What's new

All-time Favorite Aftershave Balm or Aftershave Splash and Why?

I've been shaving since the early 1960's. I grew up with, and still need, an alcohol splash after a shave. My favorite aftershaves are Captain's Choice Bay Rum or Cat O'Nine Tails, Ogallala Bay Rum when I need a clove fix, or just Dickinson's witch hazel if I'm shaving late and don't want a scented aftershave before I go to sleep.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I’m definitely in the balm camp. I used Nivea Sensitive exclusively for a long time. It’s a good product with a mild sent. It goes with everything, is readily available and good value. It’s though to beat.

I branched out trying lots of balms and had a hard time finding anything better. I eventually found a few but not many and not by much. Nivea Sensitive is my benchmark for balms.

Better than Nivea:
Baume BE
Antica Barbieria Colla

Similar level (but with better scent):
Aqua di Parma
Castle Forbes

Not as good as Nivea:
Zingari Man
Speick
Trumpers Skin Food
Truefitt & Hill
DR Harris
L’occtaine

YMMV
Interesting. Would you mind expanding on why you found Zingari worse than Nivea? That is on my shortlist to try.

Splash: Aqua Velva
Balm: Nivea sensitive

I haven't tried many splashes, but aqua velva feels soo good on my skin for a splash.

Nivea sensitive was the first post shave product I tried after I started shaving with a cart in 2012, and it's still going strong. I've tried other balms, but I keep coming back to the good ol' Nivea sensitive.

Summer: Speick
Winter: Proraso White Balm
Really digging: Everything from Wet Shaving Products
Preferences: Subject to change without notice

Balm - Nivea Sensitive is a tried and true go to. However, I just tried a couple samples of Captain's Choice balms (Lime and Bay Rum) and they are very nice. The skin feel and absorption is as good or better than the Nivea and while I prefer a stronger more lasting scent the scent on these two samples is quite nice.

Splash - I am a big fan of Striling Executive Man. My only gripe about this particular splash is that I wish it lingered longer on me. Scent aside. It has a great skin feel. On top of that my wife is a big fan of the scent as well.

Reactions: Lad
Fall: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Winter: Captain's Choice North
Spring: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Summer: Portuguese Freeze

90% of the time, I finish with 4711 cologne used as a splash. Nice bite, great aroma. Otherwise, I use Speick or Fine Italian Citrus AS.

When I need a balm, which isn't often, I turn to Tcheon Fung Sing Bergamotto Neroli. I also use Geo. Trumper Coral Skin Food for general skin care.

I've really been enjoying my Captain's Choice aftershaves. For me, they are perfection. Just the right amount of antiseptic with a scent that is never too heavy. I rotate through Nor'easter, Venture, Italia, 45th Parallel, and Island Time and I have yet to get bored of any one of those.

Favorite face feel: Chiseled Face splash. Ghost town Barber is my favorite, but all the ones I’ve tried seem to have a great balance of alcohol, witch hazel, glycerin, and menthol.

Favorite Scent: Old Spice. I’m not old enough to have a strong opinion on Shulton vs P&G, the new stuff smells like what I remember my dad and grandad using.

Favorite all rounder: Proraso Green splash. Feels good, smells good, fades quickly (good and bad), makes skin soft.

And as all the aforementioned were alcohol splashes, favorite balm: Nivea Sensitive. I’m not a fan of aquatic smells, and Nivea does smell like that to me, but on the occasion I give myself razor burn, it does the trick.

Top Bottom