What's new

All the chubbies! Couldnt decided so I got all three

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have been looking at Chubby 2 syn, how does it preform compared to the regular? Is it dense?
Both are dense but they are totally different to each other. The 27mm synth has very little splay so feels much smaller on the face than the badger brush. My limit for a badger brush is 25mm and the synth Chubby is fine for me. I had the Chubby 2 and 3 in Super and sold them as they were absurdly large for face lathering - for me anyway, many people love fhem, but I found them almost unusable. The synth Chubby 2 is the best synth I have tried and the only one I have kept. I use it when travelling as it dries quickly. I have to start the splay by pressing it against the point of my chin and from there on it lathers like a dream. I prefer to swirl my brushes rather than use painting strokes but either will work fine. The tips are very soft, a lovely brush.

I have been looking at Chubby 2 syn, how does it preform compared to the regular? Is it dense?

IMO, they are completely different brushes. The Chubby 2 synthetic is dense for a synthetic, but isn’t close to a Chubby 2 badger. Because the fibers don’t absorb water, the synthetic doesn’t bloom. Density wise, it feels closer to a Duke 2 or 3.

The Chubby 2 synthetic is also softer than the Chubby 2 super.

Last edited:
Here is a visual illustration of what I’m talking about:
3E82617C-903A-4990-AF1E-3FB1275DF76E.jpeg

With regular use, the super has bloomed to be much larger than the synthetic.

What are the main reason why people buy synthetic, durability? Hygiene?

Each type of brush has its advantages. Personally, I love the feel of a badger brush on my face, and badgers hold heat much better than synthetics.

Synthetics, however, whip up a lather faster, use less soap than badgers or boars for comparable lathers, are easier to clean and maintain, and dry faster. There are also ethical considerations of course. Some people are more comfortable using non-animal products.

I have terrible news for you. The Chubby collection is never complete. Never.

A wonderful start to your Chubby collection!

Attachments

• AB375D74-AB6C-465E-B0C9-0AE7A6E44426.jpeg
    AB375D74-AB6C-465E-B0C9-0AE7A6E44426.jpeg
    893.6 KB · Views: 52
I agree, I have a Chubby 1 and a Duke 3 in Manchurian and it is tough to tell the knots apart. Any difference that may exist is certainly not worth the extra expense in my opinion. I would love a Duke 1 Manchurian to fit in a small Simpson travel case!

The Duke 1 I have fits perfect in small Simpson tube and a great brush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The Duke 1 I have fits perfect in small Simpson tube and a great brush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, I also have a Duke 1 Best that fits the small travel case and is a great travel brush. What I would like is a Duke 1 in Manchurian but I have never seen one.

Congratulations!, enjoy the Chubbies. Chubby 1 knots are my preference. I use both the best and super badgers, and I'm sure I could not tell them apart if I were blindfolded. I hope you have better luck than I have had with size 2's.

Welp, I was going to start a "which brush should I buy next" thread, but I suppose this solves that one. Why buy 1 when you can just buy all 3 since you'll want all 3 anyhow? Totally makes sense. I'd tell my wife not to waste time getting just 1. Cheaper in the long run to buy in bulk😆👌

I started with the Chubby 3 (Super & Manchurian) and now have settled down with the Chubby 2's which I think are the sweet spot for me. I think if I were to shave my head (have not started yet), the CH3's would become handy, but for face CH2's do the job.

The main problem I have with the Chubby 3's are that they consume a ton of soap/cream and it's true that they give you enough shave for 3+ times, but most of the time I am spending cleaning them and pushing lather out during washing.

I've the chubby3 but find it makes the right amount of lather. Try loading for less time..
So you bought some expensive brushes but can't afford the soap for them! HA!!!

I've the chubby3 but find it makes the right amount of lather. Try loading for less time..
So you bought some expensive brushes but can't afford the soap for them! HA!!!

I don't mind using soap on them, but cleaning them takes time...

Congratulations it’s hard to go wrong with a Chubby.

I couldn’t decide either and got the Chubby 1 in all three grades. The Super is my favourite brush right now. Nothing in my collection is softer. Unfortunately I had to let the Best go (too much scritch).

The best grade is a gamble. It can be really good but there are no guarantees. My Classic 1 Best shown below is top notch but the Cubby 1 Best was worlds apart. It’s the luck of the draw sometimes.

The Classic 1 is my travel brush. It fits perfectly in the small Simpson travel case. Just big enough to face lather a good two pass while on the road. It’s always nice to get home to the Chubbies though!
4ED17A32-DB26-438F-BDA8-32F1D364120B.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom