What's new

All that face stuff?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I prefer simple shaves. Lather, shave, rinse, done!

I do have post shave options available, including aftershave lotion (what many here call splash), aftershave balm, moisturisers, and Eau de Toilette. I do use them occasionally, according to how my skin feels at the time, or whether or not I want to "wear" a scent. It's all variable both in terms of season and weather, but also what soap I happened to shave with, how many passes I took, kit used, planned events, etc.

I suppose that to me, post shaves are like condiments when cooking. It's nice to have the options there, but it's also nice to not need them.

So, last night I was looking through the “What did you use to today” post on this forum. What surprised me was all of the non-soap products people use during their shave. Pre-shave, post-shave, Aftershave, fragrance. balms, oils..........
Now, I am relatively new to wet shaving and no doubt there is lots I don’t understand. But, what is all this stuff for?

i just shave with a soap/cream and then wash it off with water. End! I enjoy the soap scent while I shave, but don’t want to smell for the whole day. And if I do the shave right, I really have no issues with face irritation. But, obviously I may be missing some zen like experience? Are there any of you that just do the shave and don’t use all of these other tonics?

Help me step up my game!
All the stuff women have.....now men have, plus the real shaving stuff.....marketing.....moving $$$ wether it works or not....but it does for some.....

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
It is ritualistic for me. I like to shave the way I like. Unless I can see a reason there is no need to change the ritual. As I have got older my skin is less forgiving and the preparation and post shave has become increasingly important.

As always, great feedback from everyone. It sounds from this small sample there is the camp that uses preshave/aftershave fairly regularly and another camp that uses these sparingly if at all.

I am definitely going to try some aftershave, especially if my face feels a little irritation, and see
for myself. Who knows, next week I may be the aftershave poster boy :em2300:

I haven't bought or used a pre-shave product. Normally I wet my face after washing with soap (sometimes the soap I'm going to shave with), apply a tiny bit of cream or soap as a pre-shave, then apply the actual cream or soap and face-lather. Once I'm done, I splash on a little aftershave, more for the strong(ish) sensation than anything, and put on a little moisturizing cream (inexpensive stuff from Dollar Tree, but it works). Clubman powder at the last. No real need to spend a lot of $$$ on a range of products, unless you want to.

Yesterday I did try some apple cider vinegar before the shave as an astringent, on the recommendation of a poster here. Nice prickliness, but I'm not sure it noticeably improved my shave.

Not long ago, I was using a pre-shave when I was shaving my head. It made it slicker and helped the razor glide better. I don't really use it now since my soaps seem to work well enough on their own. I would probably only use this now if I bought a poor performing soap that needed a little help.

I also once used an alum block to help with relieve irritation and for its astringent properties. I then switched to witch hazel. Both, the alum block especially, can dry your face or head when applied. Thus, I use a skin food type aftershave or balm to help counter that. It doesn't hurt that aftershaves and balms are scented, at least for me.

As always, great feedback from everyone. It sounds from this small sample there is the camp that uses preshave/aftershave fairly regularly and another camp that uses these sparingly if at all.

I am definitely going to try some aftershave, especially if my face feels a little irritation, and see
I find sometimes I crave the refreshing sting of an alcohol based aftershave. Get yourself a bottle of Pinaud Clubman aftershave. The alcohol has an antiseptic effect on your scraped skin and the burn doesn't linger too long. Sometimes I barely feel a burn but sometimes after a rough shave I get a good jolt. It will point out your trouble spots! Strangely though, it seems to have a calming effect to my skin so that after a few minutes my skin feels great! There are many members who "crave the burn".

North East Scotland is usually quite cold and windy, when I moved here I started to get quite dry, cracked and sore skin in general (this is back when I used electric or cartridge razors) but since I've been using "face stuff" (for me that's a moisturiser, hyaluronic acid and face serum) in the morning and in the evening my skin has been a significantly better and I very rarely get dry skin anymore (it's now limited to occasional chapped lips). When I started DE shaving, I just incorporated my general skin care products into my shaving routine in an order that makes sense when you look at how they work and their ingredients.

I find sometimes I crave the refreshing sting of an alcohol based aftershave. Get yourself a bottle of Pinaud Clubman aftershave. The alcohol has an antiseptic effect on your scraped skin and the burn doesn't linger too long. Sometimes I barely feel a burn but sometimes after a rough shave I get a good jolt. It will point out your trouble spots! Strangely though, it seems to have a calming effect to my skin so that after a few minutes my skin feels great! There are many members who "crave the burn".

Sounds like a little S&M :p. Will have to try it!

Try several as they are not all created equal. Do yourself a favor and make one of them Captain's Choice Nor'Easter. It is simply wonderful stuff. He has samples available if you do not want to risk the money on a full size.

Reactions: dfs
I think for some guys the shaving routine is like their own private spa treatment. A luxurious relaxing break from the world. It is for me. Every extra step in the process extends the mini spa-day. My routine is simple but I think I get why some people have a 6- or 7- step process.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
North East Scotland is usually quite cold and windy, when I moved here I started to get quite dry, cracked and sore skin in general (this is back when I used electric or cartridge razors) but since I've been using "face stuff" (for me that's a moisturiser, hyaluronic acid and face serum) in the morning and in the evening my skin has been a significantly better and I very rarely get dry skin anymore (it's now limited to occasional chapped lips). When I started DE shaving, I just incorporated my general skin care products into my shaving routine in an order that makes sense when you look at how they work and their ingredients.
Before the pandemic I used to visit Aberdeen often as I work for a company in the oil and gas industry. I stayed at the Inn On The Park by Duthie Park - I preferred a pub to a hotel. I would certainly pay more attention to skin care if I lived in Aberdeen and more so if I went offshore👍

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Quality soaps are meeting my needs and that’s the only thing going on my face. I’m getting great results for my skin type. I use a splash in moderation for fragrance and my drugstore scents tend to mellow quickly. A balm came in handy for irritation when I first started out but no longer necessary.

I like to mix it up. Some days, it's just hot towel, hard soap shave, and MAYBE a splash of witch hazel. Other days, it's a complete Proraso green pre-shave, super-lathered soap and cream, their aftershave, and balm. I've gotten a great shave from both preps, but only one will leave your face feeling Rinfrescante!

Reactions: dfs
This is all about what works for you.

In the 8 years I've been back to wet shaving, I have tried a lot of stuff and decided to not go again. I used pre-shave oil for a while, but gave it up since it wasn't for me.

I have several other pre-shave products I've also tried that I will not purchase again - again because they did not do anything for my shaves.

I do like using different aftershaves and colognes because I like the different scents.

Top Bottom