What's new

All in one kit

Can anyone suggest a kit that contains everything I'd need for skincare regimen? I am thinking it will contain the following:
1. face wash/cleanser
2. recommended shaving cream
3. recommended after shave (preferably with moisturizer and spf all in one)
4. moisturizer (to use at night)
5. Deo/Cologone to use during the day (okay, this is not skin care, but this is generally important, I think).

I could buy each product separately. But I am not sure what goes with what. So, I'd prefer a kit that has products that work nicely with each other. I mean, if I were to get a Brut's aftershave and then use a Calvin Klein moisturizer on top of it - I'd end up smelling like..I don't know but probably not good.

My skin is acne prone so I also want to be sure that each product is non-comedogenic.

I used Proactiv acne system for few months (4 years ago) and it was pretty good. I don't have acne anymore so I don't want to use that. But a kit along those lines would be nice. It had a cleanser, toner, and moisturizer.

Last edited:
Oh boy! I have been reading this forum and I am blown away by the sheer amount of information. My dad uses DE razor with some feather blades. But when I got to shaving age, Mach 3 was already out and that's what my dad bought me. I've been using this Mach 3 types for over 5 years now and it looks like I should have started with a DE to begin-with, just like my dad.

Oh well, now, I need some more recommendations:

1. Razor: I am from India, so I don't get all these fancy brands there. There is a local "7 o clock" razor. That's what my dad uses. I could possibly order something online from the US. It'd be expensive but may be worth the price.

2. Shaving brush: not sure. I will get whatever my dad has spare (for now). I don't use any shaving brush right now because I just spread the shaving gel using my fingers.

3. Shaving Cream: I currently use Nivea Sensitive Skin Shaving gel (though, I don't think my skin is sensitive. I use it because someone gave it to me. Before this, I was using Gillete Fusion gel that came with my Gillete Fusion Power Razor).

4. After Shave: I don't use any right now. But I am thinking
a. Neutrogena Triple Protect. It will also work as a moisturizer. Or
b. Brut After Shave balm (and then use a separate moisturizer on top); or
c. well, suggestions are welcome

5. Moisturizer: no idea, I've combination oily skin. I don't use it right now. But having read lot of articles, I am assuming that it's a 'must'.

6. Cologne/Deodrant/Perfume: I use Axe Phoenix deodorant and I also use Jean Paul Gaultier cologne/perfume. Sometimes I use Brut's classic (green colored can) deo spray.

I'd appreciate your suggestions.

If you don't have any spending limits, here's what I like (I have acne prone skin as well):

Face wash: DeVita Aloe Vera Moisture Cleanser (you can get this at health food stores usually, or online). People here seem to like Musgo Real Glyc Soap. That can be found at Westcoastshaving.com
Cream: ummm...I like Proraso. And eShave is good too. No cream is gonna last long enough to clash with your cologne, so get whatever you like.
Aftershave: I've loved the QEDman unscented Aftershave skin conditioner (doubles as a moisturizer for night. Get it at qedusa.com. Look on the left of the site for the words "Other Fabulous Toiletry blah blah blah" click that and scroll down. It's hard to see, but it's great stuff), the Nivea Sensitive skin ASB, and the Jason 6 in 1 aftershave (health food stores or online).
Moisturizer: I use QED. I've tested some Anthony Logistics products as well and they're pretty great. Can find them at Sephora (kind of expensive though)
Deo/Cologne: I use Crystal (thats the brand) deodorant. As for Cologne, I don't worry much, since most of my aftershaves aren't so intensely scented. I use the new Versace one that comes in a black box. Use whatever you like. Just go smell them. Creed Santal smells freakin awesome, but I'm not rich enough ;)

Cream: ummm...I like Proraso. And eShave is good too. No cream is gonna last long enough to clash with your cologne, so get whatever you like.
Aftershave: I've loved the QEDman unscented Aftershave skin conditioner (doubles as a moisturizer for night. Get it at qedusa.com. Look on the left of the site for the words "Other Fabulous Toiletry blah blah blah" click that and scroll down. It's hard to see, but it's great stuff), the Nivea Sensitive skin ASB, and the Jason 6 in 1 aftershave (health food stores or online).

Thanks, heirkb.
This Jason 6 in 1 aftershave sounds like a great thing. I could try it. So, Brut Aftershave Balm is a no go then?

I can't find most other things here (India). A friend of mine is coming from Canada so I can ask him to bring stuff for me from Canada. I can order from "well.ca" - it's a Canadian site and I can have stuff delivered at his place. I didn't find Proraso cream there though. I don't want to order from multiple sites because each site has it's own shipping charge.

I think Brut actually gets good reviews. I know Joel, one of the the board founders, did a review and raved about it. It's part of his review of drugstore aftershaves. I actually haven't tried it (yet), so I can only point you toward the review.

I was going to post yesterday but got sidetracked. You'll be hard pressed to find any definitive answer to your questions. Everybody has their own favorite cream, soap, after shave, etc. If you have a bit of money set aside to spend on this, I think it would be wise to take advantage of your opportunity to have your friend from Canada bring you some gear. I think one of the reputable vendors is Fendrihan.

If I was to build a kit from that vendor, it would be something like this

Razor: Edwin Jagger Classic in Ebony (it's a rebranded Muhle Pinsel razor) $41.95
Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush with stand in Ebony $49.95

The items below I'm just going to post the stuff they carry that are good, and on the less expensive side of things (relatively speaking)

Shaving Cream: Proraso, Omega, J.M. Fraser, Musgo Real, Speick, Taylor of Old Bond Street
Shaving Soap: Omega, Proraso, Provence Sante (just get the refill), Speick, Valobra
Aftershaves: Booster (good to pair up with J.M. Fraser), Proraso, Provence Sante, Speick
Razor blades: You can buy a sampler, but given the $20 sampler includes Merkurs which are pricey, and probably not the best choice, just pick up 10 packs of Derby, Astra, and Feather blades a la carte. You may find Gillette 7 o'clock blades locally that perform well.

You'll usually find aftershaves don't have SPF built in, so you can just buy a moisturizer with SPF separately.

Your friend would have to check the luggage carrying this stuff, there's no way they would let him carry on blades and all these liquids.

Edit: Oh, and for a facial cleanser, I use Cetaphil cleanser. It's as mild as it comes. I don't know if it's geared toward acne prone skin, but my guess is it will not irritate your skin one iota.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the info.

You know, here in India, I sometimes go to barbershop to get a professional shave. This is the normal routine at (pretty much all - fancy or inexpensive regardless) places:
Step 1: hot towel on your face
Step 2: some sort of clear lotion on face
step 3: shaving cream with brush
step 4: put a new blade, shave with a straight razor (single sideed)
step 5: wash face
step 6: second coat of shaving cream
step 7: put another new blade, and shave with straight razor (usually, against the grain this time)
step 8: wash face, apply "alum"
step 9: splash some after-shave
step 10: apply some cream, pay and leave
Usually everything is in non-descript/non-branded bottles, so I don't know what brands they use. But most salons claim to use "herbal" products only. I don't know how true that is.

Total cost: 25 cents to 5 dollars, depending on how much of a fancy location you are at. I've lived in Toronto, Vancouver, Dallas and Philadelphia and I didn't find any reasonable shaving place. But here it's pretty common. I mean, every salon offers shaving. And usually there is one within 2 mins driving distance.

Oh, there are also shavers/barbers with stalls on side-streets. They cost even less (10 cents) but I don't go there because of hygienic reasons. I know a few people go there everyday but they take their own blades with them.

I usually get this wet-shave done at barbershop when I've to go to a party because their shave is pretty damn close. My self-shave (using Gillete Mach3 or Fusion) is not that close. But now I will start wet-shaving on my own. I am in India only temporarily. I will be back in Canada sometime in November this year. Thanks to information on this forum, and all your advises, I will hopefully be good enough in wet-shaving techniques to manage on my own. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom