherlock or Natural.

Pinaud Clubman AS
Cella Balm

I love the earthy smell of the Clubman, and the slight sting it gives.
As for the Cella I find it very protective and soothing on the skin.
And if I could only have just one AS lotion it would be Clubman.

Probably Speick. It's great stuff. Scent is very fleeting which is good and bad. I don't have any right now as I'm trying other things. Once I whittle down what I have, I'll get some again.
I do love Fine American Blend though. Fantastic scent.

(Splashes)

Reactions: Lad
Pinaud VIBR - this is the essence of how barbershops smelled when I was a kid. Every time I open the bottle it rushes me back to my childhood. Love that it lasts awhile, and my girlfriend absolutely loves the smell.
Nivea Sensitive Balm - it just works well and doesn't remove my AS smell.

Benjamin's Bay Rum (Menthol version).

A burst of cooling and a big waft of bay rum (cloves are the strongest note). The scent doesn't last long but it's a nice way to finish a shave. Cheap too.

Saturday, while I was feeding my barber supply addiction the store keeper recommended a new product that he just got in from one of his Barber Supply whole-sellers.

Made by WAHL, this aftershave balm cost me $7.50 and after using it for just three days I wonder where this had been my whole life. I mean, I thought that Nivea owned the budget balm market with dozens of bottles used over the years, but this stuff is miraculous. It soothes immediately, but instead of leaving your face feeling tacky during an extended dry down, this stuff is smooth to the touch in about five minutes and has a wonderful face feel. It is unscented and can be applied right over your favorite artisan aftershave to lock in the scent.

I don't think that this can be found in regular big box stores, but if you see it at a barber supply or online you should do yourself a favor and give it a shot.

Wahl 1919.jpg

I’ve got over 200 aftershaves. (It’s my hobby—cheaper than golf or fly fishing.) Here are my top five:

Chatillon Lux Blackberry Blossom Bay (although I like all of them)
Maol Grooming Heliopteris (although I like all of them)
Declaration Grooming (no favorite; I like all of them)
Ariana and Evans Asian Plum
Noble Otter BarrBarr

I’m decisive with A&E and Noble because I only have one of each. But I have six more A&E and four more Noble aftershaves en route… I have a problem.

P.S. I should add that face feel is the most important feature of an aftershave splash for me. All five I listed are very “balmy,” but not greasy. If I were basing my choices on scent alone, Vigoroso, Faberge Brut, vintage Skin Bracer and many others would be vying for a top-five spot.

Last edited:
Speick splash. It has a bit of alcohol, mild citrus+lavender scent, very good soothing and healing properties, natural ingredients. The scent does not linger too long, just fifteen or twenty minutes. I'm fine with that.
+1
I mean the blue label variety with Witch-hazel.

Reactions: Lad
Surprised no one’s mentioned it yet, but, “Baxter of California’s” post shave balm.

With a light, subtle menthol scent, reminds me of the beach. 😎🏖

Derby City Chop shop is really good juice. Highly moisturizing, completely fixes any burn I might get, lasts a good few hours, and smells great. The only downside is they only make it once a year (I think).

Top Bottom