What's new

All these new double edge razors

I myself have never had a new fancy razor, has always been vintage Gillette's. I always get good shaves when I do my part.
But I also have noticed that I am seeing new razors advertised everywhere these last few years.
Some look real nice. The prices, wow! $100+ on most, wife would kill me!

I will admit a few of the Merkur razors have peaked my interest. Maybe someday?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I like the feel of a new modern highly engineered razor. They do shave me better than any vintage. But I also like the nostalgia and history of shaving with vintage razors. We can enjoy both. I find vintage razors enjoyable. But when I want a superior shave, it's always going to be a high end modern razors. If it were about cost, vintage would be the way to go. But it's not for me. It's a hobby and a passion for me. So I spend what my budget will allow. And I use what my mood dictates on any given day.

I myself have never had a new fancy razor, has always been vintage Gillette's. I always get good shaves when I do my part.
But I also have noticed that I am seeing new razors advertised everywhere these last few years.
Some look real nice. The prices, wow! $100+ on most, wife would kill me!

I will admit a few of the Merkur razors have peaked my interest. Maybe someday?
I have what were high end razors from a decade ago, although the cost of entry back then was much more reasonable compared to some of todays offerings.

I have a few picks that shave well and am going through a slow process to reevaluate my old finds to see how they shave. I always come back to the vintage gillettes though. I’m sure some of the new ones shave nice but they aren’t going to be anything that will revolutionize the experience over a 50 year old Super Adjustable. Spending a huge amount of money for a razor is unnecessary to have an enjoyable shave.

Like many modern things, vintage razors were considered to be an art form. Gold razors in jewelry type cases were something to behold and value.

We must also take into consideration that a $5 razor 80-90 years ago, was quite expensive, given the value of the dollar, at that point in time.

Still, it was common for DE shavers in the 50's and 60's to pay a couple of pennies per-shave and think nothing of it. People, after all, did have pennies!

Today, with many blades costing $10/100 in bulk packages, it is still possible (and probable) to get five shaves out of a 10-cent blade.

The value and quality of DE shaving is still very much with us today.

I went through the vintage phase during my mission to try out pretty much every razor.
Note: I'm still on that journey and it'll probably never end!
I kept 3-4 vintage razors (the ones I enjoyed most). But honestly, the modern ones rule for me. As good as Gillette's, Shicks etc.. are, modern technology has been applied to the new modern razors. The fit, finish, materials, feel, geometry, etc. + shave quality surpasses anything vintage (for me).
But of course, YMMV!

I don't really understand the desire for more exotic materials. Plated brass razors have a great track record. I've got a few aluminum pieces, too. They have endured 70-80+ years so far. I do have one (nicely) replated New SC. Good as new (no pun intended).

The geometry of modern razors I've seen is not all that different from some of the vintage designs.

Glad you have found what works best for you. I've had many vintage razors and enjoyed a fair amount of them. Idid at one point decide to sell off the whole lot and stuck to more modern razors which I have continued to do. I now have 11 razors, all modern, which I really enjoy using. For me the vintage razors had their day but the modern ones just suit me better.

For me the vintage razors had their day but the modern ones just suit me better.

I imagine that there is good to be had in both?

People, including myself, have a tendency to admire vintage products. Vintage, in and of itself, does not mean a superior product.

But... There are exceptions, where vintage products have many admirable attributes that time has passed on by. Just look at the market for collectors of vintage automobiles. By comparison, a vintage razor is only equalivent to a single part on an entire car.

A whole lot easier to collect a dozen vintage razors, than a dozen vintage cars. Less upkeep, space required and definitely less expensive!

Vintage watches are another good comparison. Some are so beautifully made. While many are superb examples of excellent craftsmanship, the best can't compete with the accuracy of a watch given away in a Happy Meal!

I am looking forward to picking up a few, reasonable vintage razors, over the next year. Do I think they will give me a better shave? Not really but if some do, I will be a happy camper!

I also equally plan on purchasing a few modern razors next year, it all works out...

I love my Timeless by the way so the variety is great. I read somewhere in another thread we might be in the golden age of wet shaving.

And yet, my shave this morning with my Tech was an excellent BBS a well. My view and experience is that most Gillettes and other vintage razors can certainly pull above their weight.

Guido
Dunno about that, the '30s, immediately prior to WWII were about as international as you could get, with huge variety. Henckles, Wester, Le Touriste, Le Coq, many others, all had wedge sets still out & in production. Gillette/Autostrop was booming, with licensing world wide. Schick was in the game. Bakelite, plastic and zamak were the most modern of materials, revolutionary at the time.

It is an interesting sociological study: innovation and dissemination on a large scale always precede major wars. A bit frightening.

This is a very interesting thread, that I have throughly enjoyed reading! First I am a vintage Gillette guy, which is what I enjoy. I am very excited by all of the new razors that are coming out for the new joining our ranks. With the movement away from disposable products I see Wet shaving becoming more popular. Today someone starting out can be intimated with vintage razors, what do I get, where do I get it at, will it work, I have to really be concerned about catching something from the old razor, because I read on the internet that a person caught something from using an old razor!!! Or, I can look at the new razors and get one from a company, and if there are problems I can get it replaced of repaired. And, the cost of a new razor is about the same as it was 80-90 years for a new Gillette. Most kids I know, including my generation don’t want what Dad has, but what is newer and better! Just my thoughts and here is to more successful new companies producing new razors!!!

Tom

Top Bottom