What's new

All Metal CA Compliant CCW

Good afternoon all,

I have improved my diet and have been loosing weight. My energy has really skyrocketed also and have begun to hike in the hills of Southern California. Over the course of the last 8 months, even with the COVID lockdown I have seen and photographed 8 rattlesnakes, 3 coyotes, and last weekend 1 mountain lion (sadly, no pictures of that one). My plan is to start doing over night and 3 day hikes next year.

Anywho, I have decided it’s time to start brining a handgun with me. I have a Springfield 1911 that I use as a side arm when I’m hunting but because of the political atmosphere in southern CA I feel like a smaller concealed weapon would be more appropriate and once I have my CCW permit it’ll be an edc. I have spent the week pouring over the Roster of Certified Handguns and have selected a few that I like. I was hoping the community would help me select “the one.”

My parameters are, in order of importance to me (and why):
On the Roster (I live in SoCal and it’s illegal to purchase anything not on the roster)
Small (I plan to carry this firearm in my boot because I am a big fella and I feel like it would print if carried elsewhere, and I don’t wear a coat so a shoulder harness is kind of out of the question also)
All metal (I like “old school” including; vacuum tube HAM radios, tobacco pipes, carbureted motors, aged whiskey, and straight razors. And, I like weapons that are metal with wood stocks.)
Stopping power (If I ever need to use this weapon, I strongly suspect it will be against wildlife predator [mountain lion, brown bear, etc] but in the event that it happens to be a human, I’d like to be prepared)
Accuracy (I will need to qualify with this handgun. In the event that I have to actually use it, I suspect it will be at very close range)

The list I have narrowed it down to is:
Bersa Firestorm
CZ 2075 RAMI
Kahr MK40
Kahr MK9
Sig P238
Sig P239
Springfield 1911 EMP Compact

My budget is around $800 but I’m flexible.

I am open to suggestions and look forward to the debate. Please let me know what you think.

Regards,
Dale

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
If you are worried about bears, and not calling you out but are you referring to grizzly bears? I think brownies are an Alaska thing. I have seen one of those up in Sequoia. She was a big blonde with cubs and she was sitting in a meadow with the grasses up to her shoulders. I was awestruck at 1) how big she was and 2) what IDIOTS some tourists are. There were a few that were mere feet from her babies (but not between or it would have been a blood bath!) Anyways, I stepped off in that grass a long ways off and couldn't see over the top of it at 5'11". If bears are a concern I would start at a HOT 10mm and go up from there. Mountain lions? Thinner skinned so a hot 9mm, .40 S&W, or a .45ACP would work. I have a friend that lives in Corona and likes to do the same long hikes, primative camping and on one outing swore a big cat was stalking him. He carries a Springfield M-1A scout squad rifle with him now. Hopefully the loud bang will do the trick deterring either of those critters but I would still aim center mass. And head on a swivel, they have stealth in spades despite their size!

Last edited:
I stand corrected, I should have looked it up. There have been reports of black bears in the forests I hike. Thanks for catching my error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
...I have seen and photographed 8 rattlesnakes, 3 coyotes, and last weekend 1 mountain lion (sadly, no pictures of that one)...

... Small (I plan to carry this firearm in my boot...

...I feel like a smaller concealed weapon would be more appropriate and once I have my CCW permit it’ll be an edc ... I was hoping the community would help me select “the Stopping power (If I ever need to use this weapon, I strongly suspect it will be against wildlife predator [mountain lion, brown bear, etc] but in the event that it happens to be a human, I’d like to be prepared)...

...Accuracy (I will need to qualify with this handgun...

...The list I have narrowed it down to is:
Bersa Firestorm
CZ 2075 RAMI
Kahr MK40
Kahr MK9
Sig P238
Sig P239
Springfield 1911 EMP Compact...

My preferences for a “boot gun”...

From your narrowed down list, Sig’s P239 steel/alloy chambered for the .357 Sig

From the Cali Approved list & IMO the most versatile (snake; couger; bear; coyote; bi-peds) option(s), .357 Magnum revolvers that can be carried w/a combo of CCI snake shot, hardcast &/or hollow point rounds.

- My first choice would be Sturm Ruger’s, SP-101 (aka, nikonNUT & California’s KSP-321XL-LG (2-1/4”/.357 Mag) 😊

- Sturm Ruger KGPF-331 (3”/.357 Mag)

- S&W 60-15 Pro Series (3”/.357 Mag)

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I stand corrected, I should have looked it up. There have been reports of black bears in the forests I hike. Thanks for catching my error.

No worries! Years ago I was told you could tell the difference by climbing a tree in a bear encounter. If the bear climbed up after you it was a black bear and if it knocked the tree over it was a grizzly! :lol: I see no mention of a Glock. @OkieStubble will sing their praises and I won't belittle them (I have 2 <sigh> :lol: ). Yes, they have a polymer component but still tough as nails! The compacts offer 10+1 (Might as well carry as much payload as CA will allow) and they are durable as hammers! Lot's of caliber choices open up as well. 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, .357 Sig...

Last edited:

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
So, the KSP-321XL-LG-Satin Stainless & the SP-101 are one in the same??! I’ve ever known the SP-101 by any other name 😆

Kind of reminds me of the woman in Blitz-torn London, who when asked if she was worried about the bread shortage, replied by saying: “No, all we ever eat is toast.”

Last edited:
I don’t know why I wrote off revolvers so quickly. I guess I thought they would be too wide bodied. I actually have the Smith & Wesson Model 625-8 JM on my wishlist, just not for this application. I think this is going to take more time.

Thanks for all the helpful information.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My preferences for a “boot gun”...

From your narrowed down list, Sig’s P239 steel/alloy chambered for the .357 Sig

From the Cali Approved list & IMO the most versatile (snake; couger; bear; coyote; bi-peds) option(s), .357 Magnum revolvers that can be carried w/a combo of CCI snake shot, hardcast &/or hollow point rounds.

- My first choice would be Sturm Ruger’s, SP-101 (aka, nikonNUT & California’s KSP-321XL-LG (2-1/4”/.357 Mag) 😊

- Sturm Ruger KGPF-331 (3”/.357 Mag)

- S&W 60-15 Pro Series (3”/.357 Mag)

What he said.

If I may ask...why a boot carry? Even if you are of a large build you should be able to hide a smallish one very well...and be able to get to it quick. I didn't go through the stupid CA list, but a revolver should pass muster.

A 4" .357 revolver would be great for snakes and black bear. You could mix CCI shot shells for snakes and heavy SWC loads for black bear in a cylinder and not have to worry about functioning problems with a semi-automatic. I do like 3" barrels though...very much.

I really, really wish I could find a 3" S&W Model 13.

I have a 3" Charter Arms Bulldog Classic that I really like...it's light and small...but a .44 Special in that small and light of a firearm may be a bit much for some people.

And good luck finding a firearm, and ammo, in today's climate. Glad I've been stocked up for awhile.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Another thing to consider is a pouch like The Wilderness Safe Packer that doesn't look like a holster. Any gun big enough to put down a bear will be too big for boot carry, at least for comfortable all day hiking.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Also boot carry requires stooping down to get at whatever you choose. In the case of bears, yotes or big cats stooping down simply says "food" while in the case of nolegs it means "thanks for making it easy".

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am a big dude. I can carry a SP-101 all day OWB and you would never know it's there. I just wear a shirt that is long and big. Mine is a 2.25" but I could hide a 4" just as easy. As stated above that does give you the option of shot shells. Or you could throw concealability to the wind and carry a 6" Judge. :lol:

You left out a nice one, the little Sig P938, a step up in power from the P238 you listed, 9mm instead of .380 acp. Personally since you mention things like mountain lions and possibly black bear I would still go on up to a 45 if a semi auto. I have an older Kimber Ultra Carry, and not bad to conceal, but not as easy to conceal as one of the little micro sized arms. A small revolver in .357 Mag would be a good choice also, plenty of power for those larger predators you mentioned.

Value+quality of construction+reliability+ease of use+effective caliber=Ruger SP101 2 1/4" barrel.
No, I do not own one (I have a Ruger GP100). For a small-ish .357 revolver, I carry a Colt King Cobra.
Truth be told, the Ruger SP101 is a better buy.......
IMG_0555.jpeg

Last edited:
I might be sold on the SP101. It's defiantly high on my shopping list.

The Sig P938 is not on the California Roster. I did include the P239 which comes in 9×19mm, .357 SIG and .40 S&W. The P239 in .40 S&W is currently the front runner followed closely by the SP101 if I can find one.

Edit: I have also been eyeing the Kimber Ultra Carry II but I thought it might be too large on account of the .45 cartridge.

I might be sold on the SP101. It's defiantly high on my shopping list.

The Sig P938 is not on the California Roster. I did include the P239 which comes in 9×19mm, .357 SIG and .40 S&W. The P239 in .40 S&W is currently the front runner followed closely by the SP101 if I can find one.

Edit: I have also been eyeing the Kimber Ultra Carry II but I thought it might be too large on account of the .45 cartridge.

Understand, but must comment that the California Roster is absurd. If the Sig P238 is on the roster and the P938 is not. They are essentially the same with the P938 being marginally larger and chambered in 9mm vs the P238 being slightly smaller and chambered in .380 auto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now they are trying to pass legislation that for every handgun that gets added to the list, 2 have to be removed. I don't like it but that's as much as I care to comment on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just took a quick look at the California "list".
Personal philosophies aside, I cannot see where thinning this catalog would necessarily be a harmful thing.
I mean....here is one example of what is presently certified for sale in the Golden State😖. In Majestic Pink no less!!
Odd so many quality pistols were de-certified. California, go figure.

Manufacturer:
Cobra Enterprises
Model:
CB38 (Majestic Pink)
Handgun Type:
Derringer
Caliber:
.38 Spl
Barrel Length:
2.75"
Materials:
Alloy; Steel