What's new

All Metal CA Compliant CCW

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Lots of members in the B&B shooting sports sub forum, have Ruger SP101's. Here's mine :)

thumbnail.jpg

I have confirmed that my range has the Sig P239 (40 S&W), Ruger SP101 (357 Mag), and Springfield 1911 EMP (9mm) for rent. I'd like to try the Kimber Ultra Carry II (45 ACP) but they don't have it for rent. Which is my short list, for now. I will be headed down there on Sunday to spend a few rounds. Truth be told, I'll probably end up with more than one from that list...eventually, but I have to start somewhere.

Not a lot to add to the discussion, I'm a wheel gun guy generally so I second those revolver recommendations. Didn't go 'bang'? Just pull the trigger again.

I notice you have a 1911 platform on your list; if you like the 1911 compact you should look at the Armscor (Rock Island) 1911 A-1 CS .45acp - definitely within your budget and pretty well reviewed.

Of those listed, I would go CZ Rami first, then the kahr mk9. I wouldn’t consider either to be a boot gun however.

I do not hike much anymore, but I personally wouldn’t add the weight of a gun, especially all metal to my ankle. I would think it will throw off your stride adding stress to hips and back. I would also reconsider the all metal as well unless you heart is sold on a nice revolver for snake shot. Ounces feel like pounds when you’re out on a trail. I completely agree with you on the nostalgia of classic all metal guns, I imagine just about everybody in here does, but at the end of the day a gun is just a tool. Just my .02

I have an SP-101 and i really like it other than I need to install the Wolff springs i got for it. Factory trigger is a little stout. They are a little heavy. My current EDC is a Smith 442 in a deSantis pocket holster.

I don't have one but if you've opened the choices to revolvers the Colt Night Cobra looks really appealing.

S&W makes a (big) revolver in 10mm now...

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

At least four! Kind of odd.

Wholeheartedly recommend the Meprolite front sight I installed a couple of weeks ago. Also just modified a Safariland shoulder rig for it, cold weather is a'coming.

AA

Does the Meprolite work on a stainless steel fixed blade?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Does the Meprolite work on a stainless steel fixed blade?

My SP-101 - pretty sure all of them - has/had a blue steel blade, pinned in with a 1/16" pin. The Meprolite front sight blade looks just like it, but with embedded tritium vial. It is a wonderful and easy upgrade to Ruger's little tank. $36.

Rear sight is just a frame notch, but the tritium front is bright enough to make a "light puddle" on the top of the frame in the dark. I'm having no problem getting a perfect sight picture in utter blackness.

AA

OkieStubble

My SP-101 - pretty sure all of them - has/had a blue steel blade, pinned in with a 1/16" pin. The Meprolite front sight blade looks just like it, but with embedded tritium vial. It is a wonderful and easy upgrade to Ruger's little tank. $36.

Rear sight is just a frame notch, but the tritium front is bright enough to make a "light puddle" on the top of the frame in the dark. I'm having no problem getting a perfect sight picture in utter blackness.

AA

I will check it out. :)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
At least four! Kind of odd.

Wholeheartedly recommend the Meprolite front sight I installed a couple of weeks ago. Also just modified a Safariland shoulder rig for it, cold weather is a'coming.

AA

Was it the ML10992? My SP101 has the brass bead front site. I actually find it kind of hard to see, I am trying to avoid wearing my damn reading glasses to shoot.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Was it the ML10992? My SP101 has the brass bead front site. I actually find it kind of hard to see, I am trying to avoid wearing my damn reading glasses to shoot.

This one:

Meprolight Ruger Tru-Dot Night Sight SP101-38 Spcl/.357 Mag ML10992

Yup.

Relatively easy install; one hole to drill in the blade (I used a dremel).

And @shoelessjoe has tips; got the idea from him.

AA

Well, the verdict is in. I spent a couple hours at the range yesterday. The range didn't have the P239 in 40S&W but I did shoot the 9mm version. I was also able to rent the Springfield EMP in 9mm and the SP101. I am delighted to report that I will be purchasing all 3...eventually.

Due to price and availability, even thought it's out of production, I purchased a P239 with 6 magazines. I'll be able to show it off in about 6 weeks. Apparently background checkers are being overwhelmed with requests.

I think I'll be checking gunbroker daily for the EMP. That was a very nice, and small, version of the 1911. The 1911 is by far my favorite handgun platform.

I can see the SP-101 being my hiking gun. I think snake shot is not allowed in California, because it turns your handgun into a short barreled shotgun, but this combo really seems to be the ticket as I don't really expect to encounter a bear, and if I do, I hope a warning shot would be enough. And mountain lions are protected in CA.

Based on some of the feedback here, I am now reconsidering carry positions and options. I am considering the Urban Carry G3.

OkieStubble

Well, the verdict is in. I spent a couple hours at the range yesterday. The range didn't have the P239 in 40S&W but I did shoot the 9mm version. I was also able to rent the Springfield EMP in 9mm and the SP101. I am delighted to report that I will be purchasing all 3...eventually.

Due to price and availability, even thought it's out of production, I purchased a P239 with 6 magazines. I'll be able to show it off in about 6 weeks. Apparently background checkers are being overwhelmed with requests.

I think I'll be checking gunbroker daily for the EMP. That was a very nice, and small, version of the 1911. The 1911 is by far my favorite handgun platform.

I can see the SP-101 being my hiking gun. I think snake shot is not allowed in California, because it turns your handgun into a short barreled shotgun, but this combo really seems to be the ticket as I don't really expect to encounter a bear, and if I do, I hope a warning shot would be enough. And mountain lions are protected in CA.

Based on some of the feedback here, I am now reconsidering carry positions and options. I am considering the Urban Carry G3.

Have a can of some potent bear spray to go along with that warning shot, just in case.

Top Bottom