What's new

All open combs kinda look alike, HOW CAN I TELL THEM APART?

This is a gillette big fellow, but how can you tell what's what without a case. most of these open combs all look same. i just got into open comb shavers and love it. I bought a 1920 open comb(ebay)and a merkur(b/b member) and im waiting on a senator and tto.but like i said they all look alike:confused:X

This is a gillette big fellow, but how can you tell what's what without a case. most of these open combs all look same. i just got into open comb shavers and love it. I bought a 1920 open comb(ebay)and a merkur(b/b member) and im waiting on a senator and tto.but like i said they all look alike:confused:X

You could go here and study the pictures.

I do believe that there are some types of razor that are differentiated entirely by their packaging. Might also be able to correlate the packaging with serial numbers, but I am just guessing at that.

I do believe that there are some types of razor that are differentiated entirely by their packaging. Might also be able to correlate the packaging with serial numbers, but I am just guessing at that.

I do the same, I find myself going to mr-razor's website frequently during the day.

Sometimes I check the number codes.

The diamond patterned New Improved can be a Bostonian, Richwood, or New Standard depending on the box it came in. More unique razors suchas the Chippendale or Algonquin have distinct etchings on the razor head.

The diamond patterned New Improved can be a Bostonian, Richwood, or New Standard depending on the box it came in. More unique razors suchas the Chippendale or Algonquin have distinct etchings on the razor head.

that's what i mean, theres no way to tell them apart with out the package/case it seems. im trying though

man thanks for the link. i had to get a towel to stop the drueling..man those are some gems on that site

The head design sets the basic types.

Old: 3-hole base is curved.
New Improved: 3-hole base is flat.
NEW: No longer a three-hole design.

But there's a way to tell, without looking at the head:

Check the difference between the Bostonian and the New Standard, in the back, (between the handle and knob), the Bostonian-and Richwood- have a code while the New Standard, and some others don't.

Also, the 1933 NEW Belmont England von Leon. Also has that code... I guess now you'll be able to tell apart between a New Standard and the "nicer" New razors hehe.

I know I've been looking at mr-razor´s website for too long hehe!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

so for this particular set(boston and new standard) just the set numbers on handle area can tell them apart..besides that they are identical twins. i may have to start looking at the mr razor site too

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Keep this going, I am bewildered & bedazzled by the old vs new vs new improved vs .. but the variety in the early 20th century is seemingly endless

Here's a little help (or maybe just more confusion :wink:):

proxy.php

A Old Type with thin 102 cap
B Old Type with thicker 102A cap (kind of an oddball)
C New Improved (sold as New Standard, Bostonian, and Richwood)
D Common Bar Handle NEW with short teeth
E Common Bar Handle NEW with long teeth
F NEW De Luxe (chrome plated with heavy flat base plate)

proxy.php

A Old Type with thin 102 cap
B Old Type with thicker 102A cap (kind of an oddball)
C New Improved (sold as New Standard, Bostonian, and Richwood)
D Common Bar Handle NEW with short teeth
E Common Bar Handle NEW with long teeth
F NEW De Luxe (chrome plated with heavy flat base plate)
ok i can see the diference with the long teeth. but all else is like identical. maybe some are a little bigger

Big Fellow remains Big Fellow, with and without case. He is bigger than a "normal" Old Type with tube handle.

Now I got confused... on mr-razor's website, and if you see on the pics. I uploaded (taken from his website)
the New Standard's knob has the same texture than the Bostonian and Richwood.

But on razor n blade's picture, the New Standard seems to have the diamond on the knob punched in.

Is that a different razor? or different year? I knew I saw a razor the the diamond "punched in" but I can't remember where.
Thanks

Now I got confused... on mr-razor's website, and if you see on the pics. I uploaded (taken from his website)
the New Standard's knob has the same texture than the Bostonian and Richwood.

But on razor n blade's picture, the New Standard seems to have the diamond on the knob punched in.

Is that a different razor? or different year? I knew I saw a razor the the diamond "punched in" but I can't remember where.
Thanks

Actually, r_n_b's New Improved isn't your standard version. It is an Aristocrat. They have a slightly different knob than the version that came in the New Standard, Bostonian, et cetera sets.

proxy.php

1928 Aristocrat in gold

proxy.php

Actually, r_n_b's New Improved isn't your standard version. It is an Aristocrat. They have a slightly different knob than the version that came in the New Standard, Bostonian, et cetera sets.

good eyes! I´ve never seen the difference before. :redface: I´m learning every day.

Top Bottom